Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Everyone Says I Love You 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Everyone Says I Love You 
Sbil

Post Everyone Says I Love You
Everyone Says I Love You

Quote:
Everyone Says I Love You is a 1996 musical film written and directed by Woody Allen. The film features many stars, including Julia Roberts, Alan Alda, Edward Norton, Drew Barrymore, Gaby Hoffmann, Tim Roth, Goldie Hawn, and Natalie Portman.

Set in New York, Venice, and Paris, the film features a rarely used device of having songs sung by ordinary actors not known for their singing. It is among the more critically successful of Allen's later film, although it did not do well commercially. Chicago Sun-Times critic Roger Ebert ranked it as one of Allen's best.

Sat May 21, 2005 12:50 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I'm watching this tonight. Any thoughts on it's quality so I know what to expect a little bit?

Sat May 21, 2005 9:49 pm
Sbil

I'm watching this tonight. Any thoughts on it's quality so I know what to expect a little bit?

Well, I gave it an A. I just did my Best of 1996 list a week or two ago, and I remember putting this as #5 for that year (with another movie I recommended to you, Courage Under Fire, being #4).

It's just great. What's so awesome about the movie is how the fact that many of the huge cast can't sing worth a nickel but they do anyway, which just makes it all seem so much more whimsical and delightful.

Sat May 21, 2005 10:23 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Well, I gave it an A. I just did my Best of 1996 list a week or two ago, and I remember putting this as #5 for that year (with another movie I recommended to you, Courage Under Fire, being #4).

It's just great. What's so awesome about the movie is how the fact that many of the huge cast can't sing worth a nickel but they do anyway, which just makes it all seem so much more whimsical and delightful.

haha...I get to hear Julia singing offkey? =D> :razz: I kinda like the quirkiness of Woody Allen (although Annie Hall in no way deserved Best Picture :mad: over Star Wars)

Libs, you seem to have singing knowledge to me, just going by different comments that you've made at the forums. Can you sing, or are you just a good listener?

Sat May 21, 2005 10:35 pm
Sbil

Libs wrote:

haha...I get to hear Julia singing offkey? =D> :razz: I kinda like the quirkiness of Woody Allen (although Annie Hall in no way deserved Best Picture :mad: over Star Wars)

Libs, you seem to have singing knowledge to me, just going by different comments that you've made at the forums. Can you sing, or are you just a good listener?

I'm a terrible singer.

Yes, from what I remember, Julia Roberts has one painfully off-key solo, but the fact she sings to begin with makes it so that you're impressed with her.

In fact, out of the entire cast, I think the only one who never sings at all is Drew Barrymore.

Sat May 21, 2005 10:37 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I'm a terrible singer.

Yes, from what I remember, Julia Roberts has one painfully off-key solo, but the fact she sings to begin with makes it so that you're impressed with her.

In fact, out of the entire cast, I think the only one who never sings at all is Drew Barrymore.

I'll have a review up for you by morning, and I can't wait to see it.

I can't imagine you being terrible at anything, but I'll take you word for it that it sounds like somebody's strangling a cat. :-# :wink:

Sat May 21, 2005 10:44 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Once again, I'm just impressed with your taste, Libs. I'm really tired, but I promised a review, so here it is. This was the best Woody Allen movie that I've seen, and as I said above, I actually kinda like his movies, and he cracks me up himself. Such a goofy little man. Everyone Say I Love You was probably the best cast I can remember him assembling. You had two M*A*S*H* alumi, in Alan Alda and David Ogden Stiers, there was Goldie Hawn, Julia Roberts, Drew Barrymore, Tim Roth, Edwin Norton, and a young Natalie Portman. The musical portion of it was interesting, because, as stated above, none of the actors were very good. They didn't suck or anything, but they definitely weren't pros. It didn't matter, because it added to the charm. I laughed so hard at one comedy bit that I actually had to stop the movie to collect myself, and then go back a little bit an rewatch what my laughing caused me to miss. It was when Alan Alda started breaking out into song, and after a few lines, Goldie Hawn kinda breaks the 4th wall, and asks him "What are you singing for, you're not in love with Holden." =D> :lol: I'm still laughing about it.

As with a lot of Allen's movies, there's not so much of a plot as it is just about characters. These characters are comical, but very real. Woody and Goldie were once married, she's now married to Alan Alda, plenty of step children and half siblings to go around, and the typical Woody Allen mayhem. There is a chaotic rhythm to the speech patterns of Allen's characters, and the cast in this all gave the script plenty of energy. I want to watch it again right now! Julia Roberts plays a New York woman living in Paris, whom Woody Allen woos. His methods of wooing a girl are quite funny, but hey, it worked, at least for awhile. Tim Roth might have been my favorite character. He plays a recently paroled convict that hasn't seen a woman for a long time, and it's all he can do to keep his eyes and hands off Goldie Hawn and Drew Barrymore...lol He certainly didn't waste any time moving in on Barrymore when he got her alone. BTW...She does sing, too.

The dance scene with Goldie and Woody was also comical, as she floated along in the air so convincingly, that you would think that it was natural movement, and not wirework. Thank you for this one, Libs, I really enjoyed this a lot. Most Woody Allen films are in the B range for me, but this was a little higher for me, and I'm sure the bigger cast helped out there.

A-

Sun May 22, 2005 5:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]