Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Woman in Black 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

The Woman in Black 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Woman in Black
The Woman in Black

Quote:
The Woman in Black is a 2012 horror film directed by James Watkins and written by Jane Goldman, and is based on Susan Hill's novel of the same name. It is produced by Hammer Film Productions. The film stars Daniel Radcliffe, Ciarán Hinds, Janet McTeer, Sophie Stuckey, and Liz White. It was released in the United States and Canada on 3 February 2012 to generally positive reviews, and was released in the United Kingdom on 10 February 2012.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:31 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: The Woman in Black
The movie isn't bad, and I admired the old-fashioned approach to the genre and the last-act subversion of a really stupid haunted house-movie cliche.

It relies on shitty jump scares to an almost criminal extent, though. Pretty lame. On the other hand, the art direction sure is nice. Fantastic, even. Let's call it a draw.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:17 am
Extraordinary

Pretty good. It doesn't do anything particularly original -- and the jump-scare overload is absurd -- but it's well-directed and well-acted.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:54 pm
Pure Phase

Review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=619

I want to see this again. -So- much fun. I honestly loved the jump scares? Yes, there are lots, but there is also tons of atmosphere and suspense. So the jumps feel earned; they are truly playful and effective, not all the movie has to offer.

The last shot is perfect.

James Watkins is a real gem of a genre director. Eden Lake is a truly upsetting and frightening "social realism" horror movie, and then he does a complete 180 and turns out a perfectly creepy antique Hammer ghost story.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:59 am
Wallflower

This is a very well-made movie. I loved the atmosphere and thought Daniel Radcliffe was really good in the lead role. But I had the same problem with it as I do with many supernatural ghost stories and that's that nothing happens. Instead of being on edge when someone is investigating a house for strange noises I'm usually bored. It just isn't scary to me. And that's my big problem with this movie. It's slow and not scary. Not once was my stomach even close to being in knots. I will likely remember it come end of the year for its technical merits, but the movie itself was fairly uninteresting. I'll still probably give it another look on Blu-ray though.

6/10 (B-), maybe a 7/10 (B-)

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:15 pm
Where will you be?

Guilty admission: I'm terrified of the ghosts of dead old women. So The Woman in Black worked its creepy Gothic horror vibes on me, with the production design being the understandably praised stand-out. The CGI scares were almost always less effective than the build up - the long shots of that creepy hallway and those creepy dolls. Sadly, Daniel Radcliffe confirms that he's just not a very good actor, but his lack of depth isn't enough to stop The Woman in Black from being a creepy little film.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:53 pm
College Boy Z

MovieDude wrote:
Guilty admission: I'm terrified of the ghosts of dead old women.

Same. :( Old ladies are SO creepy.

I really enjoyed this. It's not only kinda creepy/scary (especially because of the SCARY OLD WOMAN) but it didn't have a shitty ending! I thought it was fitting.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:48 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Horror has been surprisingly strong this year and this is another example. Radcliffe works very well here and it is a very chilling piece with horror elements not seen in many films in the genre today or used as effectively as they are here. ***

Thu May 24, 2012 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

I loved the first two acts but the it just kinda falls appart

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:29 pm
Superman: The Movie

What it has in atmosphere almost completely makes up for the complete lack of scares or chills. If you find ghost kids and jump scares to be scary, then this is the movie for you. If you're looking for anything that might get inside your head and really fuck around with it, then look elsewhere.

And Radcliffe is not at the point in his career where he can convincingly play a leading man who was married and had a four year old kid.

** (C)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]