Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Captain Marvel 

Grade?
A 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 11 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 22

Captain Marvel 
now we know

Post Captain Marvel

Quote:
Captain Marvel is a 2019 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Carol Danvers. Produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, it is the twenty-first film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The film is written and directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, with Geneva Robertson-Dworet also contributing to the screenplay. Brie Larson stars as Danvers, alongside Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn, Djimon Hounsou, Lee Pace, Lashana Lynch, Gemma Chan, Annette Bening, Clark Gregg, and Jude Law. Set in 1995, the story follows Danvers as she becomes Captain Marvel after the Earth is caught in the center of a galactic conflict between two alien worlds.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:24 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Captain Marvel
Looks generic

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:29 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

It is generic and the first half is a head scratching mess. Everything in this seems so generic like it's checking all the boxes without trying, even the comedy feels forced. I guess they got scared of making another Black Panther overshadowing their main Avengers series again.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:21 pm
Ocarina of Time

I heard the villain Talos and Goose the cat are the best on this turd

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:10 pm
Cream of the Crop

Looks like Black Panther with Cosima Wagner replacing Simba. I'm not going to watch this latest iteration.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
The Antichrist

About on par with the recent MCU products, excluding Thor Ragnarok (the Naked Gun of superheroes) and Infinity War (which was nothing less than a masterpiece of its genre). A little funny at times, but not much. Brie Larson has been a very good choice for the CM role, and Samuel Jackson is great as usual. Unfortunately the action scenes were pretty lame (like it had to deal with a sub-100M budget), the antagonists have no substance and the feminist message just felt too artificial and studied, certainly not as natural and tactful as Wonder Woman's (which is matter-of-factly a superior film under every aspect). We have 4 positive/strong female characters, equally distributed by age and skin color - this is just too much.

6.5/10 (C+)

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:39 pm
Extraordinary

... it was okay. Nothing outrageously bad but nothing memorable. The movie kind of feels low energy most of the time, feel like it won't have any replay value for me. Also the buildup to her discovering who she is just isn't compelling, while it should be.

I will say that Brie Larson surprised me. From the trailers her performance comes across as cringy but in the actual film she has several moments that show she is a gifted actress. Curious to see how she's utilized in End Game.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:05 am
Forum General

It's a pretty solid MCU origin film nothing more nothing less. I thought Brie Larson really worked most of the time, especially in her scenes with SLJ, but at times I did think her line delivery was a bit off and I still don't know whether its because of her performance in those scenes or if its because of the writing/direction in those scenes. Ben Mendelssohn and Sam Jackson are easily the best parts of this movie though and I didn't even mind Jude Law or Lashana Lynche's characters. The action sequences were fine, although I was surprised by how much of it took place in such poorly lit areas. Also, a lot of the cool stuff where we get to see what she can actually do was already mostly given away in the trailers and the tv spots which is just a shame. Also, Lee Pace, Clark Gregg and Djimon Hounsou were so underutilized that its not even funny. I mean I would honestly go as far as to call their inclusion in this as needless fan service on the most surface level.

B-

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:56 pm
now we know

Honestly, it was forgettable. Generic and low-key most of the time. But still way, way, way better than the awful Wonder Woman. My biggest gripe was that apart from the train chase sequence, a lot of the fights were very badly-lit (made even worse with the darkening 3D glasses) and very hard to see what was happening. Though I guess the final scene when she learns to fly is pretty cool when compared to everything else in the film (but is shit when held up against most other MCU entries). I guess I'm just getting bored of this type of flick. They're kinda all the same, and this did nothing different or special to warrant any praise.

The Skrulls were ridiculous. Bad prosthetic and kinda lame as a species. Like something out Alf the TV series. Or Star Trek Deep Space Nine. But making Sam Jackson younger was well done. And it was good to see how he lost his eye, no matter how ridiculous it was. Also cool to see Lee Pace back as Ronan. Loved that character.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Like Dil, I would say B-
It's on the level of Thor: Dark World/Hulk. Enjoyable, good but on the lower end of the MCU. I felt that this was the first time Marvel went cosmic and it just didn't work. Too alien. Too far. GOTG and Thor show that you can make it work but you have to put in the work of grounding the setting/characters/rules and physics of the world.I don't feel that they did a good job of that. Poorly realized world and characters. All the Kree stuff in the beginning felt like the DCEU.

