Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Morgan 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Morgan 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Morgan

Quote:
Morgan is an upcoming 2016 American science fiction thriller film directed by Luke Scott and written by Seth Owen.[2] The film features a large ensemble cast, consisting of Kate Mara, Anya Taylor-Joy, Toby Jones, Rose Leslie, Boyd Holbrook, Michelle Yeoh, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Paul Giamatti. Filming began on May 26, 2015 in Northern Ireland. The film is scheduled to be released on September 2, 2016 by 20th Century Fox.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:24 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Morgan
This was lame. It feels like a vastly inferior version of Ex Machina mixed with some bad sci-fi horror movie. The cast is outstanding but the movie mostly wastes them - particularly Jennifer Jason Leigh and Paul Giamatti (who admittedly has the movie's best scene but isn't developed enough to make an impression). Kate Mara's icy lead performance makes sense for the character, but it's hard to sympathize with her in any way. Faring better are Anya Taylor Joy, who is the main bright spot here and delivers another outstanding genre turn, and Rose Leslie, who makes the most of her underwritten 'sympathetic scientist' role. The characters are all stupid and make dumb decisions throughout, and the twist at the end is ridiculous and obvious. The movie's biggest crime is that it is boring. It has some gorgeous visuals, but the story moves at such a slow pace that its relatively short running time feels three times as long. C-

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:33 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

In Morgan, a hypnotic visual style and an enviable ensemble of character actors compensate for fairly predictable—though still engaging—storytelling. The plot turns on an icy corporate analyst (Kate Mara) who travels to a remote compound to assess the viability of an artificial-intelligence research project. Her visit is precipitated by a violent incident involving Morgan (Anya Taylor-Joy), the team's five-year-old laboratory miracle. Morgan's caregivers-cum-captors are played by, among others, Toby Jones, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Game of Thrones' Rose Leslie. Nothing is particularly novel here—the peril of self-preservation among A.I., an ethical suspicion of biotechnology, a third-act emphasis on chasing and bloodshed after a setup in the vein of Agatha Christie or Clue—but first-time feature director Luke Scott (son of Ridley and a member of the second unit on his father's Exodus: Gods and Kings) commands attention with a steadily mounting sense of dread and sumptuous use of misty, verdant forest locations in Northern Ireland. He at least copies and lifts from the best, including Ex Machina and dad's Alien, to create his late-summer genre diversion. And Taylor-Joy, so transfixing in The Witch earlier this year, delivers another enigmatic performance as the title figure; she is at once naïvely disarming and eerily otherworldly in conveying the character's just-shy-of-human nature. The way Morgan is at once protagonist and antagonist, both brutal and sympathetic, is one of the film's chief pleasures.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:34 am
Wallflower

The first half of this was so slow and dull. Very routine. The second half was more entertaining and I liked the end. It almost made me wish it had performed better so we could get a hopefully superior sequel. Only almost though. I don't feel we're missing out on much. They honestly should have just went the limited release/video-on-demand route. Clearly they didn't know it would flop but it did feel like something that would be released on-demand rather than given a wide theatrical release.

Not really worth the trip to the theater.

6/10 (C+)

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:24 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I guarantee this only got a wide theatrical release because of the Ridley Scott component.

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:02 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

I thought it was severely underrated and a very solid B movie.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

It's a timewaster at best. I was liking it more before all the ridiculousness of the third act, especially the hand to hand combat which seemed so out place. The twist was pretty stupid too, but atleast I wasn't bored with it.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:48 pm
The Wall

*1/2 / ***** (D-)

Beside the obvious twist the movie doesn't have much going for itself. It reminds too much of Ex-Machina for the most part which doesn't help as that movie was done way better. The cell attacks also brought Hanna to memory. That one was also a better movie. Taylor-Joy did good as Morgan, but she wasn't given much to work with. But after The VVitch she's definitely someone I look forward to seeing in future movies.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Holy fuck what a stupid movie. Corporate was smart enough to attach a cook to a team of scientists, but not a psychologist? They couldn't have predicted Morgan might get angry? She's a child and its peak excitement is going to the woods. But no, when she finally does something wrong (what the fuck is Jennifer Jason Leigh doing in this?), corporate finally wakes up and sends one and an L-4 (fuck you movie) only for him (what the fuck is Paul Giamatti doing in this movie?) to antagonize it and do so to the point where it's clear she was going to kill him. Why was he so insistent on sitting on the other side of the glass with her if he was going to do that? He knows she just stabbed JJL's eye (out?). Hubris? Is this movie mad at psychologists?

It's at this point where everyone turns stupid. Ridley Scott has a weird thing for stupid scientists (I know he only produced it). And, I don't know...I know they've been with Morgan for five years, but seeing as she just killed two people, why would you try to help her escape? It's clear she's angry. She's going to kill you too. What was their plan? Hide and keep her locked up? I'm sure she'd love that.

And then the twist. A twist only works if you don't see it coming. Maybe don't have two fight scenes where Kate Mara can somehow go head-to-head with a genetically modified creature and pretty much hold her own? Just a thought.

This would be all easy to ignore if it were fun. It isn't. You know how there's a random shower fucking scene in Alien: Covenant that shouldn't be there? That should be in this movie. When Giamatti gets his jugular ripped out? Blood should've been spurting everywhere. It's a B-movie that has its head up its ass and takes itself way too seriously.

D

Anna Taylor Joy is the movie's only saving grace.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]