Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A Walk to Remember 

What grade would you give this film?
A 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

A Walk to Remember 
College Boy Z

Post A Walk to Remember
A Walk to Remember

Quote:
A Walk To Remember is a 2002 American romance film based on the 1999 romance novel of the same name by Nicholas Sparks. The film stars Shane West and Mandy Moore, was directed by Adam Shankman, and produced by Denise Di Novi and Hunt Lowry for Warner Bros. The novel, written by Sparks, is set in the 1950s while the film is set in 1998.

Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:47 am
Extraordinary

- B/B+

Last edited by publicenemy#1 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:28 pm
We had our time together

There is something about this movie I totally love. Not you're typical teenie romance crap. Mandy Moore is really sweet here.

A

Last edited by Riggs on Sat May 07, 2005 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I seriously can't watch this movie without balling, it brings back too many memories... :cry:

8/10 (B+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

When I was in the 8th grade ALL the girl would freak out when someone mentioned it. They have posters everywhere, It was kindof annoying.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:37 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Sat May 07, 2005 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Mandy Moore is wonderful in this sweet and moving love story.

8/10 (B+)

Sat May 07, 2005 11:16 pm
Profile YIM
Award Winning Bastard

On the agenda for tonight for me to watch.

Wed May 11, 2005 6:23 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I'll try to get this up tomorrow. I've seen it. I'll be seeing The Others tonight, so I might have them both up.

Thu May 12, 2005 9:34 pm
No Wire Tampons!

i cried.
a lot.

Fri May 13, 2005 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Lecter will hate this review, as he gets on me for only grading the movies that I like, but I don't care to come here and gravitate toward being nagative, so I stay away from those. One day, I'll give him what he wants, and search this forum out for every movie that I didn't care for, but not today. A Walk To Remember did something rare to me. It brought a tear to my eye. A few times it almost did, but it wasn't until the end that it happened.

When Landon, the popular, but arrogant and rude highschooler gets in trouble, he is sentenced to community service in the form of becoming involved in the school's theater academics, and in forced into being in a play that Jamie is involved with. He has known Jamie since they started going to school, but considered her beneath his taste in friends, as did all of his popular friends. Along the way, Landon asks her to help him with his line reading, which she agrees to do "as long as he doesn't fall in love with her". Landon didn't think that would be a problem, but little by little, she starts to have an influence over him, and he likes the new person that he's becoming. Problem is, his friends think she's a nerd, and her father (a preacher) is not a fan of his. His true feelings for her start to emerge during their play, as he sees her in a whole new light, and he becomes very interested in her. Even to the point that he gives up his friends, as he becomes protective of her after a cruel joke that they play on her one day at school.

Landon asks her out, but she tells him she's not allowed to date, and not wanting to take no for an answer, Landon pays a visit to her father, and throws himself on his mercy. It works, too, as he does get to take her out, and what follows is just the sweetest, warmest, and most charming love story you ever did see. Nothing is sweeter than Landon's desire to help her with her "to do" list, and figuring out a way to get her in two places at once was quite clever of him. If she wasn't a preacher's daughter, that little move would have surely got him laid. ( ruined a perfectly nice review by throwing a little smut in there #-o ) She made him want to do better. She had an effect on him that made him turn his back on who he used to be. He even started his own "to do" list, wanting to go to medical school, and even his mother had her doubts, but Landon didn't, because he realized that Jamie taught him to believe in himself, and all things were possible.

Unfortunately, life isn't perfect, and Jamie reveals to Landon that she has leukemia. She tries to break up so he doesn't have to deal with it, but he doesn't want to let her go. As she gets sicker, he shows just how good his character is, as he stays by her side through it all, and he even finally wins the utmost respect of her father, who had always questioned his character. Much to Landon's surprise, his estranged father, who has has never had a relationship with, agrees to help his son out, and offers to pay for home treatment (he was loaded) so Jamie could go home. In her last days, Landon does his best to make her happy, learning to dance, building a big telescope for her, and asking her to do the #1 thing on her "to do" list, to get married, which without saying, would be in the church where her mom and dad married. They got to spend the summer together before she died. :cry: The part that brought the tear to my eye :oops: , was 4 years later, after Landon had been accepted to medical school and was visiting Jamie's dad, and told him that he wished he could have given her a miracle, and her dad told him that HE was her miracle. It got me...

