Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Senna 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Senna 
loyalfromlondon

Post Senna
Senna

Quote:
Senna is a 2010 documentary film that depicts the life and death of Brazilian motor-racing champion, Ayrton Senna. It is Asif Kapadia's fourth feature film as director, and is distributed by Working Title/Universal Pictures. It has received great critical acclaim.

The film begins with Senna's arrival into Formula One during the 1984 season, briefly covering his time at Toleman and Lotus before concentrating on his career at McLaren. The documentary concentrates on his time with the British team – namely his rise to global fame – becoming a World Champion, his rivalry with his team mate Alain Prost, and his political struggles with the then head of FISA Jean-Marie Balestre. The film covers the climax of the rivalry during the 1989 and 1990 seasons, when Senna and Prost were involved in controversial clashes which decided the drivers' title.

Following a brief overview of the seasons that followed and the technological domination of the Williams cars, the documentary reaches its finale as Senna moves to the Grove-based team in 1994, before covering the events of that year's San Marino Grand Prix, which saw Senna lose his life. The film concludes with the Senna family, his fiancée and his close friends from Formula One mourning his loss at his funeral.

In the film, both through home videos provided by the Senna family and from interviews with people that had known him, Senna is presented as sublime, spiritual, on occasion ruthless, as well as private, humble and fiercely patriotic, donating millions to his native Brazil and contemplating a life outside motor racing.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:00 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: Senna
This is a wonderful documentary - I'd highly recommend to everyone here.

Now let me disclaimer - I'm a long time F1 fan (though started really being a fan just after Senna's time in the sport) so that colours my judgement a little. However, what is impressive with Senna is that its probably even more appealing to the film love in me than the motorsport fan.

Director Kapadia keeps the film moving swiftly, almost like a thriller. The use of existing footage and no talking heads certainly helps this and makes for a better experience. The film mainly covers Senna's achievements in the 80s and 90s on the track and in the sport, his battles with the governing body and most importantly his obsessive rivalry with four time world champion Alain Prost. It also covers some (funny) off track incidents as well as works in Senna's deep spirituality and status in his beloved Brazil.

Now there are many things that the film does not cover (much of which would be relevant or at the very least extremely interesting) - but Kapadia rightfully keeps these on the cutting room floor (though hopefully we'll see most of these on the DVD/BR.

The film is viewed from Senna's eyes and yes its biased in his favour - with Alain Prost in particular coming off as a bit of a villian (albiet a likeable one). Not a big deal as this is from Senna's eyes and should rightfully not be overly objective.

Personally - its an exhilarating experience, albiet ultimately sad.

Give this a go if its playing near you - especially you guys in the US where F1 isnt as well known as it is in the rest of the world. Dont read up on it, watch it first. (BTW its @ 93% on RT)

Grade: A

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:50 pm
loyalfromlondon

My review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=393

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:05 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Trixsters review is quite superb for a non F1 fan, and support the rest of Gez's review.

Honestly for the rest.

This is a superb Documentary. Ok Senna given godlike status by the way the film is structured is Bias. It But he drives forward and uses the narrative superbly. Alot of documentaries could learn from this.

Yea even if you are not an F1 fan watch this.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:50 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

If you like Rush, make sure you check out this brilliant 2011 documentary on another legendary F1 champion.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]