Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 I Am Mother 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

I Am Mother 
Keeping it Light

Post I Am Mother

Quote:
I Am Mother is a 2019 science fiction thriller film directed by Grant Sputore, from a screenplay by Michael Lloyd Green. Starring Clara Rugaard, Luke Hawker, Rose Byrne, and Hilary Swank, the film follows Daughter, a girl in a post-apocalyptic bunker, being raised by Mother, an android supposed to aid in the repopulation of Earth.

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:28 am
Waitress in LA

Post Re: I Am Mother
Sleek tightly-filmed sci fi apocalypse film well worth checking out - much, much, much better than its lowly marketing suggests. Probably the smartest AI script since Ex Machina in terms of the concept; the ending keeps getting better, has none of the usual let-down you get from small budget sci-fi.

Just a weird thing an Aussie production felt the need to use American accents. Surely the ‘Screen Australia’ emblem at the beginning undercuts that sort of pretence from the get-go (makes it seem like you’re in for something B-grade and shitty, even though the production’s top notch). Not sure how a green light required that the filmmakers suck up to the least cultured denominator in the audience. It’s like Attenborough being replaced by Sigourney Weaver in Planet Earth: hasn’t that stuff been proven stupid by the popularity of Game of Thrones and Black Mirror, and so on?

Audiences can handle different accents so long as the content isn’t unfamiliar; so long as it doesn’t contain too many colloquialisms and so on. At this point, that Aussie material needs American branding to make money, seems fairly fucked in the head. Netflix is supposed to be an international platform, not a machine of globalisation for the propagation of the American vernacular. Ultimately not a big deal in terms of this film, but it would have been nice for something as high quality as this to have been as recognisably Australian on the surface as it is under the hood.

If you’re interested in AI theory and where things might head once the singularity is reached, can recommend watching this immediately. The implications the film makes are massive, but the logic is tight enough to allow it all as a potential in the real world; (SPOILERS) that a self-aware AI would ensure human flourishing by eradicating human weakness, is at this stage philosophically plausible enough, to give the film way more weight than you might expect going in. Kind of like a Waterworld closer to home.

Lead actress is fantastic, too.

A

Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:17 pm
Keeping it Light

I watched this about 2 months ago and I remember liking the first part with the built up quite a lot, but it kind of lost me in the second half and I don't think I even recall the ending anymore. The idea of the world being controlled by robots because of after an apocalypse is interesting, but I missed any material to invoke any deep thoughts about it. I guess I just experienced it differently than the review above. I've always liked Swank so it's nice to see her in this.

B-

Mon May 11, 2020 1:49 am
Forum General

I remember enjoying this as well. Really liked the world building and Swank gives a pretty solid performance in it too, but the ending wasn't the strongest. Didn't mind the lead girl either and Rose Byrne was perfectly voice casted as the android.

B-

Last edited by Dil on Mon May 11, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 11, 2020 7:10 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Rose Byrne was so good in this as the voice of the andriod. The rest of the movie was decent but at times too contained. Would not have minded to see more of the world ran by androids. Swank was decent in this. Still an overall solid movie specially towards the second half.

Mon May 11, 2020 11:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]