Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Night Before (2015) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Night Before (2015) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Night Before (2015)
The Night Before (2015)

Quote:
The Night Before (initially in production as X-Mas) is a 2015 American Christmas comedy film directed by Jonathan Levine and written by Levine, Evan Goldberg, Kyle Hunter, and Ariel Shaffir and produced by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. The film stars Rogen, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Anthony Mackie, and is about an annual reunion of three childhood friends on Christmas Eve.

Principal photography began on August 11, 2014, in New York City. Good Universe and Point Grey Pictures are producing the film which Columbia Pictures will release on November 20, 2015.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Night Before (2015)
For over a decade, a trio of friends (Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Seth Rogen, and Anthony Mackie) have engaged in yuletide bacchanalia on the night before Christmas, but the tradition is coming to an end as belated maturity sets in, with one achieving fame as an athlete and another expecting a child, but one more wild December 24th awaits Chris, Ethan, and Isaac before they move on. The Night Before is a madcap and self-referential stoner variation on the holiday comedy. It is overcrowded, highly festive, and largely delightful as it charts a standard Apatow-era course—arrested development gives way to adulthood as the crude and the rude give way to third-act sentimentality—with hard-to-resist enthusiasm and welcome flashes of absurdity. A major highlight is a scene-stealing and entirely unexpected performance by flinty, ferocious character actor Michael Shannon as the Ghosts of Christmases Past, Present, and Yet to Come rolled into a single enigmatic drug dealer. One notable flaw: rare is a film in which the ostensible protagonist (played by a charismatic, but relatively muted Gordon-Levitt) is so overshadowed by everyone and everything else. The film triumphs in spite of his particular journey never becoming notably involving.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:43 am
Sbil

Raucous and surprisingly sweet, The Night Before employs the solid chemistry between its three leads to good comedic effect. B

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:54 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought it was absolutely hilarious and sweet. Seth Rogen delivers what may be his funniest performance to date - his rant in the bathroom during his drug trip almost had me in tears laughing. I also loved the supporting turns from Ilana Glazer, Jillian Bell, Mindy Kaling and especially Michael Shannon in what may be one of the most random roles ever. The big setpieces all succeed in making you laugh and the movie itself has a really big heart. The ending is very touching and the three main characters make the friendship that is the centerpiece feel grounded and realistic. Definitely a good choice for the "warm-fuzzies" this holiday season. A-

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:04 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

The comedy writing is good not great, it heavily relies on the easy set up of Seth Rogan on drugs for laughs and the talent of Michael Shannon, Ilana Glazer and Jillian Bell to outshine their material, with Shannon as the biggest highlight. But I bought into the emotional sincerity and Gordon-Levitt's journey. Considering there's few great films in the Christmas genre, I think this one is a keeper and I could see myself watching it in future years around this time

Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:21 am
Forum General

It was good, but it won't be one of my favorite Rogan comedies. Michael Shannon stole every scene he was in and the movie does have ALOT of heart. While the main three have great chemistry, Levitt felt so restrained here and I can't help but think what Franco would have brought to that role especially after that hilarious cameo.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:37 pm
Hold the door!

This is mildly entertaining, but rather formulaic and predictable, and ultimately forgettable.

C+

Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:11 pm
Cream of the Crop

The Night Before is equal parts heartwarming and offensive, easily one of the top ten Christmas comedies. *A*

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:29 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I saw this recently and found it mildly funny not really as offensive as I thought it would be, but that could be because of my religious background. JGL while being the central character is the weakest link of the movie, it looks like he is not even trying. Mackie is decent but his comedic touch leaves much to be desired. Rogen as expected comes out best and gives one of the best comic and offensive sequences of last year in the church scene. The supporting cast is pretty much more entertaining to watch, specially Mindy Kalling and Michael Shannon. The ending becomes VERY predictable. The love story between Caplan and JGL is a pass by thought from start to end.

5/10

Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:25 am
New Server, Same X

I agree with zwack on this one. After the abomination of Office Christmas Party, I was hoping for a better, funnier Christmas flick with The Night Before, but aside from a few funny moments (Rogen reasoning with himself about sucking a dick), it's largely forgettable. The Kanye on a floor piano, Big-style, and Miley Cyrus and JGL singing Wrecking Ball are hideously distracting and add so little to the movie, other than to date it.

I do like the friendship of the main trio, and there are lots of solid supporting parts (Ilana Glazer and especially Michael Shannon). But the onslaught of sex and drugs humor ends up off-putting rather than hilarious and raunchy.

C+

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]