Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Rocketeer 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Rocketeer 

Post The Rocketeer
The Rocketeer

Quote:
The Rocketeer is a 1991 period adventure film produced by Walt Disney Pictures and based on the character of the same name created by comic book writer/artist Dave Stevens, who also served as a co-producer. Directed by Joe Johnston, the film stars Billy Campbell, Jennifer Connelly, Alan Arkin, Timothy Dalton, Paul Sorvino and Tiny Ron Taylor. Set in 1938 Los Angeles, California, The Rocketeer tells the story of stunt pilot Cliff Secord who discovers a jet pack that enables him to fly. His heroic deeds attract the attention of Howard Hughes and the FBI, as well as sadistic Nazi operatives.

Development for The Rocketeer started as far back as 1983, when Stevens sold the film rights. Steve Miner and William Dear considered directing The Rocketeer before Johnston, a fan of the comic book, signed on. Screenwriters Danny Bilson and Paul De Meo had creative differences with Disney, which caused the film to languish in development hell. The studio also intended to change the trademark helmet design – Disney President Michael Eisner wanted a straight NASA-type helmet – but Johnston convinced the studio otherwise. Johnston also had to convince Disney to let him cast unknown actor Billy Campbell in the lead role. Filming for The Rocketeer lasted from September 19, 1990 to January 22, 1991. The visual effects sequences were created and designed by Industrial Light & Magic.

The film was released on June 21, 1991 and bombed at the box office, but received generally favorable reviews from critics. Plans for Rocketeer sequels were abandoned after the poor box office performance.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:17 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Rocketeer
Saw a sneak preview of The Rocketeer and loved it's retro styling and the proto-Jennifer Connolly, but overall found the screenplay lacked the oomph it needed to really take flight...

:zzz: :mad: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

(The Phantom with Billy Zane is my ideal of how to make a retro era adventure flick!)

Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:22 am
loyalfromlondon

Magnus wrote:
I have fond memories of this as a kid. I wonder how it holds up today....

Not well, I'm afraid.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:37 am
On autopilot for the summer

Yeah really not well, though I do enjoy Timothy Dalton getting very hammy when he was still under the Bond contract. But its still a hell of a lot better than The Shadow

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:17 am
Where will you be?

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
(The Phantom with Billy Zane is my ideal of how to make a retro era adventure flick!)

Aw yes, that was a childhood favorite of mine. I hope it still holds up today, but I remember loving the earnest silliness of it all.

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:14 pm
The Kramer

It is little more than an Indiana Jones ripoff. Jennifer Connelly is hot though (I didn't realize she was that old - almost 50! Would have guessed closer to 40) and Dalton is kind of fun as the hammy villain.

C

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:08 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Joe Johnson really ripped his own film off with Captain America, right down to Stanley Tucci borrowing Alan Arkan's wardrobe and wig.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]