Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 The Ides of March 

What grade would you give this film?
A 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

The Ides of March 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Ides of March
The Ides of March

Quote:
The Ides of March is a 2011 American political drama thriller film directed by George Clooney from a screenplay written by Clooney, along with Grant Heslov and Beau Willimon. The film is an adaptation of Willimon's 2008 play Farragut North. It stars Ryan Gosling, George Clooney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, Marisa Tomei, Jeffrey Wright and Evan Rachel Wood.

The Ides of March was featured as the opening film at the 68th Venice International Film Festival and at the 27th Haifa International Film Festival and was shown at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival. It received a wide theatrical release on October 7, 2011.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:46 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Ides of March
Slow-moving, but intense and powerfully acted. Reminded me a lot of Frost/Nixon, actually. Ryan Gosling was absolutely fantastic, and although I normally don't like her I thought Evan Rachel Wood was excellent. A-

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:51 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

My review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=468

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:12 pm
Sbil

Not the most profound film about politics I've ever seen, but The Ides of March's finely tuned cynicism gives it a nice edge. George Clooney's direction is awesome; there were a lot of shots I really liked. His performance is also good, although he doesn't have all that much screen time. Ryan Gosling is unquestionably the lead, and he delivers his fourth fantastic performance in less than a year. He has cemented himself as the best actor of his generation, in my view. A stellar supporting cast, including Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, Evan Rachel Wood, Marisa Tomei, Jennifer Ehle and Jeffrey Wright, is also great, with Hoffman and Wood perhaps being the standouts. B+

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:00 pm
Pure Phase

Gosling is great, but Fassbender is better.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:23 pm
Pure Phase

Gosling is the fourth most effective member of the cast.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:04 pm
Pure Phase

Oh, shush. The movie doesn't have much new to say and Clooney is all solid craftsman, no visionary genius, but the actors all deliver the goods. Hoffman and Giamatti are excellent and fiery and utterly engaging.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:09 pm
Pure Phase

It needed more musical saw, definitely.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:24 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

I saw this a couple of weeks ago and while the performances were good, I felt the film never pushed itself to its fullest potential. They brought up so many interesting behind-the-scene controversies, but they are mostly moderate in delivery. The last third of this film could of been really gritty, but then it kind of just ends. The acting though was still good and the points/twists brought up were still interesting. **1/2

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Draughty

I saw this a few weeks ago. A pretty run of the mill mundane story that adds nothing new. But it's well crafted for what it is and worth seeing.

The real standout is the excellent work by Giamatti and Hoffman. Probably at least one of them will end up being nominated. If you like them and like watching good character actors do their character actor thing, you'll enjoy this.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:57 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I agree with Magnus. Solidly crafted but almost totally pointless. What was its message? Politicians are corrupt? Talk about a statement of the obvious.

Way too short, way too shallow, and way dumber than it thinks it is.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:51 am
Forum General

Its an okay film but with all these actors I expected a much more epic grand storyline and all we got was a typical politician is a fraud story.

B

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:20 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Magnus wrote:
trixster wrote:
I agree with Magnus

That's the stupidest thing you've ever posted.

I was trying to give you props. Never again.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:31 am
The Wall

9/10 -> A-

The actors have really managed to push what is otherwise a pretty standard-ish, but well made political thriller. But with Gosling in the lead and followed by Seymour-Hoffman and Giamatti this movie starts to shine and keeps on shining throughout. Clooney did great in the director's chair by taking out so much out of these actors with somewhat of a cliched script.

But overall a job well done!

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

The movie starts quite slow, but then around the mid-way point it takes off and becomes engaging. Overall good cast, that's so carried by the supporting ones, Tomei, Giamatti, Hoffman. A simply very solid political drama, that effectively bangs home the point that the world of politics is like a jungle.

B+

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:15 pm
now we know

Gripping from start to finish. I usually groan at US political dramas, but this is a tight, lean, and thrilling film from a hit-and-very-miss George Clooney. I have not yet seen Good Night, and Good Luck, but Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and The Monuments Men do not put Clooney in a good light behind the camera. Thankfully The Ides of March gives him some credibility.

And what a terrific cast; Ryan Gosling, Evan Rachel Wood, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, Marisa Tomei, Jeffrey Wright, and Clooney himself. The screenplay is the real star, though. It is focused and it drags you in bit by bit.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I remember this movie being awesome and Gosling being the douchiest of bags.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:03 pm
now we know

Gosling?? No. Clooney was the doucbebag that cheated on his wife and knocked up an intern!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I don't remember all the details, but wasn't Gosling responsible for EWRs suicide? And then later used her death as leverage to win the movie? That's a heel turn.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:32 pm
now we know

Nah, he is not responsible. He didn't pick her up from the clinic, so she OD'd. She was feeling low because her life is a bit of a mess, nothing to do with Gosling, in my opinion. But you may have read it differently. But sure, he did use her death to trick Clooney into making him campaign manager, and rightly so - Clooney was a douchebag.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]