Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Juliet, Naked 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Juliet, Naked 
Pure Phase

Post Juliet, Naked

Quote:
Juliet, Naked is a 2018 British-American comedy-drama film directed by Jesse Peretz.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:59 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Juliet, Naked
This is a hugely charming Nick Hornby adaptation; it has unabashed, Richard Curtis-style romanticism in its DNA, but also an edge and a bite, particularly in its lampooning of obsessive fandom. Ethan Hawke is perfectly cast as a musician who maintains an adoring cult audience despite decades of reclusive inactivity. As an actor near the heart of fashionable nineties culture (Reality Bites, Before Sunrise) who has aged well and maintained his credibility, the role fits him snugly. He infuses it with both unruly charisma and a poignant sense of regret, and he is convincing as a musician in the alternative mold of, among others, Ryan Adams and the late Elliott Smith.

Rose Byrne is superb, too, as a sympathetic and well-drawn heroine with an appealing arc of empowerment; excelling at both drama and comedy, Byrne always feels slightly undervalued in the industry. The film in general, chiefly set in a picturesque seaside town, has a certain escapist romantic-comedy whimsy to be sure, but it is also wisely grounded at key intervals (one subplot pointedly ends without any cathartic resolution, suggesting certain wounds must go unhealed).

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:00 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was sweet and enjoyable, and Rose Byrne in particular was terrific (when is she not - give this woman a comedy franchise Hollywood). I found it ever so slight though, it doesn't really do much to leave a lasting impression. Still though, definitely worth a watch and hugely charming in the moment.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:34 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Yeah I agree with the "hugely charming in the moment" comment. While watching it and when it ended I thought I would give it a B+ but after sitting with it it's a "B." Very cute movie though. Rose Byrne in particular is fantastic. She's so underrated.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:27 am
now we know

It sort of falls prey to a standard rom-com in the second half, but really this is a very pleasing and entertaining film, largely due to the idiosyncrasies of fan culture on display from Duncan (Chris O'Dowd) who is a huge fan of Tucker Crowe (Ethan Hawke), and the back-and-forth about it with his girlfriend (Rose Byrne).

One of my favourite lines is "art isn't for the artist". Bit vacant on its own but with the rest of the speech (by O'Down, who is great btw) in the film it's actually really good. Another line, which I was actually surprised made me laugh-out-loud because it was delivered by a woman, was: "I'm gonna put a bullet in my fucking mouth if I have to talk about Tucker Crowe anymore today". Great film.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]