Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hard Target 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Hard Target 
loyalfromlondon

Post Hard Target
Hard Target

Quote:
Hard Target is a 1993 American action film directed by Chinese director John Woo. The film stars Jean-Claude Van Damme as Chance Boudreaux, an out-of-work Cajun merchant seaman who saves a young woman, Natasha Binder (Yancy Butler), from a gang of thugs in New Orleans. Chance learns that Binder is searching for her missing father (Chuck Pfarrer), and agrees to aid Binder in her search. Boudreaux and Binder soon learn that Binder's father has died at the hands of wealthy sportsman Emil Fouchon (Lance Henriksen) who hunts homeless men as a form of recreation.

Hard Target was Woo's first American film and was also the first major Hollywood film made by a Chinese director. Universal Pictures was nervous on having Woo direct a feature, and sent in director Sam Raimi to look over the film's production and to take Woo's place as director if he were to fail. Woo went through several scripts finding mostly martial arts films with which he was not interested. After deciding on Chuck Pfarrer's script for Hard Target, Woo wanted to have actor Kurt Russell in the lead role, but found Russell too busy with other projects. Woo then went with Universal's initial choice of having Jean-Claude Van Damme star. Woo got along with Van Damme during filming and raised the amount of action in the film as he knew that Van Damme was up for it.

After 65 days of filming in New Orleans, Woo had trouble with the Motion Picture Association of America to secure the R rating that Universal wanted. Woo made dozens of cuts to the film until the MPAA allowed it an R rating. On its initial release, Hard Target was a financial success but received mixed reviews from film critics. Critics found Hard Target to have good action scenes but noted the weak script and poor quality acting from Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 pm
now we know

One of Woo's best movies and one of my favourites. It uses the New Orleans setting wonderfully and has two of the most villainous bad guys in Lance Henriksen and Arnold Vosloo. Van Damme is also great in this like no other film with his long hair, French origin, and cool persona. Woo knows how to shoot action and he nails it here.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:49 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Hard Target
An overrated film. I'll never understand why so many people think this is better than Broken Arrow or Faceoff

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:52 pm
now we know

Post Re: Hard Target
This isn't better than Broken Arrow or Face/Off, but I can understand why some think it's better than Face/Off because the stuntmen on the speedboats really ruined the final act for me.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]