Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Switch 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Switch 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Switch
The Switch

Quote:
The Switch, formerly titled The Baster, is a 2010 comedy starring Jennifer Aniston and Jason Bateman. Will Speck and Josh Gordon (Blades of Glory) directed the comedy from the screenplay written by Allan Loeb. The film is based on the short story Baster by Jeffrey Eugenides. Filming began in March 2009, and ended in May 2009. Re-shoots took place in October 2009.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:27 am
Sbil

Post Re: The Switch
The Switch goes down an oft-traveled route and offers few surprises, but I actually quite enjoyed it. While Jennifer Aniston and Jason Bateman do click in the sense that they're supposed to (best friends in a one-sided romantic relationship), the film works better as a subtly touching dramedy than the romcom it has been marketed as. Aniston rebounds from the colossal misfire of The Bounty Hunter here; while Kassie is often sketchily developed, the actress seems more lively and appealing here. However, the film really belongs to Jason Bateman, who is totally natural and believable in the role. His scenes with gifted young child actor Thomas Robinson are the best in the film. B

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:44 pm
Devil's Advocate

I liked it, but definitely in a cheeseburger way. Likeable but forgettable and generic/flawed. Biggest problem I have is the botchery of the Wilson subplot. They give him and Aniston hardly any screentime then ask us to believe them as serious enough to move in and be on the verge of a proposal in what feels like 3 weeks. Just felt like laziness and there just to set up the climax for Bateman.

Also the kid is written too old. He has the script of a 10-12 year old, not a 5-6 year one and really acts more like the About a Boy kid than a kindergartoner. I didn't mind it too much cause a lot of the film relied on his neuroism, but I recently took a child development psychology course and it's not possible for a 5 yr old to know that much, or eg. have a belief against eating duck cause of animal cruelty or go to Wally to make him proud. Can't hold abstract concepts like that. But as I said, I don't think the film works as well with him as a real 5 yr old... the solution is just to make him 10 or 11.

Movie works though because of the actors. Bateman and the kid are really good, Aniston is her usual likeable self playing herself/Rachel, whatever it is. Also really liked Jeff Goldblum here. Ideal supporting guy in a movie like this. And very needed considered the pretty glum mood of the leads. As Libs mentioned it's more of a drama than comedy, and probably to its benefit, but it still helped to have some lightening up mostly courtesy of Goldblum.

Run of the mill romcom, but with good actors, that can be enough for a solid B- film.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:30 pm
Extraordinary

The Switch is an underwhelming effort at a ROM-COM. Ho-hum.

Perhaps it was seeing the similar story element of artificial insemination only a few months ago, except last time it was performed with the ultra charm and hot comic stylings of Jennifer Lopez in The Back-Up, not the creepily aging Jennifer Anniston - - seriously, I can barely look at her - - she's hideous! And sadly, she seems to have forgotten much of what little acting prowess she ever had. Without that key female lead pulling her weight, it fell on the leading man, to get out and push this clunker to the finish line - - luckily Jason Bateman was up for the challenge! He was really quite excellent in The Switch, he's often played the loveable schlub, but here he soars. Without him, this movie would be a total write-off, but as it stands, I see this turkey being a rather blithely disengaging cure for insomnia in it's many future late night cable replays.

2 out of 5.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:30 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Shack wrote:
I liked it, but definitely in a cheeseburger way. Likeable but forgettable and generic/flawed.

I'm confused. You can't remember what a cheeseburger tastes like?

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:45 pm
now we know

It's a formulaic romantic-drama, but it's a nice movie. I enjoyed it. Jennifer Aniston really should lay off the botox or plastic surgery (limp pumping?), something's not right with her face. Coincidentally Courteney Cox has the same problem but it's ten times as bad. Growing old gracefully is so rare within Hollywood, such a shame because Aniston would look better natural than old with fake written all over her face. Bateman is pretty good here, he can act and this film proves that.

The marketing for this makes it out to be a rom-com like Aniston and Bateman are known for, but it's far from it. Perhaps that's more to do with our expectations of the two stars, though. Jeff Goldblum's in it, a nice addition. Juliette Lewis is in it too, not such a nice addition. The boy is brilliant. I hope he gets more roles. I like how Bateman's character, Wally, is "rough around the edges", he has opinions on things, he's a realist and is upfront with his thoughts, good character. I didn't like the glimpses of a typical rom-com formula, like how just as Bateman is about to tell her that he replaced the sample, Aniston interrupts him with "Stop. I know what you're going to say.." and instead of Bateman immediately saying "No you do not, I 'm the father to your child", he just stands there and lets her talk. Another piece of formula came when he was about to tell her again but Wilson starts his speech so he can't do it so he has to interrupt the speech and then instead of it being a quiet affair, everyone knows. These are small annoyances, but I had to mention them.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:02 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I just watched it again and cried. Kind of a beautiful film, and much funnier than I remember it.

A

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Hmm. The emotions must have took over last night. It's a quality film, not an A quality film.

B+

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Aww, the real Algren slipped out for a second. :funny:

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.