Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Watch 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Watch 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Watch
The Watch

Quote:
The Watch (previously known as Neighborhood Watch) is a 2012 science fiction comedy film directed by Akiva Schaffer and written by Jared Stern, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. It stars Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Jonah Hill, and Richard Ayoade. The film follows Evan (Stiller), Bob (Vaughn), Franklin (Hill), and Jamarcus (Ayoade), a group of neighbors who form a suburban neighborhood watch group and use it as a front to get away from their families. However, when they accidentally uncover an alien plot that threatens the world, they are forced into action.

The film began development in 2008 under producer Shawn Levy as a teen-audience targeted project written by Jared Stern. Between 2009 and late 2010, the project saw different directors and stars join the project, until November 2010, when it moved in a new direction under Rogen and Goldberg who rewrote the script aiming towards an adult-oriented audience. Filming began in October 2011, in the state of Georgia and concluded in January 2012.

The film's marketing campaign was affected by the 2012 shooting of Trayvon Martin by a neighborhood watch member. As a result the campaign was refocused on the alien premise instead of the film leads, and the film name was changed from Neighborhood Watch to The Watch.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:04 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Post Re: The Watch
It passes the time and might have been a bit better if Vince Vaughn was reigned in. As a former Costco employee, I was happy to see the prominent role the store takes in the movie.

C+

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I laughed. A lot. Richard Ayoade and The Lonely Island cameo steal the movie.

*** (B)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

It sucked. All the talent involved are just going through the motions. Such a shame. D+

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:12 pm
---------

Jonah Hill and Richard Ayoade were great. Ben Stiller's in his same uptight Tower Heist role he's played too many times before and Vince Vaughn rambles on without hitting his mark.

There were some great moments (Ayoade and the alien staring at each other close range was one), but the movie completely wasted its comedic alien invasion potential.

C+

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:52 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

When I saw this over the summer I thought it was amusing enough

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

It's a fun movie. Don't get that mixed up with 'funny movie', though. It's light on real laughs, but I suppose that's what we've come to expect from Ben Stiller movies nowadays. There are some good lines from Vince Vaughn, who pretty much plays Vince Vaughn, and is the same loud-mouthed, outspoken character in every movie, but he's great. Jonah Hill is ok, he pretty much plays Jonah Hill, who is the same in all roles too, the quieter, weirder individual that has a fetish for the peculiar. Stiller is Stiller, the normal, sensible, hard-working, middle-aged goody two-shoes who always does the right thing. He needs to change it up because it's really boring now. Richard Ayoade was pretty good, and I was surprised when he was the alien. Though, I suppose it was obvious thinking about. But it was nice to see him in the movie.

You can tell it's written by Seth Rogen. A lot of the humour is smutty and bordering on R material, but it falls flat. The alien shootout at the end was pretty great to watch. I enjoyed myself while watching it, but it could have tried to be more funny - instead of relying on saying "cum", "cock" or "orgy" for laughs, actually try to act funny. I thought it was a wasted opportunity that could have been brilliant.

It's a formula Ben Stiller movie, just like Tower Heist, Night at the Museum, and Meet the Parents. Although I can appreciate the last two movies out of those three more because of the supporting roles, but this and Tower Heist are lacking in that department. There was no hook, so they slightly fell into the generic.

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]