Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Other Guys 

What grade would you give this film?
A 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
C 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
D 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

The Other Guys 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Other Guys
The Other Guys

Quote:
The Other Guys is a 2010 action comedy film directed and co-written by Adam McKay, starring Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg, and featuring Dwayne Johnson, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Keaton, Eva Mendes, Steve Coogan, and Ray Stevenson. This film is the fourth collaboration between Ferrell and McKay, following Anchorman (2004), Talladega Nights (2006), and Step Brothers (2008).

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:23 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: The Other Guys
Mr. Magnus wrote:
It's by far the weakest McKay/Ferrel film, though I will say that when the film is at its best it's right at Anchorman/Talladega level. There's a moment when Ferrell goes on this rant about tuna that is just pure comedic genius. The only problem is that these moments are rare in the film and are completely gone by the time we reach the second half. If the second half was as good as the first it would be Anchorman-level, but like most comedies these days, it falls apart in the end.

Overall, it's solid though I was expecting a bit more. Perhaps it could have benefited from an R-rating. A bit more raunchier could have gone a long way.

Oh, and a side-note: Eva Mendes is absolutely smokin in this. God damn.

If it's at ANCHORMAN(One of the most overrated movies on the internet, despite being good) level, then the movie must really be good, right??? And ANCHORMAN also had moments when it to was slow like most comedies.. I suppose I'm amazed at just how much love that movie receives.. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but a little too much fanboy love for it's own good.. And Michael Keaton RULES.. Too bad he wasn't BATMAN over Bale in TDK since Bale sucked monkey balls in the role..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Whalberg damn near killed this thing. He's just not funny. Someone like a Jon Hamm or a John C. Riley circa 1998 could've made this even better. Ferrell is the only thing that saves this from being a colossal failure. Johnson and Jackson are disposed of too quickly, Rob Riggle is completely underused, and the last third of the film...it's just not funny. And what the he'll was Anne Heche doing on this thing? Her character could've been played by pretty much anyone.

Will Ferrell and Adam McKay should do anything possible to make Anchorman 2 a reality. This is a step in the wrong direction.

**1/2

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

There is some seriously funny material in The Other Guys - - hilarious!!!

Unfortunately, it's pacing let's it down a little bit... it doesn't ever kick in the afterburners and ascend into laught-orbit.

The laughs that are there, are gutbustin' great, but the annoying dead spots and uncharacteristic overplaying of some of the gags brings you back to Xatar, regular dear old planet Xatar.

One thing's for sure, the opening sequence featuring high profile police crime fighters P.K. Highsmith and Christopher Danson (played by Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson) is worth the price of admission alone - - the crazy finale/punchline sent our audience into choking gasps of disbelieving tumultuous laughter.

Then the tableau setpieces of Will and Mark at the bar were rather delightful.

Yep, lots to like in this movie, but not enough to love (like a lardass bitch wife wieldin' it) - - The Other Guys is okay.

4 out of 5.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:35 am
Extraordinary

Mr. Magnus wrote:
There's a moment when Ferrell goes on this rant about tuna that is just pure comedic genius.

Heh - - that was awesome!

:hahaha:

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:37 am
---------

A big eh. Wahlberg and Ferrell were funny, but the movie only was for the first half. Had the same problem as Get Smart - the main crime "plotline" was beyond boring.

B-

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:43 am
Pure Phase

Hilarious for the first hour, then the next 50 or so minutes fall flat. This film did not need to flirt with two hours. The final act, in which it almost becomes a straight action picture, is dull and exhausting. The longer it goes on, the more unfocused and uninspired it becomes. The good will generated by Ferrell and Wahlberg's energetic performances, as well as the spot-on first act, has evaporated by the time the end credits roll. As for those end credits (a PowerPoint-style presentation on the economic crisis), they are, to say the least, strange. Sure, the film's "plot" involves white-collar crime (the way Bad Boys II touched on U.S.-Cuba relations), but a Michael Moore exposé this is not.

Oh, and this represents yet another mainstream-American-film squandering of the talented Steve Coogan.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:43 am
The Incredible Hulk

Shake your dicks, this pissing contest is over.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:36 am
Extraordinary

Jmart wrote:
Whalberg damn near killed this thing. He's just not funny.

I disagree - - I thought he did a great job parodying himself. Plus he acted as a nice foil to Ferrell's low key character in this one.

{Edit: One reviewer when so far as to suggest that: "The entire movie appears to be inspired by one of his lines in the The Departed. ("I’m the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy.")"}

{Also, for those who haven't seen it yet, there's an odd little extra scene after the credits.}

Last edited by Bradley Witherberry on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:54 am
Sbil

Reviews are really really good, so all the "eh" thoughts here have me a little confused. I have a feeling I'll like this film more than most people here did.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:25 am
On autopilot for the summer

Am I the only one who thought TN was terrible. So bad compared to Anchorman and Step Brothers, I can't wait to check this one out.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:52 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Libs wrote:
Reviews are really really good, so all the "eh" thoughts here have me a little confused. I have a feeling I'll like this film more than most people here did.

