Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 The Thing (2011) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Thing (2011) 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Thing (2011)
The Thing

Quote:
The Thing is a 2011 science fiction horror film directed by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr., and written by Eric Heisserer and Ronald D. Moore. It is a prequel to the 1982 film of the same name by John Carpenter, the plot taking place immediately prior to the events of that film. It stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton who are part of a team of Norwegian and American scientists who discover an alien buried deep in the ice of Antarctica, realizing too late that it is still alive, consuming then imitating the team members.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:59 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Thing (2011)
I liked it but it ain't great. A lot of the characters are interchangeable and the CGI is truly awful; some of the stuff looks only a notch away from Mummy Returns-quality. Act two's the best once the film starts focusing on the paranoia and Americans vs. Norwegians.

Not a hair on the ass of the '82 film, but taken on its own terms, it's a good, fairly imaginative horror film.

B-

Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:38 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

The Dark Shape wrote:
I liked it but it ain't great. A lot of the characters are interchangeable and the CGI is truly awful; some of the stuff looks only a notch away from Mummy Returns-quality. Act two's the best once the film starts focusing on the paranoid and Americans vs. Norwegians.

Not a hair on the ass of the '82 film, but taken on its own terms, it's a good, fairly imaginative horror film.

B-

But the thing of it is is that it's supposed to be a hair on the ass of the 1982 version, otherwise, why make this??? What was the point of this movie???

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Mary Elizabeth Winstead is the only good part of the movie and that's because she is hot.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

My review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=472

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:41 pm
On autopilot for the summer

STEVE ROGERS wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
I liked it but it ain't great. A lot of the characters are interchangeable and the CGI is truly awful; some of the stuff looks only a notch away from Mummy Returns-quality. Act two's the best once the film starts focusing on the paranoid and Americans vs. Norwegians.

B-

But the thing of it is is that it's supposed to be a hair on the ass of the 1982 version, otherwise, why make this??? What was the point of this movie???

Why do you want a film version of the Avengers if its already been done the best it'll ever be in the comics and in tv movies?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:48 pm
Extraordinary

I miss reading Slinger's reviews - - I do catch them occasionally on the front page, but I never to click out of the flow of the review thread just to read them.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:20 am

I didn't hate it, but its instantly forgettable. It offers nothing new, and even less than the original. There is a solid 30 minutes in the middle, but none of the characters are really memorable, and over the course of about 7 minutes everything is resolved. And it was pretty easy to spot out who was the thing throughout. They spent so much on the beginning (Discovery) and the ending that the more interesting aspect that was the most like Carpenter's is given a back seat. Now that's not a bad thing, as I would have loved for it to tell us more about the Thing with more research or something on the ship, but it doesn't tell us anything, I mean those lights looked cool, I wouldn't have minded if that Thing at the end still in human form explained a little bit more. And the music kind of kills a lot of suspense.

Of all the Carpenter remakes, I will say is easily the best as the performances are fine, the setting is there and on its own its probably one of the better horror films this year with some good gore, and a decent amount of who done it. As a companion piece though, there was so much potential to be there, but it comes up short as we all knew it would.

C+ as a followup or leadup
B on its own merits

Here's my question though
Spoiler: show
Did the American Pilot turn out to not be the thing? It didn't really transform at all when he was fried, I guess that kind of explains her reaction at the end, but her disappearance leaves a gaping whole, since the Americans did head to the ship, I wish they showed what happened to her

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:41 pm
Extraordinary

How does her disappearance leave a gaping hole? Carter told her there was a Russian outpost fifty miles away. She went there.

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:16 pm

If that works for you, I guess that's ok. The only explanation that's there. Why couldn't they just have an avalanche or something and her vehicle batteries go out or something. Than it would was away at least the one vehicle that isn't there in the 82 film. I guess they were going for a potential sequel. but the only way that would work is if she was the thing. Which would go back to me saying she just burns the American at the end

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:21 am
Extraordinary

The studio didn't want too dark of an ending. The script ends with Kate having to wander through the snow, on the road to freezing to death.

And Carter makes Thing sounds when he's burning.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:27 am
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
Yo Mama makes Thing sounds when she's coming.

That seems uncalled for!

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:09 am
loyalfromlondon

This film is little more than a Thing itself: a carefully constructed duplication that ultimately reveals itself to be hollow, ugly, and far from the real thing. Though it begins with the best intentions, and does its best to pay respects to Carpenter's original, it soon resorts to merely copying the creature designs (albeit with terrible CGI) and narrative beats, proving itself to be little more than a remake in prequel's clothing. But while Carpenter's film dealt (for the most part) in nuance, subtlety, and ambiguity, this one chooses to utilize cheap scares, OTT action, and slavish adherence to genre formulas. Instead of the unsettling, suspenseful feeling cultivated by the original, this one prefers to mimic schlocky monster movies. Ultimately, the only worthwhile sequence comes during the end credits, and that's hardly enough to make up for what came before it.

Skip this and just watch the 1982 film again.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:30 pm
Where will you be?

I was expecting to hate this, but the formula still worked and I was feeling grossed out and unsettled on multiple occasions. I agree with all the critisicms - a lot of the scares are cheap, and the CGI is frequently distracting. Additionally, I would add that they misuse the monster, giving it one corporeal form in the beginning and then an increidbly silly final design whose CGI face recalls The Mummy Returns.

Yet at its best, this Thing does manage to build dread and deeply unsettle. The kitchen stalking scene in particular got me to jump out of my seat. I dig that they made this Thing a lot more aggressive than in the Carpenter version, and there are some admirable attempts to play with the formula. But ultimately, this is a horror remake, with many of the failings one would expect. It's a shallower, sillier film than the original... But the template is strong enough to make this worth a viewing for any casual horror movie fan.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:50 pm
Wallflower

Much better than I was expecting after hearing mostly negative things about it. It was surprisingly entertaining. I liked how it lead into the original. A solid prequel. Maybe you just need to have low expectations. I didn't even think I'd like it.

B

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:49 pm
Superman: The Movie

The CGI kills the movie. Instead of being creeped out or even a little scared by them, the CGI monsters (especially the one's towards the end) got me laughing. They just looked incredibly stupid and cheesy.

*½ (C-)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:18 pm
Profile WWW

Agreed, apparently the DVD will have the original version of the film, before they CGIed over every creature.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]