Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Jimi: All Is by My Side 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Jimi: All Is by My Side

Quote:
Jimi: All Is by My Side is a 2013 British-Irish drama film about Jimi Hendrix, written and directed by John Ridley. It was screened in the Special Presentation section at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival. It was screened at the South by Southwest film festival and was released in the UK on 8 August 2014. The film screened at the New Zealand International Film Festival (NZIFF) on 26 July 2014.

The film does not include any songs written by Hendrix, as the filmmakers' request to use them was denied by Experience Hendrix LLC (Hendrix's estate). Instead, the film set in London in 1966 and 1967 includes the songs that Hendrix performed during those years, shortly before the release of his debut album, Are You Experienced. All musical parts were played by Waddy Wachtel (guitar), Leland Sklar (bass), Kenny Aronoff (drums). Wachtel wrote bits of music that sounds as the Experience early stuff.

The film has caused controversy as several of Hendrix's friends, including Kathy Etchingham, have vocally decried the film as largely fictitious. This includes scenes depicting a fictionalized Hendrix violently and repeatedly beating Etchingham (played by Hayley Atwell). In interviews given recently, Etchingham describes Hendrix as a gentle man, and the time she spent with him some of the best years of her life.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Jimi: All Is by My Side
An atmospheric and interesting biopic despite a major production obstacle: the estate of subject Jimi Hendrix did not grant permission for the use of his songs, hamstringing the surely potent temptation to unleash "Purple Haze" or "The Wind Cries Mary" at key dramatic moments. It slips around the problem by squarely focusing on Hendrix's quote-unquote origin story, tracing him from his discovery in an R&B nightclub to the eve of his first U.S. tour at the height of the Summer of Love. (The ending is a tad abrupt.) The songs heard are largely blues covers and instrumental psychedelic jams, as well as cuts by other groups of the era. The film brings mid-sixties London (the music, the social tensions) to vivid life, including a fascinating scene in which volatile civil-rights revolutionary Michael X encounters a reluctant Hendrix and tries to recruit him as a symbol. OutKast's André Benjamin is solid in the central role: he captures the low-key charm and out-in-space vibe Hendrix conveyed in interviews without lapsing into hagiography or overly nostalgic simplicity. The performance has a bit of bite. And Hayley Atwell and Imogen Poots are both stupendous as Kathy Etchingham and Linda Keith, respectively. Both are women in turned entranced, wooed, and hurt by Hendrix during his meteoric rise.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]