Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Quote:
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (stylized as Pride + Prejudice + Zombies) is an upcoming American comedy horror film based on the 2009 novel of the same name by Seth Grahame-Smith that parodies the 1813 British novel Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. The film is directed by Burr Steers, who wrote the adapted screenplay. It stars Lily James, Sam Riley, Jack Huston, Bella Heathcote, Douglas Booth, Matt Smith, Charles Dance and Lena Headey. It is scheduled to be released on February 5, 2016 in the United States.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
It's enjoyable for the most part but it feels pretty pedestrian unfortunately even though they have a pretty decent cast. Lily James is appealing, as is Sam Riley despite sounding like he had a severe cold the whole movie (bizarre) but the whole zombies aspect isn't utilized in a effective way, maybe due to a PG-13 rating. The whole middle section felt like a straight up remake with a few differences. I think the film version could've taken more liberties with the story.

Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:35 am
You must have big rats

It will be PG-13???

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:49 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

You'd also bang Bella Heathcote, Lena Headey and Matt Smith.

Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yeah, it's PG-13. The zombie kills and what not are pretty lame as there really isn't any huge amounts of gore or blood. I don't know how the book is but the zombies really don't do much to the story. They try and make the Bennett sisters seem like warriors but not enough is done with that.

Everyone I saw it with really liked it though, as did the audience I saw it with so idk.

Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:34 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This has been in development for so long that I'm shocked it actually got made, let alone is being released. I remember it being announced in like 2009.

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:18 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

My theater has a free screening on February 1st. I'm totally going.

Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:03 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was a total blast! So funny and entertaining - I loved it. Lily James was great and the entire thing was surprisingly faithful to the original story as well. Really surprised by how good this was. A-

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:35 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I thought this was very enjoyable. Surprisingly so. Certainly better than Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Really liked Lily James and Bella Heathcote. I went into this thinking it was PG-13 (and it is) but kept second guessing the rating while watching it because I thought some of the kills were fairly violent for PG-13.

Anyway, a fun and funny flick. I wish this would make enough for a sequel.

8/10 (B+)

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:32 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Ridiculous amounts of fun with endless supply of smokeshow.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Bella Heathcote is gorgeous.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:25 am
Pure Phase

Coming around four or five years too late to truly capitalize on the parody novel's wait-come-again? popularity, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is an imperfect, but amusing and engaging medley of Jane Austen and George A. Romero. For around an hour, it provides a very healthy level of entertainment on both fronts. As a not-entirely-unfaithful adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, it is well-cast—Lily James is enchanting and sharp-tongued as Elizabeth Bennet, and Sam Riley (whom I have championed since his incredible performance as Joy Division singer Ian Curtis in Control) exudes convincing emotional constipation as Mr. Darcy—and the requisite bedlam of balls and courtships is dramatized earnestly enough to sate Austen's vast readership. The film exhibits no disdain for the pleasures and tropes of the costume drama. And as a zombie movie, the PG-13 rating is not as deflating as feared as several well-staged sequences of preying and slaying unfold. The fusion results in truly indelible moments in the first and second acts: consider the Bennet sisters starting their day by cleaning their weapons in a sunlit drawing room, laughing and gossiping as they go, or a creepy encounter between elder sister Jane Bennet and a zombie mother and infant. Former Doctor Who Matt Smith is a delirious and hilariously peculiar presence as clergyman Mr. Collins, the peripheral character's imbecilic pomposity dialed to eleven.

Unfortunately, the film then loses its verve to a degree; the charming novelty of Austen-plus-the-living-dead is overpowered by action-movie theatrics (outrun the explosion!) and an expository overload as the conclusion nears. It is almost a paradox: the film is least exciting when it tries hardest to appease a presumptive audience of hyperactive teenagers. Still, though, everyone involved can breathe a sigh of relief: from this day forward, they can say, "It is a truth perhaps not quite universally acknowledged, but still: we made a decent version of Pride and Prejudice...with zombies!"

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:35 am
Cream of the Crop

Better than I had hoped for and about as good as this type of hybrid could ever be expected to be. The actress playing Elizabeth Bennet was the highlight, she carried the whole picture on her capable shoulders. The story really is quite an inspired mashup that allows the audience to fill in the gaps with their existing knowledge of the novel and the zombie genre creating an inordinately fulfilling bastard of a movie. *B+*

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:17 am
Hold the door!

Pride and Prejudice is better without Zombies. While I've never seen the classic miniseries or the less classic film with Keira Knightley, I have seen a very good theatrical production. The parts of the story that involve zombies make no sense and are completely illogical. Entertaining for sure though. And Lily James looks much better brunette than blond.

C+

Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]