Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Salt 

What grade would you give this film?
A 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 12 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

Salt 
loyalfromlondon

Post Salt
Salt

Quote:
Salt is a 2010 American action thriller film directed by Phillip Noyce, written by Kurt Wimmer, and starring Angelina Jolie, Liev Schreiber, Daniel Olbrychski, August Diehl and Chiwetel Ejiofor. Jolie plays Evelyn Salt who is accused of being a Russian sleeper agent and goes on the run to try to clear her name.

Originally written with a male protagonist, the film had Tom Cruise initially secured for the lead, but the script was ultimately rewritten for Jolie. Filming took place on a location in Washington, D.C., the New York City area, and Albany, New York, between March and June 2009, with reshoots in January 2010. Action scenes were primarily performed with practical stunts, with computer-generated imagery being used mostly for creating digital environments.

The film had a panel at the San Diego Comic-Con on July 22 and was released in North America on July 23, 2010 and August 18, 2010, in the United Kingdom. Salt grossed $294 million at the worldwide box office, and received mixed to positive reviews, praising the action scenes and Jolie's performance, but finding the plot predictable and implausible. The DVD and Blu-ray was released on December 21, 2010, and featured two alternate cuts which provide different endings for the movie.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:02 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Salt
Salt has lots of great bits unfortunately assembled into a jumbled mess.

But ya know what? I can imagine this being re-edited into a smashing 3-episode TV microseries!

Angelina Jolie is fine+ as always, and the supporting sparring partners actors are suitably supple.

What truly saddens me about Salt, is it's inclusion on the eternally slumping filmography of the tragically unrealized potential of director Phillip Noyce. After his gangbusters breakout masterpiece film early in his career, Dead Calm, he really never made another great movie, and Salt isn't going to break his fall (though I admit, I haven't seen Rabbit-Proof Fence - - I'm saving it for a future viewing).

In the hands of an ascending director Salt coulda been gold...

2 out of 5.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:29 am
Forum General

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Salt has lots of great bits unfortunately assembled into a jumbled mess.

But ya know what? I can imagine this being re-edited into a smashing 3-episode TV microseries!

Angelina Jolie is fine+ as always, and the supporting sparring partners actors are suitably supple.

What truly saddens me about Salt, is it's inclusion on the eternally slumping filmography of the tragically unrealized potential of director Phillip Noyce. After his gangbusters breakout masterpiece film early in his career, Dead Calm, he really never made another great movie, and Salt isn't going to break his fall (though I admit, I haven't seen Rabbit-Proof Fence - - I'm saving it for a future viewing).

In the hands of an ascending director Salt coulda been gold...

2 out of 5.

Are Bradley reviews like the spawn of BKB - just fantasy made up in his head?

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:53 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Grill wrote:

Most posters place you on the same level, if not lower, than BKB.

I saw Salt this afternoon and can see where Bradley is coming from, though I liked the film more than him--mainly due to my like of Angelina. It could definitely use some humor. It was quickly paced and if you are able to suspend your belief, it is fairly enjoyable.

Spoiler: show
I was able to guess that Liev Schreiber's character would turn out to be a bad guy within his first seconds on screen and I bet most others will as well. I still enjoyed it, though sometimes I find it hard to believe that Angelina could hold her own with a similarly trained Liev, who is easily twice her size.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Caius wrote:
Grill wrote:

Most posters place you on the same level, if not lower, than BKB.

I saw Salt this afternoon and can see where Bradley is coming from, though I liked the film more than him--mainly due to my like of Angelina. It could definitely use some humor. It was quickly paced and if you are able to suspend your belief, it is fairly enjoyable.

Spoiler: show
I was able to guess that Liev Schreiber's character would turn out to be a bad guy within his first seconds on screen and I bet most others will as well. I still enjoyed it, though sometimes I find it hard to believe that Angelina could hold her own with a similarly trained Liev, who is easily twice her size.

Well Bradley nor anyone else here doesn't have my track record of always being correct.

And on the movie, even though it is short and easy to figure out, Jolie makes it very enjoyable.

And fyi, haven't you ever seen a hollywood action movie before as like every time the same good guy beats the bigger bad guy.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:26 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Grill wrote:

Well Bradley nor anyone else here doesn't have my track record of always being correct.

I don't see how you can always be correct when the above sentence is pretty butchered. Other than Mel Gibson and President Obama, I never see you give opinions on anything. Just polls to gather other people's opinions.

Perhaps it was a joke, in which case I thought you were incapable.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Really entertaining action-thriller with some great twists and tremendous action scenes that are well-filmed. You can actually always see what's going on, it's amazing! Best movie of the summer thus far. I hope Jolie returns for a sequel or two. She's really good. Somewhat ridiculous but still possible; if you want ridiculous, Inception is the definition of that.

