Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 A Perfect Getaway 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

A Perfect Getaway 

Post A Perfect Getaway
A Perfect Getaway

Quote:
A Perfect Getaway is a 2009 thriller film by director David Twohy, starring Chris Hemsworth, Milla Jovovich, Kiele Sanchez, Timothy Olyphant, Steve Zahn and Marley Shelton. The film was shot in Puerto Rico and Hawaii, and the US is scheduled to have a limited release on August 7, 2009, followed by a wide release on August 12, 2009. The UK release is also August 12, 2009.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: A Perfect Getaway
A Perfect Getaway is right out there - - truth be told, even a little too out there for one Bradley J. Witherberry III...

Even though it is yet another meta-movie in a month of meta-movies, APG manages to outfox the foxes! This hare of a tale outruns the tortoise on pure adrenalin, there's no danger of a loss due to napping - - nope... This is a sure thing!!!

Except, it isn't.

I tried to run with this unbroken stallion of a storyline, but it bucked me near the end. I lay flat on my back on the rodeo dirt, when good 'ol APG sidled back and gave me a big wet horsey kiss... Yuck! or should I say Mmmmm!?

Whatever, it just didn't all come together like you'd think the fine elements that it is composed of would:

- Great exposed dialogue.
- Great actors in all four leads (Milla!), and two supporting.
- Great wacked out thriller screenplay that accelerates right thru to the end.

But unfortunately (damn you, Twohy!), A Perfect Getaway ends up being quite imperfect, and therefore I must bestow upon it a mere grade of:

:zzz: :mad: :) out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:29 am
Wallflower

A PERFECT GETAWAY - 6/10 (C+)

Decent, but very predictable and not all that exciting. If you know there's a twist before seeing it it's easy to guess exactly what it is, and that twist ends up not being very plausible. You just have to go with it and leave logic at the door. Still, it's a serviceable enough thriller that frankly, I expected more from. I at least thought it was going to be a lot more entertaining.

Last edited by Magic Mike on Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:54 am
We had our time together

Meh. Totally average and predictable film. C-

Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:51 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

An interesting concept, but not executed to perfection. The film's main interest seems to be deconstructing cat-and-mouse suspense films in which athletic, attractive characters venture into the unknown (the jungle) and then face danger and/or menace (a mysterious, murderous duo). Yet the film also wants to be a cat-and-mouse suspense film and goes through the expected motions. When the film concentrates on the humor (the knowing characters, including a neurotic screenwriter, point out cinematic moments and predict second-act reversals), it is successful. The conventional action/chase sequences, however, are dull; well-shot, but not even close to pulse-raising. The ensemble cast is solid (Timothy Olyphant in particular), though it is hard to give an amazing, well-rounded performance when one is playing an ironic cipher rather than a three-dimensional character.

I wish this film went further, to Charlie Kaufman levels of inside-out references and narrative kinks. Instead we have a great idea bound to uninspired, cut rate jolts.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:28 am
Forum General

I thought it was pretty good. B+ though I wouldn't watch it again either.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Hmmm....now that I think about it, it doesn't actually make a cohesive whole.

I tried arguing that Zach and Milla were scared of being found out and it did explain a lot of their actions but some conversations just don't fit in at all.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]