Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Destroyer 

Grade?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Destroyer 
now we know

Post Destroyer

Quote:
Destroyer is a 2018 American crime drama directed by Karyn Kusama, from a screenplay by Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi. It stars Nicole Kidman, Toby Kebbell, Tatiana Maslany, Scoot McNairy, Bradley Whitford, and Sebastian Stan, and follows an undercover LAPD officer who must take out members of a gang, years after her case was blown.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Destroyer
Well it's clear why this hasn't been part of awards season. Karyn Kusama hasn't a clue how to direct this film. She's yet another shit female director that most will be pressured into declaring a film-making genius. The story is pretty good with lots of potential, but in every scene that could've been great, it bails on itself. The interrupted bank heist is the perfect example. I thought that was going to be a riveting shootout, but even a few minutes in and the excitement has evaporated. The same goes for Toby Kebbell's villain. He is not built up in the slightest. He is supposed to be this murderous bastard, and she has spent 15 years thinking of nothing else. But he doesn't come across like the nemesis he should be because he's almost given no screen time. And the time he is given, his kills are off-camera! Then she kills him, and it all feels very shrug-worthy. The little twist reveal at the end showing you that the timeline is non-linear is neat, I guess. But unfortunately the rest of the film is a wasted opportunity. I started off thinking it was decent, but as it goes on it drastically loses any flame it had. From decent to so-so to pretty lame by the end credits.

I don't even think Kidman's performance is very good. The leather jacket, the immovable plastic hair, the low voice, the I-don't-care swagger, it all feels very much like she's impersonating every male alcoholic cop in films she's seen before, instead of creating her own alcoholic cop with mistakes that haunt her. I know that Debruge from Variety said that nothing Kidman has ever done before will prepare you for her performance in this, but I am not sure he meant it in a positive way. Nothing will prepare you for it because it's unlike anything she's done before, not necessarily because it's good. But they went with it, and now it's on every poster! Well, maybe the joke's on them. Such a shame. I really wanted to like this.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:49 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah this was a pretty boring flick. I was only interested in it because it starred Kidman and its a gritty crime drama, but man what a slog. It started out decently enough, but at 2 hours its way too long and not a whole lot actually happens. I have to agree with Algren that I think Karyn Kusama was definitely the wrong choice to direct something like this. Granted, I haven't seen many of her films, although I did love The Invitation. I never got invested in Kidman's character even though she does a fine job performance wise and I really didn't care for her relationship with her bratty, annoying daughter. It's cool seeing Sebastian Stan pop up in stuff outside of Marvel films because I like the guy and I actually think he's a pretty solid actor, but his scenes with Kidman which I know were supposed to be really emotional had no impact whatsoever IMO. I also agree that Toby Kebbell's character was poorly built up as well and considering he's the main villain he barely has any screen time and then he just gets killed off in the most unsatisfying way ever. The timeline twist was a nice little touch though, but it doesn't save the movie.

C-

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:52 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Nicole Kidman does well but I agree that its not a out-of-the-world performance. The story even though familiar has lots of potential but pretty much nothing is given enough room to breathe or make an impact. The whole premise of a suffering cop is not explored to root for Kidman's character. I did like a few scenes here and there and the search is pretty good but none of the scenes are executed well enough or invite you to truly immerse in this world.

B-

Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]