Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Kubo and the Two Strings 

Rate this film:
A 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Kubo and the Two Strings 
Pure Phase

Post Kubo and the Two Strings

Quote:
Kubo and the Two Strings (or just Kubo for short) is an American 3D stop-motion fantasy action adventure film produced by Laika for Focus Features. It is being directed by Travis Knight and written by Marc Haimes and Chris Butler. The film stars the voices of Charlize Theron, Art Parkinson, Ralph Fiennes, Rooney Mara, George Takei, and Matthew McConaughey. The film is scheduled to be released on August 19, 2016.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:10 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Kubo and the Two Strings
This is the best animated movie of the year so far. It's easily one of the most gorgeous animated films I've ever seen, with some truly unforgettable imagery and stunning character work. Every shot is a piece of art. It's also incredibly imaginative and original - all of the major setpieces were as exciting as anything in a summer blockbuster. It also tackles some very heavy and mature themes about death and honoring the generations that came before us - it ends on a brave and incredibly ambiguous note too that I found beautiful. The vocal work is top-notch across the board with the A-list ensemble perfectly embodying their characters and their celebrity never distracting from it. I think all ages will get something out of this movie. It's truly a treat. A

Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:10 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

You may have convinced me to see this. I really didn't have much interest. The trailers did nothing for me. But I might give it a chance after all.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:00 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's maybe the most original film of the summer. I LOVED the whole sequence on the water with the eyes.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:57 am
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

thompsoncory wrote:
It's maybe the most original film of the summer.

That wouldn't be hard, lol.

I loved Coraline, but Paranorman and the Boxtrolls were boring. If this is that good, it's a pleasant surprise for me.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:32 am
Wallflower

I loved ParaNorman, liked Coraline, and disliked Boxtrolls. ParaNorman is really fun if you're a horror fan.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:39 pm
You must have big rats

Laika can do no wrong, in my eyes.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I plan for this to be the first Laika film I'll see.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:27 pm
Pure Phase

Kubo and the Two Strings is another wondrous stop-motion fantasy by the creative geniuses behind Coraline and ParaNorman. With due respect to Pixar, Studio Ghibli, etc., the Portland, Oregon-based LAIKA is my favorite animation studio active today. Set in a psychedelic vision of ancient Japan, their new picture turns on a one-eyed child, voiced by 14-year-old Art Parkinson, with a tragic history—he is the son of a dead samurai—and his epic quest to defeat his malevolent grandfather, a supernatural entity known as the Moon King (Ralph Fiennes) who hopes to claim the other eye. Parts of this film, the directorial debut of Travis Knight (the company's president and CEO), may sound rote on paper—a quest to retrieve magical objects before facing a major antagonist, scene-stealing animal sidekicks—but the viewing experience is anything but, full as it is of sweeping, handcrafted, fantastic imagery (a ship made of autumn leaves, an underwater chasm populated by monstrous floating eyeballs) and truly touching moments exploring death and memory with a rare ambiguity and gravitas. Charlize Theron and Matthew McConaughey deliver tremendous vocal performances as, respectively, an anthropomorphized macaque and stag beetle who join the protagonist on his journey. The former exudes the same type of maternal intensity she brought to her instantly iconic role in Mad Max: Fury Road while the latter is given (and savors) the funniest lines.

A-

Oh, and I love the end-credits cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by Regina Spektor. So atmospheric and full of feeling. Instantly one of my favorite Beatles covers of all-time.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:52 pm
Pure Phase

My only semi-substantial beef: the Fiennes character is a bit underwhelming after such a surplus of excitement and imagination. His witch daughters are way more intimidating and hypnotic.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:14 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I loved Rooney Mara's vocal work.

The ending of this movie is so heartbreaking and beautiful. Can't stop thinking about it.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:20 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

David wrote:
My only semi-substantial beef: the Fiennes character is a bit underwhelming after such a surplus of excitement and imagination. His witch daughters are way more intimidating and hypnotic.

I know what you mean, but it didn't really impact how much I loved the movie.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:50 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

A beautiful film; undeniably. A-. I'd say it's my favorite film of the year so far.

The animation is wonderful; the best that's come out of Laika to date, in my opinion. The story is well-told and flows seamlessly, helped with the support of an excellent vocal cast across the board and an appropriate atmospheric score by Dario Marianelli. Western audiences are incredibly lucky that a studio as talented as Laika is producing animated films with such imagery, and well-crafted storytelling for them to not simply "enjoy", or "watch", or have "fun" seeing, but to experience and appreciate.

My only complaint with Kubo is that, at times, some of the humor elements fall flat and were nonessential. I understand that the film had to have some "fun, humorous" moments for marketing/financial purposes, and Laika kept them in check, but these scenes also restrain the film just enough from achieving true excellence.

