Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Emergo [Apartment 143] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Emergo [Apartment 143] 
loyalfromlondon

Post Emergo [Apartment 143]
Apartment 143

Quote:
A team of parapsychologists try to figure out a strange phenomenon occurring in an apartment building.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:27 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Emergo [Apartment 143]
Yet another genre film in the style and tradition of the Paranormal Activity franchise and The Last Exorcism.

The thin storyline focuses on a widower who fled with his son and daughter from their suburban home to escape a violent supernatural presence. The presence, however, has come with them to their urban apartment. Frustrated and anxious, the father turns to an expert in psychic phenomena and his two-person team. They come to investigate armed with cameras, recording devices, motion sensors, and other tools of the trade.

Those who enjoy the aforementioned Paranormal Activity films--super slow-burning suspense interspersed with brief jolts; the low-tech presentation--should have a decent time with this fast-paced, unpretentious, and unadventurous variation, penned and co-produced by Rodrigo Cortés (directed of Buried), but it is restrained by its incredibly derivative nature, and one character's insistence on a level-headed, psychological explanation even as bodies contort and float in mid-air is a wearying cliché. "It's just the wind, it's just the wind!"

The performances aren't so bad considering the genre and the caliber of the material. Fiona Glascott is fetching as the female paranormal investigator, and Kai Lennox delivers a full-fledged, often captivating performance as the father.

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:26 am
now we know

Well, this is like the poor cousin of Paranormal Activity. Those movies are fucking excellent, and this, well, wasn't. All of the "scares" (I think I counted about four) were expected and not scary at all. The story makes no sense and it ends without ever having given anyone the heeby-jeebies.

I wanted to like it as it seemed they were going for something great with the hand-held thing, but it was lame. I yawned once or twice too. No wonder it made $383 in its full cinematic life. About 40 people must have seen it. They were fooled, probably, by a poster that looks like many modern horror films (Sinister, The Possession etc.). It did better overseas, though, especially in Mexico.

C-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri May 03, 2013 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]