Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Paradise Alley 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Paradise Alley 
loyalfromlondon

Post Paradise Alley
Paradise Alley

Quote:
Paradise Alley is a 1978 film about three brothers in Hell's Kitchen, New York City in the 1940s who become involved in professional wrestling. It was written and directed by Sylvester Stallone, and was given the green light by Universal Pictures after Stallone's success with 1976's Rocky. Stallone also stars as Cosmo, one of the brothers, and sings the film's title song.

This was the first major film in which Armand Assante appeared. Anne Archer also starred. Joe Spinell, a co-star of Rocky, played the wrestling MC.

A number of professional wrestlers appeared, including Terry Funk as the foil to the hero. Cameos include Ted DiBiase, Bob Roop, Dick Murdoch, Dory Funk Jr., Don Leo Jonathan, Don Kernodle, Gene Kiniski, Dennis Stamp, Ray Stevens, and Uliuli Fifita. Playwright and screenwriter John Monks Jr appeared as Mickey the bartender.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:12 pm
now we know

Post Re: Paradise Alley
Paradise Alley

Stallone's directorial debut and what a movie! I absolutely adore this film. I think it's really fun, really sad, really nostalgic and nothing like Rocky at all. I think that people weren't ready for this tale in 1978, or perhaps it was a little old-fashioned for 1978 - I can never decide which it is. Anyway, it didn't do well critically and it did so-so commercially.

Stallone as Cosmo Carboni, and Armand Assante and Lee Canolito making up the trio of brothers trying to get rich. All three have different personalities, and that makes this mix a tasty one. Anne Archer, oh the lovely Anne Archer, is in this, looking stunning too. Some great fights in this at the end, and some comedic moments too. There is a lot from Stallone's past in this movie, and perhaps critics at the time thought it too self-indulgent, but the best writers write about what they know, so I don't see that as a problem.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]