Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Dark Places (2015) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Dark Places (2015) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Dark Places (2015)
Dark Places (2015)

Quote:
Dark Places is an upcoming psychological mystery film directed and written by Gilles Paquet-Brenner. It is based on the novel Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. It stars Charlize Theron, Christina Hendricks, Nicholas Hoult and Chloƫ Grace Moretz.

The film will be released in the United States on August 7, 2015 courtesy of A24 Films. It was released on April 8, 2015 in France.

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: Dark Places (2015)
I rented this a couple weeks ago. I really liked it despite feeling a little on the cheap side. Charlize was great. I did have the usual problem I have with movies based on books I've read in that the events felt sped up and of course stuff is left out. But that's always going to be. It was a good adaptation though. Could have been much better if Fincher directed this adaptation of Flynn's novel as well. I think he and Flynn teaming up again could have created another fantastic film. As is it's more your average mystery thriller buoyed by strong performances.

8/10 (B+)

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:30 pm
Keeping it Light

When Magic Mike wrote "average mystery thriller buoyed by strong performances" I see a lot of truth in it. With the emphasis on average. Pretty everything is average about this, and the film is only just held up by the performances of the actors which is good. But they aren't great either, because the flow or the script of the film just don't allow it. There's a very good story beneath it here, but it very poorly translates into a good film, and I mostly just feel it's spun into cliches, and quite bad editing. The story of the "event" is chronologically well told, but there's the introduction of other dialogue that's never finished in a polished way.

It's clear it tries to copy a lot of the success Gone Girl achieved, but Dark Places is just a far cry from it. Also the voice over from Theron just doesn't fit with it at all. The what really happened story keeps you interested, but otherwise the film has nothing to offer.

Also found it funny that Theron and Hoult where already paired together in Mad Max: Fury Road this year as well.

Oh, and the Director was very poorly chosen. It's basically amateurish, and for sure in the hands of someone like Fincher this might have easily been turned in a good film.

C

Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Agreed with stuffp on this with a great director this had the potential to be great but as of now its just another mystery thriller. The movie just goes through the motions without making us care for any of the characters.

I am surprised that this was made and released after Gone Girl because Gillian Flynn had another great story and this needed better treatment than this turd.

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]