Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ted 

What grade would you give this film?
A 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17

Ted 
loyalfromlondon

Post Ted
Ted

Quote:
Ted (stylized as ted) is a 2012 American comedy film, directed, co-written and produced by Seth MacFarlane, who stars in it along with Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis. The supporting cast includes Giovanni Ribisi, Jessica Stroup, and Patrick Warburton. The film is the feature-length directorial debut of MacFarlane, produced by Media Rights Capital, and distributed by Universal Pictures.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:05 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Ted
For over one hundred minutes, this film just fires on every cylinder. It's hilarious at times. It's tedious at others. The guiding principle seems to be: "Oh, the last five non sequiturs didn't connect? Hit 'em with another five!"

There's no real consistency on display here, and the television-honed instincts of its creator are betrayed at every turn: the film truly plays as four episodes of a comic series tied together and presented as a feature. (Also, despite convincing computer-generated images, MacFarlane has no visual imagination or dexterity as a director.) The enterprise is at its least interesting in fact when it tries to play by the rules. The human romance is a bore.

Even the most effective scenes have a slight empty quality, though, because the humor has no definite plan or order or purpose. Just machine-gun blasts of absurdity, and around 35 to 40 percent of the comic bullets hit their target.

Ted has its moments, but I would argue the red-band trailer is a more satisfying experience than the final film.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:00 pm
Pure Phase

Joel McHale steals a natural Will Arnett role.

Is this film seriously going to be a word-of-mouth sensation on the scale of The 40-Year-Old Virgin and The Hangover? It just doesn't seem hilarious enough. Perhaps I was on the wrong wavelength. I did laugh--the cocaine-fueled Flash Gordon party, for instance--but not as much as I hoped, to be honest.

Wahlberg seems a shade miscast here. He's too fit, too confident and macho, to play this stoned loafer type. He's effective in comic roles which draw on and toy with his natural mean-streets intensity (I Heart Huckabees or the best scenes in The Other Guys), which doesn't happen here.

What a dingy role for Mila Kunis. Seth MacFarlane scores these A-list stars, but gives himself by far the best and most nuanced part, lol. And the funniest lines.

Oh, Giovanni Ribisi does a great Buffalo Bill style dance. Such a random and unpleasant storyline, though.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:09 pm
David wrote:
What a dingy role for Mila Kunis. Seth MacFarlane scores these A-list stars, but gives himself by far the best and most nuanced part, lol. And the funniest lines.

Oh, Giovanni Ribisi does a great Buffalo Bill style dance. Such a random and unpleasant storyline, though.

You know Mila Kunis has worked with Seth MacFarlane on Family Guy for over a decade, right? Also, that is exactly what I was thinking when Ribisi started dancing.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:15 am
Pure Phase

No, I didn't know she is part of Family Guy.

This is still a mediocre role for her.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:00 am
New Server, Same X

Seth often gives himself the best lines on Family Guy too.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:52 am
The Lubitsch Touch

That's because he has 95% of the dialogue on family guy.

anyway this movie is not very good but it is very funny and i'm sure I'll pay to see the sequel

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:41 am
New Server, Same X

True, but no writer even tries anymore for anyone else. I'm pretty sure Seth Green literally telephones in his lines.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:57 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

It was hilarious. And really, that's all it needed.

A-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:28 pm
Superman: The Movie

Chippy wrote:
It was hilarious. And really, that's all it needed.

A-

Yep. This was the most I've laughed during any movie this year.

**** (A-)

Could've done without McHale though. He's given absolutely nothing to do.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:14 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

This was awesome. The airplane scene is just brilliant! It even has the same kind of blurriness the original had. TubbyMcFatFuck is also my new favorite thing to say to an overweight person

David no "Click to read article" come on! I feel like you don't post without a link

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:41 am
Pure Phase

The best scene in this movie is when Ted is revived at the end and pretends to be Thegun for a minute. Fucking classic.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:49 am
On autopilot for the summer

Was it fun playing Giovanni Ribisi's son in the film?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:56 am
Pure Phase

Thegun wrote:
Was it fun playing Giovanni Ribisi's son in the film?

Yes. Who wouldn't want to share scenes with a CGI bear, Hollywood's sixth favorite Scientologist, and the leader of the Funky Bunch? An actor's dream.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:58 am
Superfreak

generally stupid, outside of the "my cushy 38k a year salary" & taylor lautner

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:04 am
College Boy Z

Absolutely hilarious. I pretty much died during every exchange between Ted and the fat kid ("TubbyMcFatFuck", "Back off, Susan Boyle", "that's a...really dumb fucking question").

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:24 am
Pure Phase

I know this film isn't intended as a shining beacon of internal logic, but I found it annoying how Ted beats the shit out of Wahlberg in one of the film's best scenes, but then has zero physical presence or power when he's abducted by Giovanni Ribisi.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:15 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I find you annoying.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:04 pm
Pure Phase

All right, lol.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:13 pm
Superfreak

my 38k a salary' made me LOL.

tom skerrit? flash gordon? coulda picked much funnier 80s references.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:36 pm
Sbil

Loses momentum as it progresses but an often gut-bustingly hilarious laughfest. The waning quality of Family Guy of late hasn't negatively impacted Seth Macfarlane here. Mark Wahlberg (who has made quite the impression in comedies recently) does a great job as the human counterpoint, while Mila Kunis is as delightful as ever. This is going to have great word-of-mouth, the crowd reacted incredibly well. B+

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:28 pm
College Boy T

It's ok. I'm with Zingy -- best things in the movie had to do with the fat kid and Ted.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:41 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Saw it again. It holds up. It might have even gotten funnier. Packed house and the crowd ate it up.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:34 am

The first half is great, Mila comes out swinging with a few good lines, it has a solid pace and focus on the humor. Unfortunately McFarlane seems to think he can, y'know, do stuff outside of comedy and it doesn't work. He can sometimes create legitimate tension or drama within family guy but the more serious/thriller elements, and attempted emotion is dull and ineffective. Kunis completely devolves into a cliche bitch who doesn't get a joke after 15min in, Wahlberg is far from the best actor for this role, and the surprising amount of sexism and nostalgia and progressive lack of contemporary/liberal view-points are highly frustrating from McFarlane.

I liked it a lot on the whole, these are just all of my complaints. I thought 80% of the jokes landed I just wish there had been more consistency and less creepiness/drama. I laughed a ton and the rampant support of pot made me very happy.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:09 am

Also, it was really awful to go full jersey shore and then keep the bitch around for absolutely nothing. She barely gets a line after that (or doesn't at all?) but is maintained as a character and having ted continue to date her after the diner really pisses me off.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next