Grade - A

Last edited by Harry Warden on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:17 pm
Wallflower

I actually really want to see this. I've heard it's a lot of fun.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:22 pm
Sbil

A preposterous but suitably entertaining and exhilarating action flick. With a commanding and kickass Angelina Jolie as the lead, Salt is able to overcome the fact that it doesn't really make much sense and provide some nice summer thrills. Liev Schreiber and Chiwetel Ejiofor are solid enough in small roles, but this is Jolie's movie from start to finish. B

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:30 pm
College Boy Z

As an action movie, it's pretty awesome.

But the film is actually pretty ridiculous.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:57 am
Extraordinary

SALT

I enjoyed the movie overall and really like Jolie in the film. Unfortunately, this movie goes way over the top towards the end and then tries to hope there will be a sequel afterward. A sequel would have been nice except for how insane it gets at the end. It was nice seeing one of the german guys from IB in the film. Chiwetel was good.

grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:50 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Great action flick. Angelina looked gorgeous. B+

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:41 pm
Pure Phase

So preposterous, but also so entertaining and well-crafted. The script (from the esteemed writer of...Ultraviolet and Law Abiding Citizen) is thin, predictable, and oft-foolish, but ever-solid craftsman Phillip Noyce (Patriot Games, The Quiet American) infuses it with a swift, le Carré-gone-Bourne charm. Angelina Jolie delivers a decent performance (i.e. the sequences with dialogue) and is a commanding presence in the plentiful action sequences. Actors such as Liev Schreiber, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Andre Braugher lend unblemished, if unspectacular, support; this is Jolie's film. Salt isn't 2010's best picture, but it is ace, inventive summer entertainment. The ending half-promises a sequel, one I hope materializes in the near future.

B/B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:42 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Magception wrote:
If they make a sequel, I hope they give her a sidekick named Peppa and it's called SALT & PEPPA. I'd def. go see that film.

:funny: "Push It" should be in the soundtrack

Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:47 pm
Top Poster

B+ the most satisfying action film since Taken.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The taser joke was funny... the first half dozen times.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:54 am
Forum General

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
The taser joke was funny... the first half dozen times.

hey clueless one, it only happened about a half dozen times, it wasn't a joke, it was part of a great action scene, it was original as it was never done before, and it ended with that great jump off the road, where the truck crashed onto the streets below.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:52 am
Wallflower

A bit preposterous? Sure. But this is an action movie afterall, and it's one of the most immensely entertaining, downright kick-ass action movies I've seen in quite some time. I had a blast with this movie from beginning to end. As far as summer popcorn movies go, you can't ask for much better. Angelina Jolie commanded the screen. I'm really happy she replaced the previously cast Tom Cruise in the lead because I don't imagine this would be nearly as much fun with him. Sequel please! It's clearly set up for one or two, and I was left wanting more. The sooner the better.

8/10 (A-)

Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:09 pm
Another You

Very likeable spy/action flick but less better than the Bournes and Wanted.

B

Whatever happened to the sex scene they showed in the trailers?!

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:59 pm
Orphan

2001 wrote:
Very likeable spy/action flick but less better than the Bournes and Wanted.

B

Whatever happened to the sex scene they showed in the trailers?!

Yeah. I thought I missed it when I went to the concession stand but apparently it's not in the movie at all. On the extended cut, hopefully.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:46 pm

It was awful. The levels of presumptuousness and idiocy exceed even the common bar set by terrible action movies from Hollywood, yet the film tries to pretend it exists in reality and has some amount of plausibility. The plot unfolds very quickly resulting in a very trite and disposable picture. None of the characters are more than uninteresting plot devices and everything can be predicted without much trouble at least 20 minutes ahead of time. Dull, generic, and stupid, I can't believe this has garnered some supporters amongst movie-goers and critics alike. It was a bad episode of 24, blown up to 90 minutes. Give me The A-Team any day, at least that recognized how inane it was.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:27 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I enjoyed this movie very much. Angelina kicks ass.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:43 pm
Speed Racer

Wowwww Michael A, you got an axe to grind or something? This was leagues better than the corny A-Team, Knight and Day etc. At worst case this movie could be described as a little preposterous. It's no worse than what Bourne and Mission: Impossible tried to pass as realism, though. Don't see too many people complaining about those movies.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:51 pm
Teenage Dream

This is a great action movie.

Noyce displays an understanding of contextual space and geography in his compositions, something that has been almost entirely lost on most modern-day action filmmakers.

And Angelina Jolie is a fucking movie star, haters be damned.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:11 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Salt has some very satisfying action sequences though they end up becoming a bit too much and not realistic. Salt's story stays fishy throughout and a sequel could very well help the confusion and as such, its representation in the film is kind of meh. Some of the decisions of the law enforcement are a bit questionable and other subplots never get their full telling. The action is good though such as the highway scene and White House scene but it would of been nice to have some breathing room as well. Angelina Jolie does as good as she can and Liev Schreiber does good enough though his outcome is a little bit predictable. The hint at a sequel hopefully will improve some of the downfalls of this film and as such the result is just a decent overall action flick. **

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next