Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Jagten [The Hunt] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Jagten [The Hunt] 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Jagten [The Hunt]
Jagten [The Hunt]

Quote:
The Hunt (Danish: Jagten) is a 2012 Danish drama film directed by Thomas Vinterberg and starring Mads Mikkelsen. The story is set in a small Danish village around Christmas, and follows a man who becomes the target of mass hysteria after being wrongly accused of sexually assaulting a child. The film was screened at the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival and competed at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival where Mads Mikkelsen won the Best Actor Award for his role.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:35 am
Profile WWW
Us v Them

Post Re: Jagten [The Hunt]
oh that's a good one

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:30 pm
We had our time together

A really good one, indeed. Mads Mikkelsen gives one of the finest performances I've seen in a long long time.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Wow! I was really impressed with this. One of the best films so far this year and Mads Mikkelsen gives one of the best performances of the year. If any of you have a chance to go see it DO IT! It's probably my #2 of the year right now.

9/10 (A)

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:32 pm
We had our time together

The church scene is terrific. Mikkelsen should get an award for that scene alone.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Riggs wrote:
The church scene is terrific. Mikkelsen should get an award for that scene alone.

Yeah, that is a great scene.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:24 pm
loyalfromlondon

madsnificent

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:53 am
Pure Phase

The Hunt is an atmospheric and interesting drama exploring a disturbing topic: the way a suspicion or an idea of wrongdoing, however indistinct, can become virulent, expanding and clouding as it travels from person to person until the situation spirals out of control and becomes a problem much more vast than the initial argument or concern. The fact it is coupled here with a scenario just as disturbing (a teacher falsely charged with revealing himself to and touching students and the enraged townspeople who encircle and brutalize him) only magnifies the intensity and unease.

Yet as powerful as The Hunt is on the surface, it is also too tidy and heavy-handed. The town's antagonistic reaction to the charged teacher begins as complicated and uncomfortable, as it should be, but their tactics later become macabre and violent to the point of absurdity, and I grew frustrated by the protagonist's refusal to react in a proper way to specific, direct acts of criminality. An innocent man ill at ease in his environment because he knows many are glancing in his direction and wondering if he is indeed an abuser and a deviant is fascinating to consider because the dread and grief is potent, yet hard to place. An innocent man who continues to play the dramatic martyr ("Anyone in the mood for a symbolic Christmas Eve visit to the medieval church?") after his dog is dead, his face bloodied and bruised, etc. is a more frustrating and inauthentic proposition, even if he allows the film to again and again set up anxious sequences which leave the viewer angered and engaged.

There is a spot-on line in a positive, but muted review by critic for the Dissolve: "It's about ambiguity, but there's nothing ambiguous about the film itself." The Hunt does leave an impression. It is wrenching and hypnotic, and the craft deserves credit, as does a committed performance by lead Mads Mikkelsen, yet there is also a deflating sensation as it goes on, as it becomes clearer and clearer the overall enterprise is less interested in a real world (a real justice system, a real town with real dynamics) and more interested in functioning as a type of audience teasing exploitation spectacle disguised as a funereal indictment of the perceived reactionary nature of middle-class society.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:13 am
Devil's Advocate

This is really great, intensity turned to 11. By the second half of the film even I was beginning to wonder if he did it, despite all the evidence against it. A classic among persecution type of films and maybe the best of Denmark's surge lately

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]