The atmosphere in my auditorium was tepid and muted. There were some laughs but not many. I even dozed off a couple of times. I can see this getting a low multiplier. Low 2s.

Some cons:
I felt like they should have done more work in familiarizing us with the Kree, with her powers, etc. A more linear origin story would have worked better.

I felt that the film threw "I am woman, hear me roar" themes in your face. It was a bit much. Perhaps they felt compelled to go with a female director (she was co-director) but there were better ones - Kathy Bigelow, Patty Jenkins.

Lack of explanation behind her powers, especially when they went into overdrive towards the end of the film. "Energy core/reactor" were given as reasons and I suppose the Tessaract played some role, but it almost felt DCEU-ish in terms of flashy cosmic powers with little substance.

The Kree and their world were poorly realized. I did not make the connection with them in GOTG. I couldn't help wondering how a human can breathe their air. What does she eat? How is she not constantly wondering why she is different (or maybe their civilization is full of alien races).

The comedy felt a little forced (yea, yea, the 90s) and didn't work that well for me, with some exceptions*

I thought Coulson was underused. Would loved to have seen more of him and the beginnings of SHIELD.

Some Pros:
Brie Larson (I want to say Allison Brie) is perfect for the role. Can't wait to see her in Endgame.

Smiled during the Stan Lee nod in the opening credit and of course his cameo (his last I believe)

*Loved the scene of the long wait while the CD-Rom loaded

Great makeup work on SLJ to make him look 25 yrs younger.

Ben Mendelsohn is always great. Good seeing him getting more work.

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:35 pm
Keeping it Light

I enjoyed it. Larson is decent, needed some getting used to her in the part but eventually once she got all her powers she got me there. It's Jackson though who was especially great in character as a young Fury and I enjoyed part of his origin story a bit more even. The twist of the Kree keeping Vers/Carol Danvers captive is pretty good and especially in the third act the film is very engaging. The scenes with Captain Marvel having all of her power are cool action scenes and there's some nice 90's features in the story of Veers going back to her past. Outside of that, the story also drags a bit in the middle part with the human drama. The side of the Skrulls, with what it seems a more obligatory than ideally cast Mendelsohn, seeking a new home never felt very interesting either. And the darkness at which some of the action scenes took place was a bit of a downer, I wouldn't have minded seeing more of Kree's sidekick team too, Minerva and Hounsou were pretty wasted. The jokes are pretty standard Marvel, but it has enough pleasant moments mixed in, with a 90's soundtrack and tie-ins to the MCU that it fits in there as a solid mid-tier entry for me. Comparing it to that other solo female comic book hero film, Wonder Woman, even though Gadot was more convincing with the female hero physicality, Captain Marvel is from front to back a much better crafted film than that.

B

Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:58 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Some good moments, a lot of fluff. Not nearly enough actual story/background on what was going on. Almost purely a film only to get us to Endgame. But Brie was great. Jackson was great. The Skrulls towards the end were interesting. But it was very carbon copy of the Guardians films. Which is why I put it almost precisely on par with the 2nd one.

B+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:02 pm
Forum General

Hmm well I'm kind of surprised both stuffp and Chippy liked it so much. I was honestly expecting reactions more along the lines of Algren, but that's cool that you guys enjoyed it. Also, while I can admit that WW did do some things better, especially when it comes to the hero moments I still liked this film a lot more overall. I don't know maybe its because I'm more invested in this Universe and the characters in this Universe and the fact I actually bought into Brie more as hero than Gal.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:45 pm
Top Poster

Generic Fun. Nothing more or less

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:08 pm
Child Actor

Pfffffffff

C-

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:08 pm
now we know

I fell asleep a few times (about half-an-hour in total). I was tired, but it was a bore-fest. I watched Green Book even later that night and was wide awake.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:01 am
Profile WWW
now we know

You know a blockbuster is bad when not even the Chinese like it.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

It is an unimpressive film. Very comparable to the second Thor in many respects.

Brie Larson downright confuses me. She is tremendous in Short Term 12 and Room, but completely wooden in this and Kong: Skull Island. It is borderline alarming slash fascinating how next to none of the charisma and depth she exhibited in independent films has transitioned to her more mainstream roles.

