Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Overlord 

Rate this film:
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Overlord 
Keeping it Light

Post Overlord

Quote:
Overlord is a 2018 American war horror film directed by Julius Avery and written by Billy Ray and Mark L. Smith. The film stars Jovan Adepo, Wyatt Russell, Mathilde Ollivier, John Magaro, Gianny Taufer, Pilou Asbæk, and Bokeem Woodbine. The film was produced by J. J. Abrams, through his Bad Robot Productions banner, and Lindsey Weber. The plot follows several American soldiers who are dropped behind enemy lines the day before D-Day and discover secret Nazi experiments.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 pm
now we know

Post Re: Overlord
I loved this. Throws you right into the action from the word 'go', and then it's June 1944 for the entire film. I just love World War II films, and this one is very much in that Castle Wolfenstein-Iron Sky-First Avenger space, which mixes all the iconography and atmosphere of the second world war and Nazis versus Allies etc. with labs, tests, potions, and 'the mad scientist'. Plus, the violence is awesome (I saw the Cat III version). I thought the whole way through that it was an Eli Roth production, and by the violence you could be mistaken. Instead it's J.J. Abrams, which probably makes sense because Roth probably wouldn't be able to create a World War II film with such integrity, instead he would substitute plot for gore. There's a part of me that wishes the final incarnation of the tests produced more of a monster (maybe an animal/human hybrid final bad guy, just like in a Resident Evil game or something) but I was also glad they kept it on the level. Overlord reminds me of Dog Soldiers. Not only in the sense that there are soldiers going towards something they have no knowledge of, but also that I was pleasantly surprised by both films. A

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah I had an absolute blast with this movie. It takes a bit of time to get going, but once it does its fucking relentless and awesome. Very gory and unapologetically violent in the best possible ways I agree with Algren that it does sort of feel like the Resident Evil video games, especially in the third act, but that is far from a bad thing. I only wish those movies were as good as this, but who knows maybe they can get this director whenever they decide to reboot it. Anyways, I was also surprised by how much I liked so many of the characters. Loved the main guy who played Boyce and of course Wyatt Russel didn't disappoint. I know I have said it before, but I swear he is becoming more and more of a badass just like his father every time I see him.

A

Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:58 am
now we know

Shit. I didn't even realise who he is! Awesome that he's Kurt Russell's son. I like him even more now I know that. He's very good in this film, and I also remember him from Ingrid Goes West. I love the fact that I did not know who his father was. It tells me that he's trying to make it on his own instead of using his dad as a launchpad. And he's a good actor too.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Great to hear! Looking forward to this.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:24 am
Extraordinary

OVERLORD

I almost loved every bit of this fun entertaining flick. I liked the black and white Paramount logo from the start. The first few minutes with opening to the parachute drop was exciting. I enjoyed the music with the deep bass. There was a bit of a lull at parts where I wish it had kept up the action beats. The other part that was annoying was the kid running in the middle of a firefight. Like...come on. Other than those two qualms I liked the cast, the acting, the stunt work, the action, the visual gore and the connection with real events. I would really like to see a sequel to this and the squad going after Hitler and minions zombies and otherwise supernatural etc ala Wolfenstein. I should have watched this in Imax yesterday and will definitely buy this on blu.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]