Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Dances with Wolves 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Dances with Wolves 
College Boy Z

Post Dances with Wolves
Dances with Wolves

Quote:
Dances with Wolves is a 1990 epic western movie directed by and starring Kevin Costner. It is a film adaptation of the 1988 book of the same name by Michael Blake and tells the story of a Union Army Lieutenant who travels to the American frontier to find a military post, and his dealings with a group of Lakota Indians.

Costner developed the film over five years, with a budget of only $22 million. Dances with Wolves had high production values and won 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture and the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Drama. Much of the dialogue is in the Lakota language with English subtitles. It was shot in South Dakota and Wyoming.

It is credited as a leading influence for the revitalization of the Western genre of filmmaking in Hollywood. In 2007, Dances with Wolves was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:23 pm
Veteran

I'm not kidding when I say this is in my top 5 movies of all time. Before the LOTR trilogy, I would say it was my favorite movie. It was one of those movies that just totally 'clicked' with me when I saw it. I think it deserved every Oscar it won and them some. I know that's blasphemy to all the Scorcese fans out there, but hey, it's just my opinion. Maybe someday Costner can come close to doing something as good as this. Open Range was a step in the right direction. I rate it an A.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:49 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Brilliant movie. Good story, well acted. Love that era.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Excellent movie with good acting, score and photography. I was in Rapid City, SD when this movie was being made. I watched part of the shooting that took place in the Badlands.

A

Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:28 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Fantastic movie. It's really long but it kept me interested the whole time. Costner never was better. A

Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

This move is in my top three films of all time, everything about this movie is top notch, has no glaring faults and was better than Goodfellas.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

The first film that ever made me feel ashamed to be white, 24 June 1999

When I was perhaps 10 years old I saw the mini series Roots. That story affected me, but I was too young to really understand and grasp everything that it was showing me. It wasn't until ten years later when I saw this film that something about the destructiveness of white people really hit me. There have been films that I have seen since that bothered me. Films like Instinct and Boyz and The Hood were eye openers as well, but this was one of the first ( along with Mississippi Burning ) that made me embarrassed for being white. I wanted to go outside and apologize to the world for the race that I belong to. It is that powerful of a film. This must have been something that Costner was building up to in the years past because this has to be an incredibly personal film to him because there is so much raw power and emotion put into it.

DWW shows us how peaceful natives were before white man came along and destroyed their world. It shows us and wants us to know how terrible the white man has been and when you watch this film it does take you back to other films like Boyz, Mississippi, and even Malcolm X.

I really applaud this film and I am so amazed that Costner did the job he did in his first effort. This film deserved every Oscar it received and if it wasn't for such an incredible performance from Joe Pesci, then Graham Greene probably would have taken home a best supporting actor Oscar.

This is a really important film and it has something to say. Not many films actually can do that and still maintain it's entertainment value. This is a great movie.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

The amazing thing about this movie is that it absolutely never drags despite it's long running time. I even wished it would have been a bit longer. Because every time I see it I get more into it. Costner gives a great performance. Very 'natural', I thought. Greene and McDonnel were great too. The cinematography is breathtaking. It must have been awesome seeing it on the big screen. The buffalo hunt was one of the greatest scenes in film history and the scene where the wolve get's shot is just heartbreaking. I was getting so aggressive when they weren't stopping shooting at him. Masterpiece. I'll higher my grade to A+.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:12 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: Dances with Wolves
This wasn't bad, but my gosh does it go on forever, steadily leaking momentum through the last hour of the film. I'll give it major props for being the wokest movie in an age before being woke was cool, though I'm pretty sure the woke crowd would shout something about appropriation if this came out today.

I know it's implied that he lived, but I was out after they shot Two Socks.

B-

Fri May 08, 2020 3:01 pm
Devil's Advocate

Yea I haven't seen this in ages but I always wondered why people weren't more mad that they made Costner's love interest a white girl who just happened to be part of the native camp.

Fri May 08, 2020 4:46 pm
Keeping it Light

A wonderful epic, bolstered by an excellent Costner it's a great drama, bringing the time the story takes place to life. I'm not even sure what else to say about it, it's a memorable film, wonderful cinematography and score and there's a realization of what an absolute presence Costner had at the time. The awards and accolades the film received are definitely deserved.

A-

Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]