Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Kick-Ass 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Kick-Ass 2 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Kick-Ass 2
Kick-Ass 2

Quote:
Kick-Ass 2 is a 2013 British-American superhero action comedy film based on the comic book of the same name and Hit-Girl, both by Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr., and is a sequel to the 2010 film Kick-Ass. The film was written and directed by Jeff Wadlow and co-produced by Matthew Vaughn, who directed the first film.

The film was released on August 14, 2013 in the United Kingdom and Ireland and on August 16 in the United States and Canada. Matthew Vaughn's production company, Marv Films, produced the film alongside Universal Pictures.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Kick-Ass 2
Yeah it's not as good as the first (which is a truly fantastic comic book film), but Kick-Ass 2 still holds it own. It deviates a bit more from the source material then the first one did but the film also rounds out patches left from the second graphic novel. The film is still fairly humorous and while there may be some cringeworthy lines of dialogue here and there as well as some truly ridiculous action sequences, I still had a lot of fun with this in the end.

It'll be very interesting to see what they'll do with the third film considering in the graphic novel...
Spoiler: show
Hit-Girl is arrested at the end and is in prison at the start of Kick-Ass 3 with the other superheroes trying to break her out.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:18 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

You mean if there is a third film...

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

I think including WW grosses it'll more than double it's $29M budget which should allow the third film to happen.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:22 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

There will be a third film.

Lecter is just being annoying because he was so let down by it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:51 am
Pure Phase

Due to its fantastic performance on home video after a strong, if unspectacular run in theatres, Kick-Ass, the ultra-violent, ultra-cynical comic revision of the superhero film which became an instant cult favorite upon release in 2010, receives a modest sequel three and a half years later. The result is inferior to the first in most respects, yet still entertaining. The factor of surprise is gone, a blow for which the film cannot always compensate: controversial, scene stealing character Hit-Girl is still a dynamic and agile spitfire, but the charge of how-far-can-and-will-this-go excitement encircling this pint sized symbol of brutal justice is no longer as potent, and the film's attempts to ignite it anew at times fall flat, including the disgusting, idiotic sequence concluding a storyline which pits hardened vigilante Mindy against a trio of high-school-overlord beauties. However, there remains a great deal to enjoy here. The action sequences, in the third act in particular, are colorful and well staged, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, as Dave/Kick-Ass, holds his own with more confidence amidst a sea of side heroes and antagonists with outsize personalities and abilities.

As for Jim Carrey, playing former mob enforcer turned born-again Christian superhero Colonel Stars and Stripes and replacing Nicolas Cage as the franchise's resident A-list star, his role is neither as riveting nor as extensive as one might expect. He is energized, but this character represents a limited playground for an actor with such enormous talent. His involvement with Kick-Ass 2 will prove more memorable for his subsequent denouncement of it due to the over-the-top violence than his actions in front of the camera.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:22 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

The best part of this movie is the framed photo of Nicolas Cage. Must own.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Cage's absence is felt here. He brought a great deal to the table in the first film as a demented answer to Adam West's Batman. The Carrey casting which seemed so amazing and exciting once upon a time does not pan out in the sequel. Bit of a boring part, with an early exit.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:28 pm
Pure Phase

Oh, this is not a huge deal, but they seriously kick the character of Katie (Dave's crush turned girlfriend in the first) to the curb in this one, don't they?

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:32 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

David wrote:
Oh, this is not a huge deal, but they seriously kick the character of Katie (Dave's crush turned girlfriend in the first) to the curb in this one, don't they?

Well Katie breaks up with Dave in the first graphic novel when she finds out he isn't gay so it wouldn't make sense for her and Dave to have much of any screentime together in this one. It also allowed for the invasion on Nightbitch's house (which is originally Katie's in the Kick-Ass 2 graphic novel) to flow better with the events of the film. That scene is also MUCH more graphic in the novel.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's amazingly uneven and something of a tonal disaster, but Carrey is really good and there were moments I quite liked (almost all of them involving Hit Girl).

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:02 pm
Pure Phase

Even though this is a fun, at times very fun movie (one I am sure I will watch again the future), I do wish I could hop for a moment to a universe where Kick-Ass 2 is an ambitious 2012 film directed by Matthew Vaughn with an increased budget at his disposal, a top-flight script, etc. There is a slightly deflating air of compromise around this actual sequel, as if the energy is dialed down to a six or seven and everyone is a year and a half past maximum investment.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:21 am
Extraordinary

It feels like a DTV sequel in terms of ambition.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:34 am
Pure Phase

Does the last shot indicate Dave is going to build a more high-tech, robotic Kick-Ass suit? I couldn't study the drawing long enough.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:40 am
You must have big rats

The Dark Shape wrote:
It feels like a DTV sequel in terms of ambition.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:11 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Definitely a step-down from the firstl. Hit-Girl is easily the best thing about this, and even some of her stuff was eyeroll worthy. (the mean girls stuff could've been more fun if they didn't go for such cliche lines and random throwing up) Also Kick-Ass is such an unappealing lead character.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:45 am
The Lubitsch Touch

My brain cannot comprehend a movie worse than Kick Ass 1 so I can't even imagine the horrors in there

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:12 am
Cream of the Crop

hi yoshue, my movie lineup for tonight:

surrogates
long time dead
seven brides for seven brothers

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:55 pm
Profile ICQ
You must have big rats

Heinrich Himmler wrote:
hi yoshue, my movie lineup for tonight:

surrogates
long time dead
seven brides for seven brothers

LOL, I switched through the chanels and stumbled upon two of those. But neither Surrogates nor Long Time Dead are any good.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

In the comic, are the no repercussions directed towards Todd for betraying Kick Ass' dad?

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Caius wrote:
In the comic, are the no repercussions directed towards Todd for betraying Kick Ass' dad?

I don't remember the comic that well, but I don't think Todd betrays him there.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Johnny Dollar wrote:
My brain cannot comprehend a movie worse than Kick Ass 1 so I can't even imagine the horrors in there

There's worse. There was worse this year in fact...

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:57 pm
Extraordinary

KICK ASS 2

I went in with no expectation after the extreme lack of promotion for the film. I like Johnson as Kick Ass and hit girl, but maybe they just should have kept it more of HG and KA school struggles and hero life on the side and get rid of the Motherfucker storyline. I liked the comic book yet real style of the first film but this one really goes comic book at you with all these ridiculous "heroes" and villains. Mother Russia was a badass but her whole sequence with the cops is over the top for me but guess it was meant to be that way. I did not like the replacement of the actor who was Kick Ass's bud in the first. I did not like the replacement of the black detective either. I agree with a reviewer who questioned the style of HG's costume. It just doesn't quite work on a girl her age and that tall. So in the end, I just somewhat enjoyed it and I did like the action sequences for the most part and the scenes with KA and HG. It was okay to watch but clearly not as a good or entertaining as the first from my pov.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:59 am
The Kramer

I was really enjoying this until

Spoiler: show
Jim Carrey dies.

Then it gets way too dark for its own good. So I'll give the first half an A-, the second a C+ and balance it out to a B. A solid effort, but one couldn't quite find a way to balance the fun with the more serious things that happen in the film.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:46 pm
Pure Phase

What a pussy. ;)

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next