Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Contact 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
B 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

Contact 
College Boy Z

Post Contact
Contact

Quote:
Contact is a 1997 American science fiction drama film adapted from the Carl Sagan novel of the same name and directed by Robert Zemeckis. Both Sagan and wife Ann Druyan wrote the story outline for the film adaptation of Contact.

Jodie Foster portrays the film's protagonist, Dr. Eleanor "Ellie" Arroway, a SETI scientist who finds strong evidence of extraterrestrial life and is chosen to make first contact. The film also stars Matthew McConaughey, James Woods, Tom Skerritt, William Fichtner, John Hurt, Angela Bassett and David Morse.

Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan began working on the film in 1979. Together, they wrote a 100+ page film treatment and set Contact up at Warner Bros. with Peter Guber and Lynda Obst as producers. When the film ended up in development hell, Sagan published Contact as a novel in 1985 and the film adaptation was rejuvenated in 1989. Roland Joffé and George Miller had planned to direct it, but Joffé dropped out in 1993 and Miller was fired by Warner Bros. in 1995. Robert Zemeckis was eventually hired to direct, and filming for Contact lasted from September 1996 to February 1997. The majority of the visual effects sequences were handled by Sony Pictures Imageworks.

The film was released on July 1, 1997 to mixed reviews. Contact grossed approximately $171 million in worldwide box office totals. The film won the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation and received multiple awards and nominations at the Saturn Awards. The release of Contact was publicized by controversies from the Clinton administration and CNN, as well as individual lawsuits from George Miller and Francis Ford Coppola.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:22 pm
MISSING IN ACTION

Well to start off, this is probably in my Top 5 all time movies. So as you might imagine, I LOVED THE FILM! It really is a thought provoking film. Though I still dont sort of get it, it really gets you to ask questions! Apart from that, Jodie Foster's performance was amazing, and the adventure that she brings you through, through out the whole film, is great. I loved the movie towards the end where it looks as if she just falls through the sphere, and she wakes up and says "What year is it?" I also loved the part when she was going through the worm holes. Truly one of my most favorite films.

A

Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

The best thing about this movie besides Foster's great performance is the way it handles the question of faith. A very intelligent and well-done movie, but the aliens are a little too ambiguous. B+.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:46 am
Profile WWW
I hate to sound predictable but I loved the entire film until the ending. Still, great visual effects and solid source material and screenplay. I enjoyed the way it dealt with religion and science.

B

Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:26 am
Commander and Chef

the movie kept me awake

so a solid B+

Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:54 pm
We had our time together

Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

One of my all time favorites.

I love everything about this movie. Near perfect, IMO.

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:08 pm
Sbil

This was a fantastic movie. Jodie Foster actually deserved another nomination for this performance. A-

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:52 pm
Veteran

I agree with loyal. The ending was too strange and spoiled a great movie. But I loved Jodie Foster as I do in most of her roles.

B+

Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The ending did the most damage to this movie, but even before that, I thought it dragged at times quite a bit and was rather tedious. Foster displays her great acting skills once again and visually this movie is very nice to watch. Great production values and a lot of originality. I am surprised that the movie actually crossed $100 million at the box-office despite being a rather slow-ish film. Just goes on to show that whatever Zemeckis touches turns to gold.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:17 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Very well-told with great performances and a fantastic story. Does a pretty good job of adapting the novel by capturing the main plot points and themes. Almost never boring and always interesting. I even though the ending was fine, it was the same as the book, so any problems with it are the book's fault.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:35 am
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Great film, deserving an A. I love how it tackles the issue of religion and what it stands for, though being in America, holding that opinion is dangerous. Surprising that bible thumpers don't kill more people in dogmatic rage.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:40 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

CONTACT gets an "A" from me for being very thought provoking and raising more questions then answers, not to mwention the FX are top notch and the Cast is Superb on all levels not to mention the premise in itself.. It's a movie you can watch over and over and ages very well also..

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:40 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

I'll be watching this sometime later in the week actually.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:58 am
Forum General

I hated the ending the first time I saw it, but I was also 10 whenever that was, so I really just wanted to see her blast off into space. And some cool space explosions. Or aliens.

I love it now, though. It doesn't just reconcile space with heaven -- it goes to heaven. And for me, though I might have expected something less deliberate and more ambiguous, it really got to me.

Contact would probably make my top 100 films.

A

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:02 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Heh, I actually loved the ending. I think the way everything was handled was superb. The entire film, despite lagging from time to time was really just amazing to watch once it was all absorbed. The way the concepts were handled was really quite good. Definately a must see. A

Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:00 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Contact
It's basically a better version of Close Encounters. Which isn't too surprising considering how similar Spielberg and Zemeckis are, and that Close Encounter isn't that good. It could probably drop all the eccentric billionaire saves the day parts, and others to make the pace a little faster. But I mostly liked the way the story came together and how the characters reacted to each new hurdle. B+

I was spoiler on the alien as the father ending long ago thanks to South Park. I did still like the way the faith v science issue ended up so ironic for Jodie though.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:27 pm
now we know

Hmm, interesting film. It is not emotionally stimulating or even particularly intellectually engrossing, but it is interesting how Zemeckis debates faith and science in this needlessly lengthy sci-fi drama. There are a few moments of genuine excitement and surprise, which were very welcome. But it has been an experiment in viewing a film for the first time twenty years after it was originally released in that the experience the viewer demands is of a higher, more involving nature. The cinematography was smooth, but slow. The score was pleasant, but standard. The performances were all top-notch and the visual effects still hold up today. But, and while their goals are different, Interstellar does a profoundly better job in immersing the viewer into another world.

I am glad I've seen Contact. I am not interested in having the discussion of faith, so this aspect was lost on me, but I can appreciate the film-making even if it does take forever to present its core idea.

B-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:59 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Was hoping for a better response, I find it highly engrossing throughout, but still happy you like some elements of it.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:11 am
now we know

I feel the alien language explanation was better than Arrival, but less cinematic and gripping. It was also much less cinematic and gripping than Interstellar. It is textbook 90s stuff in terms of film-making.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]