Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Hyde Park on Hudson 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Hyde Park on Hudson 
loyalfromlondon

Post Hyde Park on Hudson
Hyde Park on Hudson

Quote:
Hyde Park on Hudson is a 2012 British biographical comedy-drama film directed by Roger Michell. The film stars Bill Murray and Laura Linney as Franklin D. Roosevelt and Margaret Suckley, respectively.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:21 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Hyde Park on Hudson
Laura Linney's character has got to be one of the most uninteresting and useless narrators in cinematic history, and the film greatly suffers for it. What could have been a somewhat fascinating look at the relationship between FDR and King George VI on the eve of WWII is turned into a boring, stuffy drama about extra-marital affairs and stamp collecting. What a waste of Bill Murray.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:45 pm
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Hyde Park on Hudson
Yeah, Trixster pretty much nailed it. Everything involving Daisy (Laura Linney) is completely uninteresting and lifeless though I wouldn't blame Linney. The material is just flat, which is amazing considering it's about one of FDR's many mistresses. How could that possibly not be interesting? Well the screenplay does nothing more than just being superficial. Why did FDR's mistresses (Daisy included) keep coming back to him? Why did they seemingly have no problems with one another?

Another aspect of the film that is almost completely ignored is the relationship between Eleanor and FDR. I know that when the film takes place they were pretty much living separate lives, but they never interacted? I honestly can't remember if they speak to one another in the film. They certainly don't have a private conversation. How is that possible? Even if their marriage was nothing more than a mutual agreement between the two, I highly doubt that they were indifferent towards one another. And if they were indifferent, why not make an effort to show it instead of seemingly glossing over it.

The relationships between FDR and King George and King George and Queen Elizabeth are quite fascinating though and prevent the film from being a complete waste of time. If they had made a movie solely about these relationships, the film could've really been something. Instead they try to combine the two main storylines though focusing mostly on the mistress stuff and it just doesn't work.

And boy did Murray's performance deserve a much better film.

(C)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue May 14, 2013 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]