Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Superman III 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Superman III 
College Boy Z

Post Superman III
Superman III

Quote:
Superman III is a 1983 superhero film and the third film in the Superman film series based upon the long-running DC Comics superhero. Christopher Reeve, Jackie Cooper, Marc McClure and Margot Kidder are joined by new cast members Annette O'Toole, Annie Ross, Pamela Stephenson, Robert Vaughn and Richard Pryor. The film was the last Reeve/Superman film produced by Alexander Salkind and Ilya Salkind. It was followed by Supergirl (produced by the Salkinds) in 1984 and the non-Salkind produced sequel Superman IV: The Quest for Peace in 1987.

The film was less successful than the first two Superman movies, both financially and critically. While harsh criticism focused on the film's comedic and campy tone, Reeve was praised for his much darker performance as the corrupted Superman. Following the release of this movie, Pryor signed a five-year contract with Columbia Pictures worth $40 million.

Series producer Ilya Salkind originally wrote a treatment for this film that included Brainiac, Mister Mxyzptlk and Supergirl, but Warner Bros. did not like it. The treatment was released online in 2007.

Sat May 21, 2005 9:28 pm
All Star Poster

Bleh, this film should have never been made, its really boring and an unnecessary sequel IMO.

D

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:16 am
On autopilot for the summer

Hmm, god the Superman Franchise was really dumped on after anything involved with Donner was gone. Its a comedy with Superman in it.

However, This might be Reeves best performance as Superman, he's very strong in playing a triple role of Superman, Bad Superman, and Clark Kent. Its not throwaway, when its Serious, its actually pretty good. With the first three I think I enjoy this more than the first three Batmans.

Good moments-
Clark vs. Superman- Best fight in a Superhero movie ever, its just so simple.
Lana and Clark
Superman, and the evil Superman

Like said though, there is way too much comedy, some of it works, though a lot, including Richard Pryor, does not.

It could have been so much better

A Dark Superman that ultimately kills someone, instead of flicking peanuts and straightening he Leaning Tower of Piza, has a truly epic battle as he goes insane, then has to prove himself to the world again that loathes him, and battles Brainiac in the end. There was a lot of good material that was never really explored.

B

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:57 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I found this quite enjoyable. Its very cheesy in parts but then Superman is cheesy in a way.

B

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:00 pm
Superman: The Movie

Its very cheesy in parts but then Superman is cheesy in a way.

Like all other superheroes.

Superman III is a drastic step down in the series after the first two, but it's nowhere near as bad as the fourth film. If you watch this film, and then rewatch the second film, you can tell very easily what was shot by Lester and what was shot by Donner. The proof is in the the pudding so to speak with the opening sequence. Instead of getting the classic intro (Think Star Wars minus the scroll) we get an all too long comedic sequence. Superman isn't Superman, he's a caricature of himself and that's pathetic. That saying the film somewhat recovers when Clark visits Smallville and catches up with Lana Lang. I also enjoyed his dark side and his good side fighting one another. It's somewhat cheesy, but it works.

Then there is Richard Pryor. I like him in the movie, but there is just way too much of him. It's pretty much his movie with Superman in the background.

Then how about Robert Wagner as the bad guy? He's pretty much one of the most forgettable villans in superhero history. He's just a boring character. I give credit for the screenwriters trying to diverge away from Lex Luthor (After Hackman disowned the second one) but it's a very boring bad guy.

I like the film, but it has it's faults.

B-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

This one was always on TV when I was young, so I fondly remember it more than the first two. They were also on, but were a lot more boring and so I only remember the action-y parts. Superman III is silly and goofy but still more enjoyable than what had come before (and let's face it, a man wearing red pants on the outside IS silly). Richard Pryor alone makes the film better. Robert Vaughn is basically Lex Luthor and does a better job of it than Gene Hackman. The third Superman film is just way more imaginative and entertaining to children than the first two bore-fests, and let's face it, that's who these films are made for. The frozen sheet lake, the speeding bowling ball, correcting Pisa's lean, the combine harvester scene, the traffic light men fighting, and dueling Supermans! All great stuff. It's also crazy. That computer lady thing at the end and the entire opening title sequence are ludicrous. But Superman III is original, too! Not copying the same reversing Earth crap from the first two films. Instead using a satellite system to control the weather (later copied in Geostorm) and collecting the fractions rounded off in a payroll system (later copied [and referenced] in Office Space). It's a fun, fun film.

Christopher Reeve is such a bad actor. He should have buffed himself up in the 3-6 years since the first two. He looks pathetic, really. But he finally gets his top billing. It wasn't easy. He had serious competition from Pryor, but third time lucky he got it! lol. I loved that Kidder was hardly in it. Great decision as she was a weakest link in the first two. Ah, so much to talk about. It's pretty hilariously bad in that the answer to everything is "COMPUTERS!". And on that note, an apt grade: C++

Cannot wait to rewatch Superman IV: The Quest for Peace next. I remember small parts. Don't think it was shown too often on TV when I was younger. Much less than the previous three anyway.

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:22 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Superman III
Well the reversing the end thing is only in the Donner cut. It was never intended for the first film, so they put it back in to get rid of the even more stupid "Amnesia Kiss scene"

There are seriously great moments in here. And when the chick turns into a robot scared the shit of me as kid.

I still think Pryor is easily the weakest element. And Pamela Stevenson, what a smoke show.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]