Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Election 

What grade would you give this film?
A 85%  85%  [ 22 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26

Election 
College Boy Z

Post Election
Election

Quote:
Election is a 1999 American comedy film adapted from a 1998 novel of the same title by Tom Perrotta. The plot revolves around a three-way election race in high school, and satirizes both suburban high school life and politics. The film received an Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay, a Golden Globe nomination for Witherspoon in the Best Actress category, and the Independent Spirit Award for Best Film in 1999.

It stars Matthew Broderick, Reese Witherspoon, and Chris Klein and tells the story of Jim McAllister (Broderick), a popular high school history and civics teacher in suburban Omaha, Nebraska and one of his students, Tracy Flick (Witherspoon), around the time of the school's student body elections. McAllister's involvement with various school-related functions masks his frustration with other aspects of his life; Tracy is an overachiever whose obsession with getting into a good college masks a vindictive and manipulative personality. When Tracy obtains a nomination for class president in the school election, McAllister believes she does not deserve the title, and tries his best to stop her from winning.

While it failed to become a major box office success, home video and DVD releases were more lucrative. Following its release, the movie has received various rankings; Election is ranked #61 on Bravo's 100 Funniest Movies and #9 on Entertainment Weekly's list of the 50 Best High School Movies, while Witherspoon's performance as Flick was ranked at #45 on the list of the 100 Greatest Film Performances of All Time by Premiere Magazine. The film was rated R by the Motion Picture Association of America for strong sexuality, sex-related dialogue and language, and a scene of drug use and was rated '15' by the BBFC for "some moderate sex and references".

Election is a great little movie. I had never heard of this, but after seeing Sideways, I was interested. I've only seen this and Sideways from Alexander Payne, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed Election a lot more. It might be because it's more easy for me to relate to the high school environment and situations showed in Election versus the wine-country life of Sideways. Both are great, but I enjoyed this a lot. Reese Witherspooon and Matthew Broderick both did great in their roles. I enjoyed watching Broderick as he went through his breakdowns and problems with his best friend, wife, friend's x-wife, and Reese Witherspoon. She was very suiting for this role. An innocent, accomplished young lady with a vengeful side waiting to come out. I did, however, like Chris Klein's role the best. How he was so unselfish through it all was what really made me laugh. Lots of hilarious scenes in this movie. I enjoyed every minute of it.

B+

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:31 pm
Sbil

Reese Witherspoon should've gotten an Oscar nomination for this.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:39 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I really enjoyed this movie. Reese was perfect in the role. Chris Klein was lovable, and I immediately loved his character. Like Zingaling said, he was unselfish and just genuine, and you couldn't help but love him. I also loved the end, when Broderick through the milkshake, I believe it was, at Reese's car when he saw her later in the city. Great movie.

A-

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I didn't really expect anything great even though I have loved the other films I've seen from Payne (About Schmidt and Sideways are 2 of my favorites) and I think Election can easily join them. It is a sharp, funny and cleverly written film, surprisingly. Its amazing how I know a few people at school exactly like Tracy Flick... Heh. Reese Witherspoon was perfect.

- A

Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:51 pm
Hot Fuss

I thought we already had a thread on this? :-k Hmm

Well, anyway, Election is one of my favorite films. Reese Witherspoon had the perfect role and made it so very memorable. This one is a classic, in my opinion. A

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

I don't have anything to say about it because I don't remember it :wink: Just remember my rating.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

A viciously comedic piece from Alexander Payne. Both Broderick and Witherspoon give great performances and the whole thing brings up those old school memories of bossy know it alls very well.

A

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:36 pm
life begins now

Election is a wonderful movie. Reese Witherspoon gave an outstanding performance.

A-

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:42 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Quirky comedies dont get much better. Both Broderick and Witherspoon shine, two of my personal favorite performances i've seen from them.

Grade - A-

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:15 am
On autopilot for the summer

Matthew Brodericks only good performance after his great teen acting roles. The movie is really fun to watch, all of the commentaries are very smart and funny.

A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:05 pm
Extraordinary

(and not just because it was filmed at my high school)

Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:21 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

HILARIOUS. Love this one. It's one of the best comedies in years. And Reese Witherspoon is absolutely flawless here as well.

A

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:30 am
Profile YIM
Sbil

Just watched it on cable. I had forgotten just how funny it is.

Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon are so note-perfect in this movie, it's not even funny.

A

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:01 pm
Squee

Just watched it on cable. I had forgotten just how funny it is.

Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon are so note-perfect in this movie, it's not even funny.

Stop contradicting yourself.

:glare:

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:41 pm
Extraordinary

Don't have my original review, but I was blown away by the writing and performances when I first saw it.

Great movie!

Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:39 pm
htm

It's brilliant. Witherspoon's finest performance yet - though the rest of the cast was just as perfect.

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:24 pm
why so serious?

Post Re: Election
I love this movie. It never really misses a beat, and I really think that the performances of Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon were criminally overlooked. Broderick nails the role of the admirable teacher with the hidden agenda, and Witherspoon is perfect as the overachiever who wants to get elected just for the status that comes with it.

Has anyone here read the novel upon which the film is based? I actually liked the novel a bit better, and it's got a few notable differences from the film adaptation.

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:24 am
Extraordinary

One of my favorites.

A

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:03 pm
Another You

One of those fiLms I've seen the most number of times but never gets oLd. Lots of unforgettabLe moments.

A

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:43 am
Devil's Advocate

A-

Loved it. It's so quick, so biting, so dead-on. All the performances work beautifully, Broderick, Klein, the girl who played Tammy, and most of all Witherspoon, and what a performance it is by her. Her finest ever - and in my books deserving of praise of one of the 20 finest female performances I've seen. Her facial expressions, her nostrils, her stamping, we all know that know-it-all person, and she absolutely nails it.

Excellent stuff

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:19 am
Begging Naked

I don't know if there's a movie character I've seen I would want to meet less in real life than Tracy Flick, so that Witherspoon was able to play her to a point that you can't take your eyes off the screen when she's on REALLY speaks volumes about how excellent the performance is. I would love to see her someday jump off of the America's Sweetheart image she's made and go for another character as despicable as this. She's never been, and probably will never be better.

Also, that Flick's eventual success leaves you feeling, just like Jim, that many, many lives are about to be ruined in the near and far future also shows just how good a job Payne does at making something as insignificant as a school election feel a whole lot more meaningful and eventually tragically hilarious. I want to see About Schmidt and Sideways again (And maybe eventually catch Citizen Ruth), but this would have to be my favorite Payne. Now make another damn movie already!

Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:11 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I definitley undergraded this on my last post

I LOVVVVVE Election

Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:19 am
Sbil

I have come to the conclusion that Tracy Flick is one of the most subtly iconic film characters in history.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:54 pm
You must have big rats

And I still have not seen it.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

They remodeled the high school. It is now a geographical mess. Grr.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next