Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Birth of the Dragon 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Birth of the Dragon 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Birth of the Dragon

Quote:
Birth of the Dragon is a 2016 martial arts action film directed by George Nolfi and written by Christopher Wilkinson and Stephen J. Rivele. The film stars Philip Ng, Xia Yu, and Billy Magnussen. The true story revolves around the young martial artist Bruce Lee, who challenges kung fu master Wong Jack Man in 1965 in San Francisco. Principal photography began on November 17, 2015 in Vancouver. It was selected to be screened in the Special Presentations section at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival.[1] The film is scheduled to be released on August 25, 2017 by Blumhouse Tilt and WWE Studios.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:17 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Birth of the Dragon
This is a fun and interesting film. It deserves more positive reviews than it will inevitably receive. It utilizes Bruce Lee the way A Hard Day's Night and Help! utilized the Beatles; "Bruce Lee" is a character here in a martial-arts action film, not a definitive and reverent biopic. Set in San Francisco in the mid-1960s, it lifts elements from Lee's biography—his controversial teaching of kung fu to Caucasians, his mysterious and contested private fight with Shaolin master Wong Jack Man—but it also includes entirely fictional characters and passages, including a scene in which Lee and Wong elaborately fight their way through a Triad-owned restaurant. (The choreography here and elsewhere is excellent.) The end result, I believe, nicely plays as an extension of Lee's pop mystique and brand, and I half suspect the man himself, no stranger to self-mythologizing, would smile and nod in approval. He is played by a convincing Philip Ng, a Hong Kong-born actor who achieves an appropriate combination of arrogance and charisma. Even better is Xia Yu as Wong; his is an absolutely magnetic variation on the he-doesn't-want-any-trouble warrior-pacifist archetype, and it is a pleasure to lean into his every delectably inscrutable line of kung-fu philosophizing.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:07 am
Cream of the Crop

Birth of the Dragon is The Bruce Lee Story: Gwailo Edition. Through the eyes of Billy Magnussen as "Steve", any backcountry yokel can grasp this simplified telling of Bruce Lee's early career. It's told with such cheesy earnest that I can't hate on it - it's kind of adorable. But it ain't no masterpiece either, though the fight scenes are rather stylishly shot. Just a bit of flaky fun. *C*

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:25 pm
Extraordinary

strange film. I was pretty tired when I saw this so I was constantly on the verge of sleeping but it felt very much like a direct to TV film.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]