Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Monster Trucks 

Rate This Film
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Monster Trucks 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Monster Trucks

Quote:
Monster Trucks is a 2016 American 3D live-action/computer-animated action comedy film produced by Paramount Animation, Disruption Entertainment and Nickelodeon Movies. It is directed by Chris Wedge and written by Jonathan Aibel, Glenn Berger, Derek Connolly and Matthew Robinson.[6] The film stars Lucas Till, Jane Levy, Amy Ryan, Rob Lowe, Danny Glover, Barry Pepper and Holt McCallany, and was the final film of Jon Polito before his death in September 2016.

Principal photography of the film began on April 4, 2014, in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. The film was released in the United Kingdom and France in December 2016 [7] and is set to be released in the United States on January 13, 2017, by Paramount Pictures. It received negative reviews and has grossed $9 million.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:25 pm
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Monster Trucks
Yes, I understand that a lot of people won't be able to view Monster Trucks from within the context of its kids adventure b-movie heritage. However, those schooled in the Disney live action movies of the 70's / 80's and the Spielberg produced kids films of the 80's / 90's will find this an homage true in spirit. And that doesn't even include the best part: Monster Trucks is an honest to goodness sci-fi movie(!), featuring a logically consistent story on the origin and biology of the monsters. The government baddies vs the kids is the de rigeur plotline in this sub-genre. The two leads (Lucas Till and Jane Levy) are perfect for their roles - I like to think of them as Hunky & Spunky. The CGI monsters are both original and lovable. This is the type of kids classic that will only get better with repeated viewings - I can't wait! *A*

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Edit: I see the NYT is one of the few reviewers to see Monster Trucks for what it is.

Last edited by tree and a half on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:51 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I am shocked. Really. 100%.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:00 pm
Cream of the Crop

Chippy wrote:
I am shocked. Really. 100%.

^ Chippy is portraying the role of "the Internet" from the following review excerpt:

Quote:
When Paramount unveiled the first trailer for “Monster Trucks”–a movie that is literally about monsters inside oversized trucks–the Internet rejoiced with teeth bared. Mockery and jeering were unleashed so vicious and vociferous that months ahead of its release, the studio braced for the family-friendly adventure to bomb spectacularly. But the Internet was wrong. It was smug and quick to judge, deriding the film — admittedly one with a ridiculous premise actually dreamed up by a four-year-old — for daring to be different.

Yet, “Monster Trucks” is a movie the Internet should love. Imaginative and wonderful, it pays unexpected homage to the gloriously odd kids’ movies of the 1990s. Think about the films children grew up loving in that era. Their premises were gleefully stupid. “Encino Man” was about a caveman attending a California high school. “Free Willy” followed a lonely boy as he befriends then frees a killer whale. And “Surf Ninjas” — well, you get the picture. These movies were not made to impress critics, but to kick the imaginations of children into giddy overdrive. And we ate them up for all their strangeness and zeal. “Monster Trucks” doesn’t traffic in the overt nostalgia of allusion shots, dialogue parodies, or Easter Egg-laced set design. Instead, it brilliantly resurrects the sincerity and joy of those movies, never apologizing for its ludicrous premise. (continued)

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:08 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I'm not attacking it. I think it looks decent.

But it's getting ripped to shreds, so of COURSE you loved it. That's your brand, bradley.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:18 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

The first half in the movie has showcases of brilliance its the rescue and chase or simply put the thrill part that falls apart. I was invested in characters thanks to the first half and it has a good overall thought of "monsters" origins with a decent story that is indeed homage to the 80s'/90's Spielberg movies but it fails to bring in a spectacle, build the stakes or even produce something eye-popping out of the journey. The lead pair of Levy and Till are great here but rest of the cast is just wasted here.

5/10

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]