Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Get Low 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Get Low 
loyalfromlondon

Post Get Low
Get Low

Quote:
Get Low is a 2010 film directed by Aaron Schneider, written by Chris Provenzano and C. Gaby Mitchell, and starring Robert Duvall, Bill Murray, Sissy Spacek, Lucas Black, Gerald McRaney, Bill Cobbs, Andrea Powell, Rebecca Grant, Scott Cooper, and Chandler Riggs.

The film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival and will be distributed by Sony Pictures Classics. It was released on July 30, 2010 in the United States. The film received positive reviews from critics.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:24 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Get Low
Get Low... low key, that is.

...and I mean that in a good way - - this is a story well told, not oversold, by the storytellers who let it unfold, for us all to behold.

Robert Duvall is, of course, the king - - his acting is a joy to experience. And then to have Bill Murray as his royal jester? C'mon! That's already a freakin' awesome cast, but then it also includes the ever enticing charms of Lucas Black and Sissy Spacek, not to mention a Mennonite-chic Art Director with an eye for detail.

But, ya know how I raved about the story in the paragraph two above? Well, I have one point to clarify about that, and it's a spoiler. For you goons who read reviews before you see movies, I have to highly recommend you do not read the following:

Spoiler: show
The end of the story did not only not fulfil it's own note perfect build-up... it outright betrayed itself.

...and for that reason, I've got to seriously downgrade my rating on this otherwise fine, fine film to a mere...

12 out of 5.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:36 am
Wallflower

Thanks for including a spoiler warning :P. Even if I don't really care about this movie. Looks dull as hell, IMO.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:53 am
Extraordinary

Mike wrote:
Thanks for including a spoiler warning :P. Even if I don't really care about this movie. Looks dull as hell, IMO.

I can understand that some might not enjoy the pace of this film - - it's no retro-Expendables - - however, it really is quite enthralling in it's own way...

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:02 pm
Pure Phase

A sentimental, slender period film with fantastic performances. Felix Bush (Robert Duvall) has lived in self-imposed exile for 40 years--"the first 38 are the hardest," he says--with a sinister secret weighing upon his conscience. Felix surprises the townspeople, to whom he is a frightening local legend, when he leaves the forest to visit Quinn's (Bill Murray) funeral home. Felix desires a "living funeral," in which people will come and tell stories involving Felix (what they have heard of the strange and perhaps dangerous man in the forest). The venerable ensemble cast is the reason to see Get Low, a Dylan-esque tale of redemption populated with colorful and quirky, yet haunted characters. Duvall delivers one of the finest and most nuanced performances of his career, and Murray, at his acerbic, restrained best, is not far behind.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]