1 man's trash is another man's treasure when it comes to comedies.. People have a tendency to dissect the fun out of a comedy..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

It's pretty damn funny. Not quite Step Brothers, but it's comparable to Talladega Nights (at least the first time I saw it, it's grown on me since). And in a year that's been really weak for comedies, this is a nice change.

The actual "crime" in the film was actually really, really stupid, though. I know it's a comedy, and it's not really the main point of the movie, but this was just lame.

And Samuel L. Jackson/The Rock needed more screen time.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:14 pm
Sbil

Really funny. Ferrell and Wahlberg are both aces here...this is probably Ferrell's most milquetoast-ish character since Old School, and Wahlberg has fun playing with his image. Among Ferrell's collaborations with Adam McKay, The Other Guys is definitely not as good as Anchorman (one of my favorite comedies) but I found it about as funny as Talladega Nights and Step Brothers, maybe even a (small) notch above. B+

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:14 pm
Extraordinary

Gunslinger wrote:
As for those end credits (a PowerPoint-style presentation on the economic crisis), they are, to say the least, strange.

FWIW, here's the aforementioned end credits via Picture Mill, the company that designed them...

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:50 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Hilarious. The more I think about it, the funnier it gets.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Michael Keaton stole the show, his TLC references, son and second job were hysterical. Also the finale of Sam jackson and The Rock, best music and slow motion ever.

Overall I dug it pretty well. It's not as hilarious as Step Brothers or Anchorman, but unlike TN, its a genre that it immerses itself in. I love the way it forces cliches on the characters, as in Farrell and Mendes split, and basically every buddy cop cliche in the book. I got those more subtle jokes much more than I would say most people.

All around great experience that will grow on me, Solid A- and rising.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:28 pm
Extraordinary

Thegun wrote:
I got those more subtle jokes much more than I would say most people.

Bravo.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Hehe.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:46 am
Profile WWW

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Thegun wrote:
I got those more subtle jokes much more than I would say most people.

Bravo.

Say what you want, but I love the Buddy Cop genre, and there are very few I've ever missed, Other Guys had a lot of references to other films that were hilarious. My only downfall with this film is the action which is pretty standard for the most part. Hot Fuzz remains the king of this kind of film, but I did find this one better than Pineapple Express

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:35 am
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

Overall a good movie. Had some very funny scenes, but wasn't wall to wall comedy like some other Ferrell movies (ie, Anchorman and Semi Pro).

The Danson and Highsmith stuff in the beginning was particularly hilarious, and I would have loved it if the movie had them in it as bit characters throughout. After their parts were done, there was almost no comic relief outside of Ferrell. And, while he's awesome, he always works better in a comedy ensemble.

But, again... it was an enjoyable and fun movie. Grade: B+

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

The Other Guys is hilarious from start to finish mostly due to Will Ferrell and it does rank as one of the better Ferrell/McKay collaborations. Ferrell, like said earlier, is the strongest part of the film offering some of the film's best one-liners but Mark Wahlberg is very hit and miss here. Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson's time on screen is awesome and their final scene is both random and funny. The action is good and not overdriven here and helps keep the film's momentum going. Overall, The Other Guys may not be the best comedy this year but it is solid nonetheless. ***

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Michael Keaton was funny. Grandma crossing the street went on far too long. C.

Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

This is TERRIBLE. Last week I saw two comedies in Date Night and Dinner for Schmucks, that work because they make sure the barrier of reality is maintained, despite a ridiculous plot in the former and crazy characters in the latter. The former movie had everyone play relatively straight, the latter had half the characters ludacris but to balance it out had the rest as straight as possible.

The Other Guys fails because it abandons this reality barrier. Everyone in the film is playing for jokes and going outside believability to do it. Film doesn't pay attention to making its characteres REAL, it just concentrates on making them act up. Most noteably, Wahlberg's yelling at random is not believable. But mostly individual scenes. Jackson and the Rock jumping... sure it's funny, but also stupidly unbelievable. Wahlberg confronting his ex at the dance studio is totally out of character for a person in that situation. The stuff with Ferrell insulting Mendes. His ex and her husband running 20 miles to charge the car. There's movies like Airplane make the 'ridiculous' work, but the Other Guys isn't it. For the most part it tries to play in reality, but then steps out of it for a cheap joke.

The lack of believability has damning consequences. We don't buy the characters as real, so we don't care what happens to them, if they're in danger, if their relationships are in danger. We don't care about the crime plot because nobody involved feels reality. When the jokes happen, they're not coming from characters, they're coming from actors. Theu didn't feel like characters being funny, they felt like Ferrell and Wahlberg mugging and overacting. All the drawn out dialog felt like writers trying to find as many ridiculous things for the leads to say and then giggling at their own brilliance. Characters acting slapstick works... when they're characters. When they're actors on screen it's cringe worthy.

A waste of time. Will be one of the year's worst.

F

Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:26 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

You're a piece of trash

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next