Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Lovers and Other Strangers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

loyalfromlondon

Post Lovers and Other Strangers

Quote:
Lovers and Other Strangers is a 1970 comedy film based on the play by Renee Taylor and Joseph Bologna. The film features a cast including Richard Castellano, Gig Young, Cloris Leachman, Anne Jackson, Beatrice Arthur, Bonnie Bedelia, Michael Brandon, Harry Guardino, Anne Meara, Bob Dishy, Marian Hailey, Joseph Hindy, and, in her film debut, Diane Keaton. Sylvester Stallone was an extra in this movie. The film was nominated for three Academy Awards (it won the Academy Award for Best Original Song), and was one of the top box office performers of 1970. It established Richard Castellano as a star (receiving an Oscar nomination for his performance) and he, along with Diane Keaton, were subsequently cast in The Godfather.

Lovers and Other Strangers was released by ABC Pictures. It was released on VHS in 1980 by Magnetic Video, but soon went out of print. The Magnetic Video release was a collector's item for many years, but the film was eventually re-released on VHS by CBS/Fox Video in the 1990s. It is now available on DVD by MGM Home Entertainment.

Upon seeing this film, Richard Carpenter set about recording the song played during the wedding scene, "For All We Know", with his sister Karen. "Karen and I were in Toronto to open the show for Engelbert Humperdinck. We had one night off before opening and our manager Sherwin Bash suggested we see the film Lovers and Other Strangers. We enjoyed the film and noticed the song For All We Know which we recorded upon our return home. (It subsequently won an Oscar for Best Song of 1970)."

Taylor and Bologna followed up with their second screenplay the following year, Made for Each Other in which they also starred.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 pm
now we know

Post Re: Lovers and Other Strangers

One of the most boring movies I have ever watched. I watched it with a fine tooth comb trying to spot Stallone, but he's an extra at the wedding. Well, the wedding goes on for almost the whole film (or so it felt like), and I didn't spot him. So, one could say that it's difficult viewing.

D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]