It didn't receive any awards, though it should have, and at least it wasn't totally ignored at the box office. A Walk to Remember is a film that I will never forget. Touching, heartbreaking, charming, personal, and a very well told story, with great performances from all involved.

A

This borders on an A+

Fri May 13, 2005 10:03 pm
Sbil

Glad you liked it so much, Mav. I thought it was just such a sweet movie.

Mandy Moore truly impresses me; I think she's really a pretty good actress and I love most of her music.

Fri May 13, 2005 11:53 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Mandy Moore truly impresses me; I think she's really a pretty good actress and I love most of her music.

You succeeded in turning me into a sissy, Libs, I cried. :oops: (just one tear) Did you cry? Please say yes so I don't feel like even more of a sissy.

I thought the love story was perhaps the sweetest love story that I've ever seen. This movie is a true gem that everyone should see.

Fri May 13, 2005 11:57 pm
Sbil

Libs wrote:

You succeeded in turning me into a sissy, Libs, I cried. :oops: (just one tear) Did you cry? Please say yes so I don't feel like even more of a sissy.

I thought the love story was perhaps the sweetest love story that I've ever seen. This movie is a true gem that everyone should see.

Heh, I didn't cry. Probably because I've seen that sort of ending before (Love Story, Here on Earth, etc).

I did think it was very sweet, like I said, though.

You should try to get the song Moore sings in the play, "Only Hope", somehow. Fantastic.

"Someday We'll Know" is a duet between her and the lead singer of Switchfoot that's also on the soundtrack. Another great song.

Sat May 14, 2005 12:00 am
Teh Mexican

i didnt think it was that good!, but yeah its a sweet sad movie, good performances!
.....and i did shed a tear :oops:

B

Sat May 14, 2005 12:02 am
Award Winning Bastard

Heh, I didn't cry. Probably because I've seen that sort of ending before (Love Story, Here on Earth, etc).

I did think it was very sweet, like I said, though.

You should try to get the song Moore sings in the play, "Only Hope", somehow. Fantastic.

"Someday We'll Know" is a duet between her and the lead singer of Switchfoot that's also on the soundtrack. Another great song.

Now I REALLY feel like a sissy. #-o I never cry, not even in death situations in real life. Suppose it's good that I did.

She has a very nice voice, and since my girlie side came out, I suppose that it's only fitting to seek out the soundtrack. :-$

Sat May 14, 2005 12:08 am
No Wire Tampons!

to be honst i felt more of an emotional connection to this film because of the Moore characters "condition". I think that speaks to a lot of people who have been touched by the same thing; otherwise i probobly wouldnt have found it quite as emotional.

However; whilst it was very sad on films terms it was probobly a B

Sat May 14, 2005 9:30 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A

such a great film, it realy surised me, and it had a great affect on me being the first film of its kind that I have seen. Overall totaly awesome film :cool:

Sat May 14, 2005 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

Hmm...first time i seen this film i would have given it an A-. But after several viewings, i feel they fall in love a little TOO fast, and too easily. but i guess that can happen. And it seems to be a sort of anti climax. If you want to ball out loud. Try Stepmom, which in my opinion is THE most successful tearjerker. I get into hysterics every single time.

A Walk to Remember B

Tue May 31, 2005 11:08 am
Award Winning Bastard

:cry:

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:58 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

I just ran across the song "Only Hope" on my computer and remembered how much I loved this movie. I really wasn't expecting that much from it, being that it was a romance. It was very hyped among people I knew (religious) who supported that content, but I didn't get around to seeing it for several years.

And yeah, it was really, really good. Really touched me in a way that few movies manage to. I guess I'm with Mav on this one I can be a softie sometimes.

A-

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:16 am
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Amazing film. It made me cry for the first time in a decade (onions aside). Way back in high school I had a friend that suffered from leukemia, but she narrowly survived. Learned much about hardship and courage.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:32 am
All Star Poster

I had to watch this for a class assignement when i was in 8th grade, its an awsome film. And Mandy Moore puts up a really good Preformance.

A really sad film, but I didnt cry

A-

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:20 am
Forum General

Sweet movie, with a surprisingly great soundtrack.

B+

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next