Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Nothing But the Truth 

What grade would you give this film?
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Nothing But the Truth 

Post Nothing But the Truth
Nothing But the Truth

Quote:
Nothing But The Truth is a 2008 American drama film written and directed by Rod Lurie. According to comments made by Lurie in The Truth Hurts, a bonus feature on the DVD release, his inspiration for the screenplay was the case of journalist Judith Miller, who in July 2005 was jailed for contempt of court for refusing to testify before a federal grand jury investigating a leak naming Valerie Plame as a covert CIA operative, but this was merely a starting point for what is primarily a fictional story. In an April 2009 interview, Lurie stressed, "I should say that the film is about neither of these women although certainly their stories as reported in the press went into the creation of their characters and the situation they find themselves in."

The film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 8, 2008. It was scheduled to open in New York City and Los Angeles on December 19, but because distributor Yari Film Group Releasing filed for Chapter 11 protection, it never was given a theatrical release.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:53 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: Nothing But the Truth
Fantastic! A riveting drama/thriller and one of last year's best films. Beckinsale and Farmiga are superb! It's a downright travesty that Yari Film Group had to go bankrupt and another studio didn't buy this from them and give it the theatrical release it deserved. Both actresses deserved Oscar nominations. I cannot get over the fact that this was dumped Direct-to-DVD. It should have gotten more attention.

A-

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:45 pm
College Boy Z

Yeah, this was really terrific.

I am a sucker for a good political thriller, I'll admit, but this really surprised me considering its DTV-status. Performances are great all around and the ending (the "source") was pretty awesome, I gotta say.

***½

Sat May 16, 2009 4:12 am
Keeping it Light

This is a very nice little drama thriller that I frankly didn't really know about till I saw it was on tv. Beckinsale is pretty impressive in the lead and is really good at looking gorgeous with minimal make-up, the whole cast (Alda, Bassett, Schwimmer, Vance, Dillon) is nice and this got me engaged till the end to find out how it would resolve. Past mid-way through the film, when Farmiga, who's really great and the best performance in the film in fact, is whacked, I thought the source has to be daughter. Even though in that case, why would it make sense to protect her so hard, she couldn't be that affected by being outed, especially after her mom being out of the picture. But then, I guess, a promise is a promise as the film seemed to want to point out at the film. So not a totally satisfying conclusion for me, but a very good watch throughout.

B+

Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:05 pm
Keeping it Light

Magic Mike wrote:
It's a downright travesty that Yari Film Group had to go bankrupt and another studio didn't buy this from them and give it the theatrical release it deserved. It really saddens me. Both actresses deserved Oscar nominations (Beckinsale for lead and Farmiga for Supporting). I cannot get over the fact that this was basically dumped Direct-to-DVD. It should have gotten more attention.

This explains why I hardly heard of the film before, and yeah, this totally deserved a better release and accolades for Beckinsale and Farmiga.

Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]