And while not a criticism, Laika can't take credit for the story being original (and I doubt they are). It's clear they were inspired, quite heavily, by the Japanese folktale 'The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter'. Kubo borrows many elements from the classic tale, and basically follows along the same narrative with a different focal protagonist and some action flair throughout.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I can absolutely understand where the love for this film is coming from and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I didn't really feel an emotional connection to it like others seem to have so it didn't fully grab me. The animation is so breathtaking though and that alone makes me glad I saw it on the big screen. Very good film.

8/10 (B+)

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:16 am
Extraordinary

huh. I found this underwhelming tbh. Animation is gorgeous but the story or characters didn't grab me at all.

Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:47 am
Cream of the Crop

Kubo and the Two Strings is beautiful... and boring. All that effort and craftsmanship to construct a spellbinding physical stop motion puppet world and they just go and throw on the typical three item quest storyline. The juvenile humor added in a foolhardy attempt to engage disintered kids brought the whole thing down another notch. If this had been tightened up by about twenty minute and told as a straight dramatic myth, it might have had a chance. *C+*

(Interesting that the whole simpleminded 'whitewashing' outrage didn't gain much traction with Kubo, despite starring Charlize Theron and Matthew McConaughey as Japanese characters, and being written by Marc Haimes and Chris Butler.)

Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:11 am
The Wall

***1/2 / ***** (B-)

Visually stunning, unfortunately severely underdeveloped story wise. It's being torn between some very grown up themes and too childish ones (I assume that was added to make movie more marketable and relatable to kids, yet I think it was a mistake).

My main problem is the fact that the story gets kicked by one of the most irritating cliches in kids' movies/stories - if you don't do exactly what your parent tells you, shit will get real. I do get what they possibly tried to do - Kubo likes to hear tales as much as he likes telling them and when he heard that he could speak to his father he got desperate and "forgot" he was supposed to come home before dark, but the execution is too simple and naive for it to work.

Also was it really necessary for his mother to turn into the monkey charm? It was really a weird plot to take - kill her, bring her back just to kill her again. The same goes for his father/the bug man. Was there any real need for the bug man to be his father?

This could've been a great movie if they had more balls to make it more grown up. As is, it's a good movie, but it feels like they compromised to make it a bit more "happier" which is unfortunate.

Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Gorgeous animation. Decent characters and voice work. Good emotion. Amazing action. The story is quite slow in the middle unfortunately.
Overall, besides Coraline, I've had a hard time getting too invested in the characters of Laika. Maybe this is due to the animation style, I don't know. Everything is there on paper, but it didn't quite connect with me in the way Zootopia, Moana and Dory did.

Still an excellent film and very much worth seeing.

B+

Ranking
1. Coraline- A
2. Kubo- B+
3. Paranorman- C+
4. The Boxtrolls- D

Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:26 am
now we know

Sublime animation to the extent where it is almost too perfect. I sat back in awe and appreciation of the rich cinematography in each frame, visually depicting a westernized interpretation of fantastical Japan. The story is straightforward, tight, and fascinatingly mystical. The score is heavy and cinematic, with Spektor's lovely "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" closing out the film. The voice performances are charming; Charlize Theron disguised, McConaughey comical, and Art Parkinson energetic. Visually, the introduction of "the sisters" is awesome and scary. There were a few things I did not like/understand, which just stopped me from warming to the film a little, such as why Kubo's grandfather, the Moon King, even needs or wants his eye balls - it's strange and makes no sense; why Kubo's mother is statuelike and unable/willing to feed herself one minute then animated and telling stories the next; and why is it called Kubo and the Two Strings (I guess that's to symbolise family and memories in the form of his mother's hair and his father's bowstring - but there's just no mention of "two strings" in the film at all). I can obviously put conclusions to all of these niggling queries. I just wish the film did a better job of introducing these aspects.

Anyway, this is the first Laika film I've seen, and I'm impressed - it's a nice little film, the sort of film that I hope my son loves. I'll probably check out ParaNorman if I get the chance.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:37 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Quite possible the most most visually beautiful animated film outside of Studio Ghibli that I have ever seen.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Well this was terrific.

A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:08 pm
Angels & Demons

B-DAY.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:51 am
Keeping it Light

I liked Kubo, but there was also nothing more to it for me. It's all well made forming a good end product, but I felt no connection to the character and it was a bit of struggle for me to stay interested too. The animation looks quite gorgeous but it doesn't do much for me. Theron and Matthew do a fine job voice casting but not outstanding either. It goes well in the barrel with most of the other animated films I saw in 2016. It has some good and catching moments, but I found it dragging too.

B-

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Best American animated movie of that year.

9/10

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]