The world building is rushed and not persuasive. This alien war/genocide is far and away the least interesting Marvel Cinematic Universe milieu since the aforementioned Thor sequel's "dark elves." In their design and texture, the pointy-eared Skrull prosthetic appliances feel straight out of a vintage Power Rangers episode. Also, I adore Ben Mendelsohn, but his Australian accent irritated me here. ;) An alien species communicating in accented English of any type is preposterous to a certain degree, I know, etc., etc., but him being so distinctly Australian is...distracting in a way, say, Jude Law's character sounding British simply isn't. Shrug.

The structure, and the use of amnesia as a plot device, is unsuccessful. It is very tedious waiting for Carol to realize she is in fact from earth, was an Air Force pilot, etc. We always feel twenty-six steps ahead of her.

Captain Marvel as a hero is overpowered; there is no sense of gravity, nor any physicality, as she flits to and fro shooting neon lasers from her fists. The patch limiting her powers is oddly incorporated, too; does the film show it any any point before the third act? It seems to be introduced and destroyed within the space of five minutes.

Even the "Damn It, Crowd, YOU WILL BE PLEASED!" elements fell slightly flat for me: the random moments, for instance, when the film remembers it is set in the 1990s in time for a sight gag or on-the-nose musical cue. The cat is cute, I guess.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:42 pm
The Kramer

Though it is not top tier MCU, I still liked this a lot. The pace is brazy, I was never once bored during the movie even if the FX scenes weren't anything special. The mix of characters they chose had a great chemistry, with the exception of Ronan who didn't really need to be here other than to set the audience up for the "Kree are actually awful" twist up later in the movie. The 'we're already nostalgic for the 80s in the 90s' gave the movie a nice style, I'm glad they didn't make it too grungey or neon like most things in the 90s actually were. The song choices fit, the score was pretty basic though. It was just a good time spending 2 hours in this world - as is usually the case with this franchise.

Brie is mostly good in the role. She is a little stiff, though always bring the right mix of cute and dangerous. The character is pretty stiff in general though, basically Superman with amnesia plus the arrogant misguided fanaticism of the Kree religion. At least they gave her a dry sarcasm to liven it up a bit. Brie doesn't always land these lines perfectly but I laughed a few times. "I could have sworn I put it in there" oh you feisty nuclear woman you. Mendelson is excellent, a perfect casting choice. I expect him to be the villain in every movie, and had no problem with Viers chasing him down without the full story. After the twist is when Brie is best. She seems genuine and authentic when it comes to protecting these disenfranchised people.

Goose is the breakout star. I want a full spin off origin story series on Disney+ next year. Cats (much like girls) are so rarely portrayed in a heroic context by the canine supremacists in and out of Hollywood. I fully support any Felinist agenda this movie puts out even if it means hurting a few fragile dog egos.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:55 pm
The Kramer

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:02 pm
Veteran

Glad to know I'm not the only cat man on these here forums.

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:14 pm
Hold the door!

I thought it was pretty good. Only complaint is that it was hard to follow in the first half, I figured it out halfway through. And it ran pretty long. But the world was interesting and the characters and action were enjoyable to watch. And it wasn’t the “feminist” movie some hysterical people have claimed.

B+

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:12 pm

Yeah, I was surprised, I liked this

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:58 am
Indiana Jones IV

went in with absolutely no expectations. Had a good time. I thought Brie was great. Sam L. was good too, and somehow I wasn't even perturbed (too much) by thinking about how they digitally youngified him. Humor was mostly pretty good, this needed some levity to combat the heaviness of the amnesia/kidnapping/genocide plot. The totally cheeseballs montage moment when Carol accesses her badassness of being a female human, who keeps getting up, was hella dope.

I thought there were hints of an amazing score lurking beneath the generic one we got... same reaction I had to Black Panther. In that film I wanted to amplify and expand the percussive tribal flavor, here there were shimmers of Daft Punk's Tron electro-neon synth that would've made this way more bad ass and unique.

fucking.... Jude Law. why do I want to fuck you more when you're a
Spoiler: show
bad guy
with yellow eyes?

Comments like "the feminist angle felt too calculated because there were multiple strong female characters of various races and ages" causes me to queef violently while my eyes threaten to detach from my ocular nerve due to severe eye roll reaction.

Give Disney and Marvel all your money! stop resisting!

B

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:08 pm
The Kramer

If Goose ate the Infinity Gauntlet would the snap only affect the beings inside the pocket universe within his stomach?

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next