Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 No 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

No 
loyalfromlondon

Post No
No

Quote:
No is a 2012 Chilean film directed by Pablo Larraín. The film is based on the unpublished play El Plebiscito, written by Antonio Skármeta. Mexican actor Gael García Bernal plays René, an in-demand advertising man working in Chile in the late 1980s. The historical moment the film captures is when advertising tactics came to be widely used in political campaigns. The campaign in question was the historic 1988 plebiscite of the Chilean citizenry over whether general Pinochet should have another 8 year term as President.

At the 85th Academy Awards the film was nominated for the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:25 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: No
Nominated for the Academy Award for best foreign-language film, No is a fact derived, stylized, and often amusing political drama set in Chile during the final month of the cruel and longstanding dictatorship of Gen. Augusto Pinochet. Gael García Bernal portrays a cynical Generation X advertising hotshot enlisted to devise and create a print and television campaign urging the divided and frightened electorate to vote against the general in an upcoming plebiscite, a vote many believe to be fixed. His vision of an MTV style campaign emphasizing a broad, pop, rainbow colored democratic joy mystifies and upsets a grim and noble left-wing elite eager to emphasize a long list of crimes against the population, including abduction and torture. The film may never prove mind-blowing, but from García Bernal's confident and soulful performance to the interesting perspective on display--a portrait of the road to freedom for an entire nation via a biting, small-scale media satire--it is entertaining, satisfying, and thoughtful from start to finish. A definite achievement, one Chile should be proud of as it opens around the globe. The one element which may prove most divisive: an aesthetic recreation of low-budget footage captured on video in the late eighties, from dim and wavering colors to visible scan lines. My reaction is mixed: I admire the left-field visual gambit, but it is, in a very basic way, a tad exhausting for the eye, coupled with yellow subtitles in particular.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 am
loyalfromlondon

The aesthetic - hewing as closely as possible to the late-80s era - takes some getting used to, but the narrative is compelling and fascinating, and Bernal is terrific as an ad man-turned-political campaigner. Its sense of time and place is as authentic and tangible as Mad Men, giving the 25-year-old archival footage a real sense of spontaneity and freshness. It's probably not better than Amour, but certainly worthy of the Oscar nomination.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 am
You must have big rats

I am pissed. I had a chance to see it at a press screening and I passed.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]