Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Not Fade Away 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Not Fade Away 
loyalfromlondon

Post Not Fade Away
Not Fade Away

Quote:
Not Fade Away is a film directed by David Chase. It was released on December 21, 2012.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:23 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Not Fade Away
Well into his sixties, television veteran David Chase at long last transitions into film with Not Fade Away, an electrifying and nuanced coming-of-age drama set during the British Invasion. Here is a picture which may be born of nostalgia, but is not defined or limited by it. The main character is Douglas, a shy teenager in suburban New Jersey who is energized and inspired by the Stones as they conquer the world with their blues inspired, sex infused music and image. The film pursues Douglas as he feuds with his conservative Italian American father, falls in love with a beautiful and troubled girl from his neighborhood, and tries and tries and tries to achieve fame and fortune with his earnest, solid garage band, though the audience is told at the start: as with "most bands, you've never heard of them." It is nice to see a film devoted to an idealistic and rather talented musical group who go nowhere of note (not even Almost Famous): it is a bit sad, sure, but a real experience endured by many in their youth and deserving of cinematic exploration. The film's power is subtle, but potent as it paints a portrait of an era of anxious change and exploration through close observation rather than grand statement. We see the sixties we know through pop culture unfold here and there, often on a television set, but the film is conceived, shot, and cut in the present tense. It is intimate rather than panoramic or political. Each character and theme rings so true, including a stoic and wage earning father who has delivered his son a version of the American Dream, but is mystified and troubled by how he opts to utilize it, and it is clear this is a film from far inside the heart and the mind of its creator. There are several small moments which say so much regarding music, the state of the nation, etc., at times through tears and at other points with sharp humor. Consider a scene where enthusiastic suburbanite Douglas tries to prove his deep-cut blues knowledge to an African American colleague at a golf course only for the man to reveal he does not listen to Robert Johnson, but sure loves Tony Bennett. And as with the 1960s themselves, the film ends on an uncertain, almost disturbing note, and it is unclear whether Douglas and his friends achieve shelter and satisfaction, but we hope they do.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 am
Pure Phase

No one else here is going to see this, eh? :(

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:51 pm
You must have big rats

Judging by its PTA, no.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's fairly well-directed and visually interesting, plus it obviously has a great soundtrack, but good lord is this movie dull. It may be the slowest paced film of the year, and I wasn't interested or invested in any of the characters. I actually hated Douglas and found him hugely obnoxious and unlikable. I did think the family scenes were all great and they were my favorite parts of the film - the interaction between everyone felt very authentic, and I thought James Gandolfini was excellent. But for a movie that was supposedly so personal to the filmmaker, I found it fairly hollow. C+

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:53 am
Profile YIM
You are waiting for a train

Holy crap, this was fantastic. A shame I missed this in theaters (along with everyone else).

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:53 am
Pure Phase

Yay. :)

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:58 am
You are waiting for a train

It's not a movie that would've done real business in theaters, but it got buried way too early since Paramount positioned it as an awards film and it's not an awards movie in the slightest. Lucky for us who watched it then, because it's a gorgeous personal film that works as nostalgia based in a real story instead of the other way around.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]