Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Win Win 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Win Win 
loyalfromlondon

Post Win Win
Win Win

Quote:
Win Win is a 2011 American sports comedy-drama film directed Thomas McCarthy. Based on the story written by Joe Tiboni and Thomas McCarthy, it stars Paul Giamatti and Amy Ryan.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:46 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Win Win
Win Win is a nice film. "Nice." A simple and unadorned word, but it is by far the most fitting adjective I can muster to describe the new film by Tom McCarthy. McCarthy's films tend to center on established, yet sad lives which are interrupted and forever changed by the introduction of an outsider. In The Visitor, it was an isolated professor played by Richard Jenkins and a spirited Syrian percussionist played by Haaz Sleiman. In Win Win, it's Mike Flaherty (Paul Giamatti) and Kyle (Alex Shaffer). Mike is a lawyer in New Jersey; he's out-of-shape, his practice is struggling, and he has two daughters and wife (Amy Ryan) to support. He also coaches a losing high school wrestling team. Kyle is a troubled runaway (and former champion wrestler) with a substance-abusing mother (Melanie Lynskey). Kyle has come to Jersey to find his estranged, ailing grandfather (a terrific Burt Young), to whom Mike acts as lawyer and guardian. Mike and Kyle are, of course, brought together. The teen's athletic prowess is soon discovered, the team rebounds, Kyle gets a chance to be part of an actual family, etc., but can it last?

The film is formulaic, but charming. A near perfect cast helps, of course. Paul Giamatti has a history of expert portrayals of good-natured, but compromised and flawed schlubs (see: American Splendor, Sideways, the underrated Barney's Version), and he delivers yet another here. Perfect casting. Bobby Cannavale and Jeffrey Tambor provide able comic relief as Mike's assistant coaches. Cannavale in particular steals scenes, and McCarthy gives him several of the film's funniest lines. It is harder to evaluate Alex Shaffer's performance. He is a nonprofessional young actor largely cast for his real-life wrestling abilities. His performance is defined by disaffected line deliveries and a certain Zen blandness. It's effective enough since he's playing an introverted teenager, but I suspect we may not see him in many other films in the future.

McCarthy avoids sensationalizing the wrestling sequences, and the film, to its credit, doesn't build to any slow-motion-filled Big Match. Which isn't to say where the third act goes is completely satisfying. After 90 or so minutes' worth of subtle, appealing, and mostly realistic scenes, McCarthy decides to quickly and tidily resolve all the various dramas and conflicts. It's a deflating happy ending. It may satisfy most moviegoers, who will be glad none of these characters suffer too much, but it's hard to imagine it electrifying many. Which I s'pose is true of the film in general.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Win Win is a sweet, yet funny film. Though wrestling is one of the main points of the film, it is really just a sidebar to a bigger, more effective story. Kyle's (newcomer Alex Shaffer) experience at home and his reasons for running out to see his grandfather are gripping enough. As more information about his life surfaces, you feel more for his character while at the same time begin to wonder how his family structure became so broken up. Paul Giamatti does a good job in his lead role and filling in a temporary father role. However, even his character is not perfect and the way the film handles it is very strong. The film is predictable, but not in the usual sense which makes the predictability ok to deal with. With all the strong emotion the film produces, it still finds time for laughs especially from Bobby Cannavale and Jeffrey Tambor. It is another great entry in Fox Searchlight's catalog. ***

Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Win Win is a very, very good movie - - it almost reminded me of Christopher Guest's ensemble comedies like Waiting For Guffman - - it's hilarious, yet sustains an improbably noble tone for most of it's running time. I did find the final third to loose some steam with a questionable and unnecessary plot twist, but it picked itself back up and still managed to run across the finish line with aplomb to spare.

The acting is outstanding across the board - - I bought the whole bunch!

I love their team wrestling strategy - - WTFIT !!!

This is a real gem that I look forward to watching again!

18 out of 5.

Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:57 pm
ef star star kay

It didn't fully live up to its potential. And some parts of script were a bit predictable. But it's got heart, a big one. The casts were solid as well. It's heartfelt, extremely feel-good. How could I not like this. B+

Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:46 pm
Wallflower

Really enjoyed this film. It's funny and touching and the cast is very good.

8/10 (B+)

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:13 pm
You must have big rats

Great ensemble cast performance.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]