Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Whatever Works 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Whatever Works 

Post Whatever Works
Whatever Works

Quote:
Whatever Works is a 2009 American comedy film directed and written by Woody Allen, starring Larry David, Evan Rachel Wood, Patricia Clarkson, Ed Begley, Jr., Michael McKean, and Henry Cavill.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:07 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Whatever Works
It's fine. The film is funny but, more-importantly, turns out to be surprisingly generous-hearted. Boris may be a first-class Harry Block-style asshole and misanthrope, but the movie, thankfully, does not share the traits of its main character. He also gets a great performance from, of all people, Evan Rachel Wood, who I generally hate as a rule.

That said, however, the visual indifference that has plagued his recent New York-set work is in full force. You can feel his apathy behind the camera. This looks like a stage play, and Woody doesn't seem to have any interest in getting the most out of the material; when you can feel the material really clicking, it almost feels like an accident. I wish he'd try harder next time.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:09 am
Wallflower

I thought this was great. It's really funny and, despite what our main character says at the beginning of the film, it is a bit of a feel-good movie. It left me with a smile anyway.

Evan Rachel Wood was the highlight of the film for me. I wasn't so sure I was going to like her performance judging from the trailer, but she more than won me over in the actual film. She did a great job.

"Whatever Works" is another winner for Allen. I highly enjoyed it, just like I enjoyed his other "recent" comedies "Scoop" and "Melinda & Melinda."

Grade: 8/10 (B+)

Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:39 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Whatever Works is one of Woody Allen's better pieces of work. Larry David and Evan Rachel Wood work well together in one of the more interesting romances in a film over the past few years. The film does a good job mixing many different romance stories together without adding the usual fare of the genre into the mix. Other notable performances would include Patricia Clarkson and Henry Cavill. The film adds a bit of wonderful comedy and succeeds with David talking to the audience adding more life to his character even if he is very critical of everything around him. Whatever Works does in fact work. ***

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:52 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Very clever and funny film. Too many quotes to remember. Lots of ideas that I agree with and have done for many years. Totally a Woody Allen movie. Evan Rachel Wood is superb as the deep South girl. Larry David is always great in a role that was tailor-made for him. Cavill isn't bad either.

About on-par with Midnight in Paris, but better than Blue Jasmine.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:38 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I watched this a few weeks ago and thought it was great. Larry David makes the film. Definitely tailor-made for him. I was shocked at how great Evan Rachel Wood was in the whole thing. I didn't really have much of an opinion on her acting before now.

Of course the whole thing looks, sounds and feels like Woody, so much so that I just expect someone to eventually say "This sounds like a Woody Allen movie!" but that's not a bad thing. As the film says, whatever works.

*** / An underrated Woody gem amidst some of his more prominent recent work (Match Point, Midnight in Paris, Blue Jasmine).

Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:51 am
---------

Hilarious - Larry David and Evan Rachel Wood are fantastic in this.

"What kind of a guy is she with??"
"Well, he's got 4 legs and 2 noses."

A-

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:36 pm
Devil's Advocate

This is a gem. Very funny with lots of great lines, a good take on absurdity of chance and connections, and a feel good ending. ERW really steals the movie and is super cute. Larry David does a great Woody impression. One of the better post 2000 Allens.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:34 pm
Keeping it Light

This is very good and funny. Only a few years ago I really got to know about David and quite the novice on Allen films too, so this didn't come across my radar when it came out. Very glad I checked it out, I think comedies are hard, so often they're just bland or generic, but Whatever Works makes the most out of it. David and Evan Rachel Wood are both great.

B+

Mon May 11, 2020 2:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]