Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 King's Ransom 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

King's Ransom 
College Boy Z

Post King's Ransom
King's Ransom

Quote:
King's Ransom is a 2005 comedy film, directed by Jeffrey W. Byrd and written by Wayne Conley, who was a writer for Kenan & Kel.

Last edited by zingy on Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:24 pm
I'm Batman

Anthony Anderson is a riot. By far the funniest man in the movie biz.

A++++ (better than BTTF)

Last edited by BacktotheFuture on Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:47 pm
Teenage Dream

A++++ (better than BTTF)

Are you serious? This looks like crap. At Rotten Tomatoes it has 0% which is worse than Alone in the Dark's 1%.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:50 pm
I'm Batman

Do you really think I'd rank any movie above BTTF? :razz:

As course it was a joke, this movie looks like shit.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:51 pm
Teenage Dream

Thank god. Who would want to see this crappy looking movie?

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:53 pm
I'm Batman

BacktotheFuture wrote:

Thank god. Who would want to see this crappy looking movie?

People who want to commit suicide?

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:54 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
BacktotheFuture wrote:

A++++ (better than BTTF)

Are you serious? This looks like crap. At Rotten Tomatoes it has 0% which is worse than Alone in the Dark's 1%.

It's funny, I saw the 0 at RT but I didn't open it cause I thought it opened next week.

Have to check what the critics say for laughs.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

To be fair though it only has like 10 reviews at RT. I mean it'd probably still be a 0% thought cause it Anthony "unfunny fatass" Anderson.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:00 pm
No Wire Tampons!

Anthony Anderson has all the comedic timing of a slowly dying trout fish waiting for its head to be cut off.

Except more people like trout.

Seriously; i remember seeing him in a really bad sitcom about basketball a few years ago
I thought "Hmm, hes kind of annoying"; the thought of him as a leading man never once crossed my mind.
In Scary Movie 3 i wanted to punch him.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

I haven't seen this but I might rent it on video, it actually looks pretty damn funny. However, I think that Anthony Anderson and his current type of humor are more meant for supporting comic relief roles rather then the lead (whether people will admit it or not, he was hillarious in Cradle 2 the Grave and many other Joel Silver action flicks).

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:35 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
I haven't seen this but I might rent it on video, it actually looks pretty damn funny. However, I think that Anthony Anderson and his current type of humor are more meant for supporting comic relief roles rather then the lead (whether people will admit it or not, he was hillarious in Cradle 2 the Grave and many other Joel Silver action flicks).

Plus didn't he make his debut in the Jim Carrey movie, Me, Myself and Irene as one of the 3 brothers and then that Seagal movie with DMX.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I loved Regina Hall in the SCARY MOVIE films and she was the lone bright spot in the horrible MALIBU'S MOST WANTED. This is the only reason I might even consider renting the DVD. That's saying something since I HATE Anthony Anderson. He has to be one of my least favorite actors working today.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:00 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

If I go to the movies during the week, I might tough this one out after I see Kung Fu Hustle. Since my local movies have theaters that are easy to sneak into, I'll probably catch this one for free. The only reason why I would want to see this, even though it's free, would be because of Jay Mohr, and that's probably saying something about the movie's quality.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I loved Regina Hall in the SCARY MOVIE films and she was the lone bright spot in the horrible MALIBU'S MOST WANTED. This is the only reason I might even consider renting the DVD. That's saying something since I HATE Anthony Anderson. He has to be one of my least favorite actors working today.

FYI - She plays Ed Norton's wife in the upcoming Honeymooners movie - out 6/10/05.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

In all honesty, it wasn't half bad. Aside from the fact that Anthony Anderson is the star, and he's incredibly annoying (as usual), the movie was somewhat enjoyable in a kind of stupid way. It could have been a lot worse. C

Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:09 am
Pure Phase

Malcolm King (Anthony Anderson) is the powerful, but despicable CEO of his own corporation, King Enterprises. He's on the eve of divorcing his obnoxious wife (Kellita Smith), but afraid of losing half of his worth to her. He has a bright, dangerous idea... He'll hire someone to abduct him, collect his own ransom, pretend the ransom was so large it wiped him out financially, and not have to give his (almost) ex-wife a dime. His mistress' (Regina Hall) freshly out of prison brother (Charles Murphy) is supposed to snatch him outside of a King Enterprises employees gathering and flee with him to a five star hotel, where they'll both wait for the ransom to come pouring in. But Malcolm isn't counting on other disgruntled people he's crushed planning to abduct him on the same night. His wife has made her new lover (Roger Cross) agree to grab Malcolm, the woman (Nicole Parker) Malcolm wrongly passed over for the open VP job is also plotting to abduct him and have her revenge upon him, and a put-upon white dude (Jay Mohr) who Malcolm has only met once is hoping to use the ransom to pay his abusive sister (Lisa Marcos) and get her out of his life. When the night of the abduction(s) finally arrives, Malcolm's plan doesn't go down as he hoped... and neither do any of the other plans. KING'S RANSOM is a king-sized mess, its 95 minutes of false starts, false ends, plot holes, useless character beats, and racially/sexually/bodily fluid-charged "humor." Anderson, who supposedly has gained a following after EXIT WOUNDS, ROMEO MUST DIE, CRADLE 2 THE GRAVE, BARBERSHOP, and MALIBU'S MOST WANTED (another urban audience-ready comedy about kidnapping rich people), shows no ability to carry a feature-length comedy and isn't charming or ruthless enough to impress as Malcolm King. The rest of the cast is filled out by interesting talents who also fail to leave an impression, mainly because screenwriter Wayne Conley ("Keenan & Kel") creates an ensemble where each character has only one trait: The loser, the vindictive bitch, the vindictive bastard, the whore, etc. Regina Hall, so fun as the character Brenda in the SCARY MOVIE trilogy, is the worst victim of KING'S RANSOM's wrath: As Malcolm's bubble-headed, over-the-top mistress, she's so bad I almost wanted to weep for her halfway through her first scene. In many ways, KING'S RANSOM reminded me of RUTHLESS PEOPLE and VERY BAD THINGS, but its worse than both of those. It doesn't have the former's defined characters and sharp dialogue, while this film's "PG-13" rating ensures it can't have the same amount of over-the-top violence and sexuality as the latter. If there's anything nice to say about this film, its that director Jeff Byrd (SEVENTEEN AGAIN) shows some, emphasis on SOME, sense of style and the film's mercifully less than 100 minutes long. This is my warning to all of you: KING'S RANSOM is an ugly, pitiful, and absolutely stupid piece of mean-spirited trash. I didn't smile once during the whole feature running time and I doubt you will either, so just save yourself the Netflix queue slot or rental fee and avoid this disaster.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]