Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 The Lincoln Lawyer 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Lincoln Lawyer 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Lincoln Lawyer
The Lincoln Lawyer

Quote:
The Lincoln Lawyer is a 2011 American thriller film adapted from the novel of the same name by Michael Connelly, starring Matthew McConaughey, Ryan Phillippe and Marisa Tomei. The film is directed by Brad Furman, with a screenplay written by John Romano.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:44 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: The Lincoln Lawyer
It's a dark day for humanity. Marisa Tomei is showing creases and wrinkles in this one. We all knew it's happen one of these years. RIP impossibly young looking Marisa Tomei. You had a good run.

As for the movie. Relatively entertaining, plot is a bit silly but it comes with the territory. Standard B.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:42 pm
Sbil

Moving at a brisk pace in a very entertaining fashion, The Lincoln Lawyer is the kind of thriller that doesn't seem to get made as much these days. This is Matthew McConaughey's best performance in years, and a fine supporting cast including Marisa Tomei, Ryan Phillippe, William H. Macy and Josh Lucas is solid. B+

Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:08 pm
Forum General

Good Movie with alot of Great Actors...but come on, don't give away the whole movie so early in the movie.

Wanted to read up on it to see if others felt this way....and I saw that this was written by a TV guy....figures, the ending did play out like something you would see in a TV movie/series.

**** Screenwriter John Romano served time as writer-producer on “Hill Street Blues,” “L.A. Law” and “Monk,”

Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:21 pm
Extraordinary

The Lincoln Lawyer is like a long cool drink out of pristine mountain stream - - it's old school, man!!!

It's the feature length television movie pilot of a series that never existed except in a parallel TV universe to The Rockford Files - - it's a fantastic throwback to the tough smart detectives lawyers that prowled the streets of LA in their name brand cars - - it's a respectful homage and an electrifying update - - it's smart, smart screenwriting - - it's the hand of a skilled director (watch that guy - - Brad Furman) - - it's The Lincoln Lawyer.

I've been a "McConaughey-niac" for years now, so it's nice to see him back to getting some material worthy of his talent, especially surrounded by the undeniable Maris Tomei, and a whole string of incredible talent... Ryan Phillippe... William H. Macy... John Leguizamo... Frances Fisher... Wow!

The Lincoln Lawyer is the best kind of cinematic comfort food - - delicious, nutritious, satisfying, and spicy!

31 out of 5.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:12 am
Pure Phase

Nothing special. A two-hour episode of Law & Order: Los Angeles with slightly bigger stars. It's not a -bad- film, I s'pose, though it does have a few annoying flaws--every time two people have a conversation, their faces are always an inch apart, the camera tight on their sweaty, tanned faces. It begins to feel oppressive. Its biggest shortcoming, though, is how plot-driven it is. Now obviously a courtroom drama needs a good plot--double-crosses, intimidation, loaded glances and quietly uttered accusations, etc. All fine. But to be great or even very good, it also needs an extra element. Consider The Verdict, maybe the best courtroom drama ever filmed. The case is compelling, sure, but we're also kept involved by the Paul Newman character's boozy, desperate road to redemption. There's nothing in The Lincoln Lawyer besides the case. No depth to Matthew McConaughey's character; he's just "cool," all cocky swagger, nothing behind the eyes. I watched this film the way I might watch a CBS procedural. The actors are all professional and say their lines with convincing intensity, a couple obvious false endings play out, the real ending comes, and you tune out. It's entertaining enough in a genial, bland way, but, I repeat, nothing special.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat May 14, 2011 11:28 pm
Wallflower

You must be going to the discount theater a lot lately. First Paul, and now Lincoln Lawyer. ;) I sure wish we still had one here. I'm jealous :P.

Tue May 17, 2011 12:35 am
Pure Phase

lol, I have.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue May 17, 2011 12:39 am
loyalfromlondon

It's compelling, well-acted stuff. Clichéd and derivative as hell but still entertaining. McConaughey should only ever play lawyers.

And I don't know what you're talking about, Shack; Marisa Tomei is still as hot as ever.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:23 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Matthew McConaughey should stick to films like The Lincoln Lawyer because he does a fine good job in this crime piece. The beginning of the film suggests an unwild case but as each new twist comes into play, the film can become quite gripping and entertaining. Some actions during the trial and afterwards seem a bit far-fetched or a little out of reality but really this is a good crime drama. **1/2

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
---------

The book is 10x better. Translates alright to a movie, but the buildup to each twist and turn doesn't feel as satisfying. Ryan Philippe makes a good Roulet, and McConaughey is about what I pictured for Mickey.

B

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:20 pm
now we know

This is playing in China right now. I was thinking about going to see it, but for $12-$14 a ticket, I can just see it online for free. lol

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:17 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Saw it online for free. Awesome movie. You know, I've only just realised this, but, I love courtroom/lawyer movies. After this finished, I realised that I have never not enjoyed a movie of this type. This is no exception. Matthew M???????????y was great, and he pretty much plays a darker version of his A Time To Kill character, even him being a defence attorney is the same. Great story, well filmed, and some brilliant choices of music.

B+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Tomei is still hot.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Did you see Michael Clayton, Algren?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:26 am
now we know

I did. A few years back. Thought it was boring. Perhaps I should give it another shot now as I think maybe I judged it too soon. In fact, I was expecting something more fast-paced than I actually got. No idea why I was expecting that. What'd you think of it?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]