Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dirty Pretty Things 

What grade would you give this film?
A 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Dirty Pretty Things 
Commander and Chef

Post Dirty Pretty Things
Dirty Pretty Things

Quote:
Dirty Pretty Things is a 2002 film directed by Stephen Frears and written by Steven Knight, a drama about two illegal immigrants in London. It was produced by the Celador Films production company.

The film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and won a British Independent Film Award for "Best Independent British Film" in 2003.

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Something about Audrey Tattou makes your heart melt. Shes just so downright cute. This movie is nothing short of a masterpiece. Disturbing as hell, it focusses on immigrant life, the london underground and the type of things people are forced to do when exploiting their lives becomes easy. More so are the smaller themes it focusses on; ranging from emphasis on culture (Tattou portraying an innocent Muslim Turk) and how that becomes a factor in how even the antagonists treat her.

This movie was another one that I felt deserved academy recognition .. sadly, it didn't.

This concludes a look at bABA's favoritist 2003 movies.

A+

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It was actually a pretty decent, smart movie. The first half was a commentary on immigration and social prblems, but I've never seen someone transition more smoothly into a thriller. It really was that by the end of the movie, but the atmosphere of fear and general disdain for the treatment of immigrants is never abandoned. That one line at the end about "not seeing us" is a bit much, but not too bothersome. Tautau's best role, and really probably the best movie she's been in.

A-

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:47 am
Team Kris

It was actually a pretty decent, smart movie. The first half was a commentary on immigration and social prblems, but I've never seen someone transition more smoothly into a thriller. It really was that by the end of the movie, but the atmosphere of fear and general disdain for the treatment of immigrants is never abandoned. That one line at the end about "not seeing us" is a bit much, but not too bothersome. Tautau's best role, and really probably the best movie she's been in.

A-

That's why I consider this movie as having a flawless screenplay. A well-deserved Oscar nomination. Aside from the story and amazing leads, I thought the scene-stealing cliche role of hooker with a heart of gold is played to perfection by Sophie Okonedo. Benedict Wong as a morgue worker also added some much needed comic touch in this otherwise dark thriller.

A

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:02 pm
Veteran

I saw this awhile ago but its still pretty fresh in my mind. Its a very good movie I really did enjoy it.

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Original

Nice effort. The immigrant life could have been shown better (Theres a lot more dirty stuff going one than shown in the movie).
But at least somebody tries to show it in that movie format.
8.5/10

Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:53 pm
Extraordinary

Pretty good, great performances. I remember seeing the cover for this thinking it was another of Tautou's French films but I was surprised to learn this was in English, and the main focus wasn't on her character. Despite it being under developed, I really liked the relationship between Okwe and Senay. A really interesting look on illegal immigrants.

- B+

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]