Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Oath 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Oath 
Keeping it Light

Post The Oath

Quote:
The Oath is a 2018 American dark comedy film written and directed by Ike Barinholtz, in his directorial debut. In addition to Barinholtz, the film stars Tiffany Haddish, John Cho, Carrie Brownstein, Billy Magnussen, Meredith Hagner, Jon Barinholtz, Nora Dunn and Chris Ellis, and follows a politically divided family at Thanksgiving after the U.S. government requires all citizens to sign a loyalty pledge.

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:17 am
Forum General

Post Re: The Oath
Crazy film, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't entertained throughout. It gets fucking ridiculous by the time it gets to the third act, but the interactions between this ensemble cast were a lot of fun and most of the jokes landed for me. My only real complaint is I didn't think the ending was as satisfying as it could have been, but it didn't ruin the film for me and this one of those rare cases where Tiffany Haddish didn't completely annoy the hell out of me in a movie, so that is definitely another positive.

B

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:51 pm
now we know

It escalates quickly from a black comedy to blacker potential crime comedy, but it is wholly enjoyable as a [way] less civil version of This Is Where I Leave You. Watching liberal Chris (Ike Barinholtz) bicker with his brother and his brother's obviously Republican girlfriend is satisfying. Despite not knowing why "The Oath" was even necessary, the politics in the film are so on-the-nose that it actually becomes transparent. So it ends up not being about that anymore, while the well-being of CPU officers takes centre stage.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:53 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I really loved the first half of the movie when it was focused on the banter between the family and "The Oath" it goes off rails once the CPU officers enters the picture. It goes to extremes and while its fun to see what this family will do with these officers it just completely forgets its initial premise. There is also the fact that most people are shouting throughout the film because the script demands it. It also wastes all this talented and funny cast to become a thriller rather than being comic. The first half had promise and a better blend with the first half and second would have made this a great movie.

C+

Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]