Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Gulliver's Travels 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3

Gulliver's Travels 
loyalfromlondon

Post Gulliver's Travels
Gulliver's Travels

Quote:
Gulliver's Travels is a live-action family-comedy adventure film directed by Rob Letterman and based on the 18th-century novel of the same name by Jonathan Swift, though the film takes place in the modern era. The film stars Jack Black as the title character Lemuel Gulliver with Catherine Tate as Queen of Lilliput and is distributed by 20th Century Fox. Originally scheduled for release on June 4, 2010, it was pushed back to December 24, 2010 and later changed once again to December 22, 2010. 20th Century Fox later announced on March 23, 2010 that the film would be converted to 3D. On December 13, 20th Century Fox announced that it would again move the release date, this time to December 25, 2010.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:41 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Post Re: Gulliver's Travels
It was dumb. Jack Black played a different character than normal: A fatass loser that likes to sing old rock songs. Jason Segal better have had a good payday.

Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

What a pleasant surprise...

Gulliver's Travels is an old school kids' movie done right!

This is one of those timeless movies that hip parents can watch 25 times with their tots and happily look forward to the 26th.

I was a little skeptical about the Manhattan framing segment at the beginning, but by the time I washed up in Lilliput I was captured, and by the end was completely enchanted with this whole goofy yet earnest endeavor.

...and all this despite Jack Black! There's a guy who can kill an otherwise good movie, but here he admirably acquits himself with just the right touch of idiocy. The supporting actors, though not able to fully stretch their comic wings, set that earnest tone, and anchore the viewer's empathy. Emily Blunt, Amanda Peat, Billy Connolly, and Jason Segel are all great at playing it straight, while the other main supporting actor, Chris O'Dowd as General Edward plays it with glorious comic relish as the melodramatic foil to Gulliver. (I look forward to seeing more of him, and all of these actors - - I'd love to see them all together in a ensemble ROM-COM!)

The story, of course, is a very liberal adaptation of Jonathan Swift's classic satire (eg: the theme of war is covered off in a Jack Black musical number over the closing credits - - very enjoyably I might add). There's a streak of rather bawdy body humor running through it, that will appeal to the 5-year old pee pee joke connoisseur in everyone, plus the inclusion of modern cultural references proves to be a wise update to engage modern audiences - - the Empire Strikes Back jokes and set pieces are worth the price of admission alone. In the end, it still plays out as a broad satire of the timidness with which we may live modern life, and the rewards of occasionally changing our perspective.

Yep, this is gonna go down on the record as another one of those movies that most people simply weren't fortunate enough to see in first-run.

Nevermind, Gulliver's Travels will be enjoyed by generations to come.

12 out of 5.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:11 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Gulliver's Travels is an interesting story and could of been something cool if it wasn't for Jack Black. Black's stint is becoming a bit boring as he seems to be trying too hard now to be funny. At the same time, he also has to add some kind of annoying music act into every single film. It was memorable in School of Rock and Tenacious D, but not now, not anymore. The film is actually watchable when Emily Blunt and Jason Segel have a good bit of time on screen. Though at the same time, I feel sorry that they were attached to this. *1/2

Sun May 22, 2011 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]