Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Tulip Fever 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Tulip Fever 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Tulip Fever

Quote:
Tulip Fever is a 2017 historical drama film directed by Justin Chadwick and written by Tom Stoppard, adapted from a novel by Deborah Moggach. It stars Alicia Vikander, Dane DeHaan, Jack O'Connell, Zach Galifianakis, Judi Dench, Christoph Waltz, Holliday Grainger, Matthew Morrison and Cara Delevingne. The plot follows a 17th-century painter in Amsterdam who falls in love with a married woman whose portrait he has been hired to paint.

The film is set to be released in the United States on September 1, 2017, by The Weinstein Company.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:25 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Tulip Fever
If Tulip Fever had had one more thorough rewrite to tighten it all up, I think it could have been a great movie. The story is good, the setting is inspired, the actors are solid and well cast. Unfortunately, it just never really takes flight. *C-*

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:48 pm
Pure Phase

This is an attractively mounted, but oddly flat and uninteresting picture. It bears signs of its extended, reportedly tortured post-production. It feels overly finessed, as if a thousand and one people, from unacknowledged editors to concerned financiers, watched rough cuts, and their every note—"this part is too long; speed it up," "this scene needs explanatory voice-over"—was heeded, rendering the final product a lurching beast with no emotional center. There is an enormous amount of plot here, coincidences and confrontations and desires and twists of fate (imagine acts four and five of Romeo and Juliet on steroids), but it whips along without ever being particularly involving, let alone moving. The Attractive Young Wife of an Much Older Merchant and the Intense, Penniless Young Painter fall sordidly in love within the space of a few scenes because of course those characters fall in love in this type of period melodrama, not because the actors have chemistry or because the relationship is in any way well-developed. There a few points worthy of at least modest praise: the recreation of a thronged, unsanitary 17th-century Amsterdam is an impressive feat of art direction, for example, and I was pleased to see Christoph Waltz's character, a deceived husband, never become more than slightly boorish, allowing the actor to play notes other than dastardly. The use of "tulip mania," a historical example of a sensational-then-ruinous speculative bubble, as an overarching context is also novel, if a bit convoluted. Unfortunately, there also points worthy of special criticism: Zach Galifianakis' involvement will be writ large in the annals of egregious miscasting, his every buffoonish scene a pain to endure.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:27 am
Pure Phase

At times, I found myself imagining this played as a comedy. Though it is presented as a deadly serious romantic drama, there is a dose of A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy or Tom Jones (1963) in its DNA, with so many characters rolling around in the sheets and the whose-baby-is-it-anyway? subplot and Judi Dench as an abbess with sass.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:37 am
Cream of the Crop

David wrote:
I found myself imagining this played as a comedy. Though it is presented as a deadly serious romantic drama

There is already a thin streak of humor tinting Tulip, though I agree it could have borne more.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]