Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 The A-Team 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

The A-Team 
Extraordinary

Post The A-Team
The A-Team

Quote:
The A-Team is a 2010 action film based on The A-Team television series, released on June 11, 2010 by 20th Century Fox. It is directed by Joe Carnahan and produced by the brothers Ridley and Tony Scott. The plot involves a shift from Vietnam to the Middle East, and Stephen J. Cannell, co-creator (with Frank Lupo) of the original series, is involved in the project.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:10 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

Post Re: A-Team
I had fun. Umm lots of fun.

PS. never seen the show

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:22 pm
College Boy Z

This was wayyyyy better than I thought it'd be. It's actually really fun. Stupid, but fun.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:34 am
Extraordinary

The A-Team is a grade B load of foolishness.

Now, I'm not saying I mind the foolishness - - for example, a plot so effortlessly crafted that it achieves an almost perfect meaninglessness. That's hard to do!

Nor, do I mind the grade B stylings (at least what passes for B in these days of multimillion dollar CGI budgets).

Nope - - those are assets.

My problem lies with the "load" aspect. At 117 minutes this movie's just way too darn much of a good thing. It's like three chocolate cakes with one only glass of milk. Forget two freakin' hours - - this brand of nonsense should be coming in at 77 minutes. - - I say save the other 40 minutes of quick cut explosions and misdirecting dialogue for a fast turnaround sequel in August! And then the third for Thanksgiving three months after that - - a new hyper-aggressive marketing schedule that would suit this form of light entertainment. It's not a trilogy, it's more like three big budget high quality episodes of a TV series.

I liked all the actors... even my namesake (who usually disappoints me), played well as the stereotype he was assigned.

So all-in-all a well done concept stretched in time to the breaking point. I award it the logical and deserved grade of "B", or as we say in numberland:

4 out of 5.

(Note: If I had somehow had to leave after the end of the opening credits (which hilariously extended for almost half an hour!) and didn't see the rest of the film, I would have had to grade The A-Team with the full "A" grade of 5 out of 5.)

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:41 am
Extraordinary

Magnus Lightyear wrote:
I particualry loved the 3D scene. Best 3D scene of all time.

"It's like the bullets are actually coming right at me!"

Heh - - and the asylum audience's reaction to the 3D Hummer scene.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:47 am
Forum General

This movie was indeed LOADS OF FUCKING FUN. Just awesome. So far the best action & fun movie of the year. I hope it develops good legs like Die Hard 4 or Mr. and Ms. Smith, but I doubt it.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Magnus Lightyear wrote:
Good old summer popcorn fun. Drags a bit, but most movies do these days.

Sharlto Copley steals the film. Great performance. Rampage Jackson is of course, the worst.

I agree Sharlto was great and stole the movie. I thought Liam Neeson was good too, of course haven't seen him do awful work. I found it the movie a lot of fun wish it had done better at the box office.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The A-Team
It's, indeed, alotta fun.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:05 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Once you get past the fact that it's pretty much the stupidest thing ever, I agree, it's definitely a blast. I had a good time. B

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:55 pm
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

Solid B.

Could have gotten a B+ if Jessica Biel would have worn any skimpy outfits.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:45 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
3-4/10.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

The A-Team definitely doesn't break any action barriers but is a sure guarantee for some fun watching. Considering the year has been a bit on the weaker side of action films bringing such duds as The Expendables and Cop Out, The A-Team is a look into the positive direction of action films. Outside of one or two over-the-top scenes, the action stays very standard and doesn't try to overtake the entire film and causing the story to be an afterthought. Add in a good mix of comic relief and a good story to follow and A-Team also remains watchable unlike some of this year's duds. The four main guys are all good with Sharlto Copley standing out in the crowd. With this and last year's District 9, he sure is making a name for himself. The supporting cast is a bit hit and miss and the only noticeable person in that department is Jessica Biel though her character is a bit underused and forced on the watcher at times. Though there probably won't be a sequel, The A-Team still satisfies as one of the year's better action pieces. **1/2

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who has never seen a single full episode of the TV series.

The film is quite a bit of fun. Ridiculous, but that, of course, was to be expected. The cast fits the roles mostly well, but as mentioned before Sharlto Copley is the clear stand-out. I hope he'll keep getting more roles in Hollywood because his first two performances (this and District 9) show a lot of promise. If there's a weak link in the A-Team itself, that would be Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson who doesn't even come close to being the badass that Mr. T.'s B.A. was. Overall, however, I thought they were all working together rather well.

The plot of the film is stupid, no question about that. The only purpose it serves is getting from one ridiculous action scene to another. I won't get into the gaps in logic because I am not about to write a ten page essay (though I suppose it would take more to point out all the problems). The film as just the right doses of humor and action to keep the viewer entertained all the time. It won't, however, be remembered for long after the viewing. As for the cast outside of the main four, Jessica Biel was mostly used as eye candy and love interest with absolutely no meat to her role. And Patrick Wilson...well, let me just say if someone were to destroy all existing copies of Hard Candy there'd be no evidence left anywhere in the world that the guy can act well. It's no different in The A-Team as he comes across as bland and lifeless as usual. He must be one of last year's worst villains. Also, I know, the entire film is ridiuclous, but the team's final plan to expose Lynch is just so...unnecessarily complicated and based on so much coincidence that it is impossible not to at least mention it here.

Oh and I know it is really nitpicking given all the plotholes in the film...but is it really necessary to set scenes in Frankfurt on Main and then have the first panning shot show the Cologne Cathedral (something that, at least in Germany, almost everyone has seen at least on TV or on pictures knowing that the Frankfurt setting is just bullshit) and the Cologne main train station?! Why not just set the whole thing in Cologne then?

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

B+

really awesome stuff... the 3D scene had me laughing for oevr 5 minutes.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 pm
Forum General

Didn't really work for me. It did get start to get going late on with its set-pieces but the whole venture just lacked that edge to really set it out as a must-see for the summer and of course it was overlooked.

I'm not sure why it didn't work now that we go back to it. You couldn't tell from the trailer what you were going to get, not really at least.

Rampage Jackson sucked, the rest were decent in their respective roles. The plot was nothing new, I think the editing needed a lot of work. It did get very meh in parts.

B-

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]